“AKEMI is new name for Miyuki on Solano”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Miyuki Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #374 of 762 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 22 June 2017

Fasten your seat belts...Miyuki is now called Akemi and it is wonderful...the SUSHI is excellent...so tastey and unusual....we loved it.
Nice ambiance.
Only complaint we had was that the service was slower than it hould have been and our waitress did not "tend to us"....people who came in later than us got their sushi before us. She should have apologized...but she stayed away. Poor service deprived the place from getting 5 stars.

Reviewed 3 February 2016

In the last several weeks, we have eaten here on numerous occasions. We keep going back because the interior is so soothing (dark slate, wood, dark calming colors) to our senses. We have sampled ramen, tempura, miso salmon and some grilled beef and teriyaki. The interior and restrooms are very clean, the sushi bar attractively placed at the top end parallel to the street, the lighting is subdued. It is one of the more sophisticated interiors I have seen lately and conversation is easy as it is not overwhelming noisy as some restaurant are. The service is quietly efficient and quick and non-intrusive but they will answer any and all questions you might have. The site used to have a different Japanese restaurant but this definitely feels like new ownership with the face lift to the premises. The salmon in other Japanese restaurants I have visited tends to be on the dry side, but my salmon this last week at Akemi was one of the more skillfully prepared pieces of fish cooked to the moist and buttery perfection I prefer. The tempura almost crackles with crispness and they give you several types of vegetables and the shrimp tempura is really clean and sweet tasting. They serve sake and beer and green tea and assorted other beverages. The portions are more than modest and the food is so good and well prepared that I feel very satisfied with the portions. The quality of the ingredients is first rate. They have been open a year and others have posted reviews on the old site so they deserve to have their own name under which to review them. Kudos and thanks to the owners for this gem.

Reviewed 13 October 2015

WOW! What a difference! Akemi now occupies the same space at 1695 Solano Ave., as the old Miyuki which no longer exists. The decor and menu are completely updated. And, the food is FABULOUS! This by far is the best Sushi Restaurant in Berkeley. Expensive - YES! And, the quality - SUPERB!

I ordered a 10 piece sashimi dinner. At any other restaurant this would have been a 20 piece meal. The sashimi was thickly sliced, and very fresh. Served in a traditional manner, Akemi has the best sashimi I have ever tasted. And, the hot dishes are excellent as well.

The decor is simple, brown tones, simulated wood; traditional Japanese in style. If you're looking for inexpensive combo plates served in a brightly lit restaurant on formica tables, Akemi is not the place for you. The restaurant caters to a young, hip eclectic Berkeley crowd. This is a happening place serving really good food! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Reviewed 3 February 2015

This is by far the best sushi I and my sushi-loving family have had in Berkeley. The fish is ALWAYS fresh, the portions are generous, and the price is right. They are always happy to customize your rode. The wait staff are friendly, knowledgable, and fast, and the sushi chefs are fun! We live close and have been many times, and have always enjoyed our meals. We have tried several other local sushi restaurants, but nothing compares to Miyuki.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We went for lunch the other day, I thought the prices were pretty good.
Get the crispy California roll, it's awesome. The double salmon roll was really good too. The Philadelphia roll was good. The spicy tuna roll was just ok though, nothing great. I'll probably come back.