“Bad, bad, bad”
Review of Timberline Lodge

Timberline Lodge
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

I normally don't do reviews but future travellers please be fore warned.
Problems
1. Bed sheets were stained n appeared used.
2. Towels were damped ?
3, window blinds not working.
4. Walls in bathroom had holes.
Tried calling the front desk about 6.15 and no one answered the call. TV had only one channel working. Only thing is that they had working Wi-Fi.
I don't understand how some reviews gave the 4 stars. I wanted to give it a one star but somehow the web page is stuck at two stars.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 September 2016

We were told check in time is 4pm. My understanding of that is I can check in any time after 4pm. At 5.15pm I was half way down a hiking trail and I got a call asking where were we and when can we get here to check in. As it turned out, we were close and got to the cabin before 6pm. There was no one at the front lobby. The key was left in the door.
Cabin was OLD, GRUNGY and unsafe in my opinion. The dishes were so dirty I didn't want to use any of them. The water came out of the cold water tap BROWN. Yes, BROWN.
Check out time is 11am. My understanding using my experience is that we need to check out before 11am. Not here. We were ready to leave by 8.45am (yes, couldn't wait to leave) but there was no one in the office. Because there was no one there to check us in either we called and were told they would be there by 10am to check us out and sign the credit card slip. We drove into town, had breakfast then drove back to check out on their schedule. Crazy!!! I'd never stay there again, the entire place looked like it's falling down, it's right off the main road and it's noisy, hard to turn into and out of and the parking spots on the site are all tiny. Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere! Cabin #6.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2016 via mobile

Had a great time with my son,his first snow in six years. The room was great the rate was great very friendly people very clean I would definitely recommend it for anyone that's looking for last-minute reservations during winter months.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2016

I cannot believe this place got an overall 4 in tripadvisor reviews. This place is disgusting. Unfortunately I am unable to download my pictures to show how filthy it is. First off, the staff is very lazy. I asked numerous times for towels (only had two in the bathroom) and was told 3 times they would bring them, they did not. I was told the pool would have towels- no towels for 3 days. We stayed in cabin #1- it faces BigBear Blvd & we hardly slept due to the constant traffic noise. One of my primary reasons for booking a cabin is to save money & cook our meals. The kitchen was so disgustingly dirty that we ate out for every meal. Ants in the kitchen too. The linoleum in the kitchen is torn, as is the carpet in the rooms. I walked around barefoot for about 30 minutes & my feet were black. OMG! I seriously wanted to leave right away,but we had planned the trip with our grandkids & didn't want to disappoint them. DO NOT STAY IN THIS DISGUSTING & FILTHY LODGE.

Room Tip: No good room, but definitely stay away from #1.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2016

Stayed here with my parents and family in cabin 8. This is a set of 17 cabins (most paired I think, so a shared wall and some with an option to double up with a lockable door between the cabins) nearly all with basic cooking facilities, fridge/freezer, TV, beds and sofabeds, towels, some toiletries like soap, BBQ, etc. Their website has a description of each cabin and they're not all equally equipped so check what you're booking. Speaking of which, their rebooking fees are a little high ($50 to change dates), however, they brought forward our midweek reservation by a day with no charge. I suspect they're more amenable during quieter periods.

Unlike most cabins in Big Bear where they entice you in with "only $80 per night!" and then hit you with taxes, fees, service charges, "cleaning" fees, agency referral fees, booking fees, and suchlike bumping up a 2x$80 stay to $400 or more, this place just charges a fixed fee per night (ok, plus some tax but <10%).

Front office was not manned all the time so check-in took a few minutes waiting for somebody to come, and nobody was there at check-out. You could probably call ahead to ensure somebody is waiting for you. Our cabin was a little short on knives and forks (only 5-6 of each) considering it advertises that it sleeps six. The Jack'n'Jill bathroom meant the ones sleeping in the lounge on the sofabeds had to enter a bedroom to access the bathroom.

Other than that, everything was great and we'll most likely stay here again. I recommend you bring BBQ utensils and coals/lighter but I think the cabin had everything else we could have wanted.

We chose cabin 8 due to its proximity to the playground. Our 4- and 8-year old were quite happy playing there for an hour or so at a time. Probably even more so in summer, and the pool looks like (but couldn't try as it was closed for winter). The site's proximity to the Village is helpful. Look for the eletronic thermometer/clock sign at the entrance.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family