“Outdoor Dining and Dancing in Bridgeport!”

Albert's Meat Market & Deli
Ranked #10 of 16 Restaurants in Bridgeport
Reviewed 24 November 2017

Alas, Al Pegorare has gone to that great butcher shop in the sky. However, a guy named Jason has taken over and things seem to be going pretty well. Prior to my 2017 visit to Bridgeport, my previous experience with Albert’s had been from his catering of the Members Dinner of the Bodie Foundation. Always, the food was plentiful and good. Unfortunately, because of the store hours and my schedule in Bridgeport, I never got to go there during Al’s lifetime.

2017 would be different!

Arriving on a Thursday, I walked around town to try my luck for supper. When I walked past Albert’s on my way to The Jolly Cone, I was surprised to not only find Albert’s open, but with a barbequed rib dinner special! Apparently, this is a Thursday-only special they just recently started. Not only that, but there were a bunch of ladies of all ages offering square dance lessons for “donations”! Well, given that upon my return to Virginia, I would be telling the woman of my life about my adventures in California, I declined the dancing and just got the meal to take back to my motel room. However, if you're visiting Bridgeport from overseas, I recommend either staying for at least a few minutes to watch an American classic, or perhaps learning it yourself!

The ribs, OTOH, are another story! They are packaged to-go in a Styrofoam container with separately packaged baked beans and macaroni salad. Depending on when you get there, they might even be cooked especially for you! As an avid carnivore, I went for the ribs! To say they were done perfectly is an understatement. You will need a fork to eat these ribs with. If you pick them up by the bone, you’ll likely not get very far because the meat falls cleanly right off the bone by its own weight! They are also well-sauced with a not too-sweet/not-too-hot sauce. A great value as I was able to get three meals out of it. Figure around $12.00 for the meal. Service for the meal was quick and courteous.

Summary? If you’re in Bridgeport on a Thursday evening and the special is on, go there and get it!

Reviewed 22 September 2017

Alberts is a small deli/meat market in a small town that serves well-renowned sandwiches ideal to take on a picnic while enjoying the beautiful scenery Bridgeport is surrounded by. Spurred on by internet reviews, I got a smoked chicken sandwich, took it to Wilson Canyon and had one of the best lunches of a 2 1/2 week road trip. As I was eating it I was wondering why more places don't put both peperoncinis and jalepenos on sandwiches? Very tasty meat & big enough that it really could have fed 2 (but it was 2:30 & I was real hungry). Friendly service. I'll be back for more.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

Custom handmade sandwiches, reasonable prices and great conversation while you wait. The owner gave us tips about local sites to check out and even advised where to get the best price on gas. The sandwiches were great!

Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

I just wanted to grab something to eat to take back to my hotel after a day of exploring and boy was Albert's a great choice! Pastrami on rye hit the spot and was huge!! Hoping to hit them up again tomorrow before heading out of town. Very friendly service too!!

Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

This was my first visit to the meat market. The owner, Jason was friendly and very helpful. We purchased bacon for breakfast. It is so good!!! Ordered a chuck roast and he cut it thicker than what was on display. Other reviews note his sandwiches are noteworthy. That's next on the list. Stop in and say hi to Jay. Its worth the time.