“Come prepared”
Review of Bear Creek Resort

Bear Creek Resort
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We went to Big Bear over the New Years holiday, the area in general was so ridiculously busy and crowded you couldn't get into restaurants without a wait, you couldn't drive anywhere without traffic, the sledding and skiing areas were overcrowded, stores and restaurants were sold out of everything even Vons had bare shelves.
The resort, was clean and nice and in a good location, it felt safe we have 3 toddlers and our cabin (#27) was a decent size and there were areas to play in the snow. We paid 330/night which I think was WAY overpriced, but I am sure it is due to the time of year and the high demand for a room.
When we checked-in, the guy working at the front desk was AWFUL, he had a bad attitude, was ungracious, unhelpful, unfriendly wanted to spend time with his phone and acted like guest were a nuisance.
If you do go, make sure you bring your own hangers, paper towels, baggies, firewood, matches, and snacks.
I would return again at a different time of year if I could pay less money for the room and I could go at a time where there are less people.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank katie c

Reviewed 28 December 2012

We stayed in Cabin 29 over our Thanksgiving holiday for 3 nights, and we are incredibly disappointed with our stay. We have made a family tradition out of Thanksgiving in Big Bear, and this was our 4th year doing so. The first 3 years we stayed at Bay Meadows Resort, and had no complaints, but decided to try someplace different this year. Having experience with another resort, we have some comparison for the quality of accommodations and service provided in Big Bear.

Our stay with your resort, was bad from the beginning. I had reserved Cabin 20 (2 bdrm) at a rate of $140 a night. In comparison, we paid $149 a night for a two bedroom cabin at Bay Meadows over the Thanksgiving holiday last year. We are incredibly disappointed that we had to pay $215 (discounted by the resort from $280 because we refused to stay in the toxic smelling cabin by the road.) I feel that your deluxe, upgraded cabin is far inferior to even the one bedroom modest cabin that we have experienced at Bay Meadows.

Problem # 1. The website is misleading.
a. It does not include a map of the property, so we could make sure that our room was not right on the busy road. We had to change cabins when we got there because we were put into the ONLY cabin that was 2 feet from Big Bear Blvd.
b. Website advertises FREE Wifi, but we were told that it really only works in the lobby. I feel that your website is misleading in that way. Bay Meadows has free WiFi access in all cabins that has always been reliable.

Problem #2. We ended up in an "upgraded" cabin that was much more expensive because we did not want to stay by the busy street. (also workers were laquering the stone wall and the fumes were toxic) The cabin was far from upgraded in our opinion.
a. No kleenex, half of a sponge and watered down dish soap.
b. No microwave or oven dishes or pans. Only stove top pots and pans. No colander. No bowls. I kept opening empty cabinets, thinking surely there is something else here. Bay Meadows has kitchens that are fully stocked with necessary kitchen items.
c. Limited silverware. We had 4 spoons and they were old and sharp on the edges.
d. The maid never swept the floor or touched the kitchen. She barely made the beds. Bay Meadows staff cleaned our cabin spotlessly every day and stopped by or called at least once a day to see if we needed anything.
e. The heater in the bedroom was so noisy that we couldn't run it. I made the mistake of turning it on one night when we were freezing and it ticked and clicked and grunted and groaned so much I turned it off. Even off, it continued to click and tick for 20 minutes.
f. No WiFi. Bay Meadows has reliable free Wifi in every cabin.
h. No kitchen table or anyplace to eat other than the coffee table. There was all this open floor space, and no useful, comfortable furniture.
i. The only comfortable place to sit ( in a cabin that is supposed to accommodate 6?) was the futon which would only accommodate 3 people at best.
j. There was not even a carpet, so the cabin was echoey and COLD! I realize that tile is practical in snowy conditions, but it is sterile and uncomfortable. An indoor/outdoor rug would have helped tremendously and is very durable.
k. There were ONLY two hangers in each closet.
l. There was zero counter space in the kitchen as well as the bathroom.

Overall, your cabins are cute from the outside, and unfortunately, that is the only positive thing I have to say. They are extremely overpriced. We would value cabin 29 at $100 per night, and feel utterly robbed. The value was low. The service was low. We weren't happy, nor comfortable for most of our stay. We simply just tried to make the best of it, and enjoy our family time, but I have to say that I very sadly look back on our experience with Bear Creek Resort.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you check it out first.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Staceyld67
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I booked my room/cabin at Bear Creek Resort basically because that’s the first thing that came up on Expedia. When I read the reviews they were pretty much all 4 and 5 stars. That made me a bit suspicious even though I do tend to trust the reviews on Trip Advisor. After leaving this place I can tell you why the reviews are mostly 4 and 5 stars…because there’s not a whole lot to complain about! The staff was friendly, I was checked in quickly and given the “rules of the land” and then off to my room I went. Apparently the property was recently renovated but I didn’t see it before so I can’t comment on the renovations. I will tell you this…the property is clean and well-maintained. There are a few things that you should know though before booking your room.

First, the property is definitely dog-friendly, so go ahead and bring your pooch! Make sure you tell them you have a dog when you get there. There is a one-time $35.00 fee. That’s it. Not per-night. Just a one time fee of $35 and you’re on your way.

Make sure you take a look at what cabin you’re reserving on their website. Not every cabin has a tub. I stayed in Cabin #3 and the shower was about as small as it could get. I’m only 5’8 and the showerhead was about at my eye-level. Not a big deal, but there are cabins with bathtubs apparently so if that’s what you want…make sure you reserve that. Also, you should know that some of the cabins are not “stand-alone” cabins. Example, my cabin, Cabin #3 shares a wall with Cabin #2. Cabin #2 has an additional bedroom upstairs and if the person staying there is heavy-footed or if they have kids that like to run around, you will hear all of it and it’s pretty loud. If that’s an issue for you, be sure you choose a cabin that does not share a wall.

One final thing to consider: The property is located right along Big Bear Blvd so there is a considerable amount of traffic that passes by. If you are looking for “quiet” you might want to consider this. The property itself is quiet but the traffic provides an unwanted soundtrack that can be very annoying, especially if you have your windows open, trying to enjoy the evening air.

All-in-all, this is a great property at great prices and staff that are friendly and helpful. Would I stay here again? Yep! Sure would…assuming I haven’t yet won the lotto and have my own place on the lake! :)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Rich H
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This was our first trip to Big Bear, CA. I booked here at Bear Creek Resort because of their fair prices and their pet policy as I was traveling with my small dog. We got cabin #26 and it was simply perfect for our needs. I also notice that they don't jack up the prices for holiday weekends which is most appreciated and doesn't go unnoticed.

The property has ample parking, and an AMAZING heated pool. Furniture in the rooms is nice and linens and towels are above average. The added breakfast is simple... bagels, muffins, cereals. Apparently they'll make you a waffle if you want one, but I couldn't tell where they were. It's close by to restaurants and a short drive to the town... Cleaning crew left a lot to be desired. Barely made the bed, didn't sweep...but not a tragedy.

We will stay again!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Laurenantics
Reviewed 23 August 2012

My family of five (2 adults and 3 teen boys) stayed in cabin 20 for two nights mid week - 2 bedrooms & pull out couch in living room. The cabin was small but very clean and was fine for our stay. The refrigerator was not full size and you would need more space if you were bringing a lot of food. The bathroom was spacious however there were no shelves or hooks to put your toiletries or hang your clothes. In addition, the shower had no soap dish or shelf to set shampoo or soap so you had to put it on the floor which was very inconvenient. There were also no hooks or coat racks in the cabin so if this had been a winter stay, we would have had coats laying all over the place. The pool area was very clean and the grounds and other cabins looked like they had just been redone. Not having a map, I choose unit 20 figuring it would be in the back - wrongo! The cabin was closest to the main road and there was some traffic noise. I would stay here again but choose a different cabin. The staff was great and the price was right. The property was within walking distance to the village although I would probably drive if I had small children or non-walkers as there is no sidewalk along a lot of the road and there is a lot of traffic.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family