“Holiday Weekend”
Review of Evangeline

Evangeline
Reserve with OpenTable
Evangeline is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 45 Restaurants in Calistoga
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Very quaint. Indoor dining is a little tight. They do a fine job making use of the covered patio area. I would like to go back in the summer and enjoy the true outdoor experience. Food was very good, portions are larger. Service was excellent.

Sasan N, Owner at Evangeline, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear CraigF,

Thank you for visiting us and for taking the time to reflect on your experience with us - I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the restaurant and our food/service. While the patio is obviously the main Jewel of Evangeline in the warmer months, as you said it is quite warm, covered and enclosed in the chillier season as well. We can't wait to welcome you back in!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was trying to organize a birthday brunch for my brother's 40th b-day. My brother loves Cajun food, so this sounded like a perfect choice. Because I had a large party of 13, the staff referred me to the manager. I left a few messages for the manager (via email and phone, over the course of a couple of weeks), but never got responses. I live 4 hours away from the restaurant, and this was frustrating. (Thus the 4 stars.) I was running out of time as the birthday approached... However, my parents, who live less than an hour from the restaurant, were able to get thru and make reservations. We had a wonderful brunch on the outside patio. The service and food were great!

Sasan N, Owner at Evangeline, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear GoldenCaliGirl,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I am so thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the food and service and I hope that your brother's birthday brunch exceeded your and his expectation. I am terribly sorry, however, that the gap in communication created frustration for you and I take full responsibility for that. My email address is snayeri@evangelinenapa.com and I would love it if you would reach out to let me know more about our lack of prompt communication.

I certainly look forward to hosting you again very soon, and I hope I have the chance to meet you personally at Evangeline.

Reviewed 3 January 2018

If you are traveling in Napa with your dogs and want a great dining experience try Evangelines, they are totally dog friendly with outdoors (heated) seating and great comfort/southern/french influenced food...

Sasan N, Owner at Evangeline, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

Dear Larry,

Thank you for your remarks. It was our pleasure to host you and your four-legged friend. We look forward to having you visit us again soon in the heated and enclosed patio!

Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

First off, I have to give credit where it’s due - the service was fantastic. Our server, Ashley was outstanding in all aspects. Of course, you come to a Cajun themed restaurant expecting the same great specialty food as in the past. But unfortunately, Evangeline’s has sunk to typical wine country mediocrity. A night with no entree specials left us to choose from a distinctively blah selection. Steak frites, roast chicken, veggie cassoulet, etc, all the same as so many other Napa venues. The one Cajun-like dish, shrimp etouffe, was mediocre, at best. Bland and not remotely like anything I ever tasted when I live in Louisiana. Blackened shrimp? Hardly. More like Americana tasteless. The salmon entree was just a hunk of grilled salmon on top of a salad. Not bad, but not remotely interesting or satisfying as an entree. The sin was serving tasteless Atlantic, probably farmed, salmon in this part of California. Nothing like the taste of wild sockeye or other regional salmon.
In spite of other reviews on this site, wine corkage was $20. No complaint there, that is reasonable, but is contrary to other reviews that say there is no corkage fee.
Not likely to return.

Sasan N, Owner at Evangeline, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2017

Hello N K,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with a thorough feedback on your recent experience with us. I have shared you comments with our chefs; and I am very pleased to know that Ashley's service was to your satisfaction - I sincerely hope to have another opportunity to host you. As you know, most menu decisions are made based on seasonal availability of local produce, etc. Our menu changes very often, and in quieter winter months we are restricted in terms of ingredients. It will be our honor to have you visit us again and I hope you have a wonderful holiday season.

Reviewed 22 December 2017

We had supper on a weeknight at Evangeline - been meaning to try it out for a while, and very happy that we did. The restaurant is bar/pub casual but definitely feels upscale and warm. We were seated promptly and given the brief menu for the evening. I don't mind brief menus, in fact, I prefer them as long as the food is good, so we were able to sample a few items for starters and each have a main. For starters we ordered deviled eggs (excellent - four halves) fried pickles (excellent) and brussel sprouts (very good). For the mains, shrimp etouffee and roast chicken, both very good. I was stuck, and our server nudged me toward the duck confit, I'm glad she did. This was the best duck preparation I've ever had. Very simple, but incredible flavor. The dick was coated with a panko gremolata and served over potato puree with wine spiced prunes. The duck was cooked perfectly, and the combination of the sweet spiced prunes, tender meat and the whipped potatoes was memorable. Couldn't decide whether to pair with the syrah or the pinot, so our server suggested half glass of each - perfect! (both great but the draft Pinot was better). It was an excellent supper, and the prices here are reasonable for the valley. Thank you Roxanne for the excellent service - friendly, professional and well-timed. Highly recommend Evangeline for a French-Creole treat.

1  Thank GMGregH
Sasan N, Owner at Evangeline, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2017

Hello GMGregH,

I want to thank you so much for taking the time to reflect on your experience with us. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant and our food; and am particularly proud to hear that the combination of the food, wine and service by Roxanne left you with a memorable experience. I will be sure to share your remarks with her, our chef and the rest of our family.

I sincerely look forward to hosting you again soon.