We absolutely loved our time at Blue River Resort & Hot Springs and look forward to our next trip there. We highly recommend it! The people were super friendly and warm, the cabins were roomy and nice and the grounds were impeccable. Beautiful flowers and foliage you don't see anywhere else but Costa Rica, the butterfly farm, hummingbird area - all so beautiful. It's like being in your own private oasis in the jungle.
We spent 3 nights at Blue River July 1-4. The natural mineral hot springs were amazing -- we loved soaking away the stress daily and sitting/swimming in the different pools (each we a different tempature -- 4 warm/hot pools and 1 cold pool). Most of the time, we were the only ones in the pools. I miss the hot springs/pools and beautiful grounds - wish I could have them in my backyard in Texas!
Things to know: This is a brand new resort, having opened in Dec. 2009 and it is still in development. They are building more cabins - right now there's 12 rooms which are housed in duplex style cabins. They are very clean and roomy and have good air conditioning and satelite TV. The only critique I have of the accommodations is that they don't have any with king beds, but only with 2 queens. There's also plans for more pools and other features. We were very impressed with the property and all the attention to detail that has gone into it. I'd recommend you visit as soon as you can and enjoy it while it is small and quiet and before everyone hears about it!
The owner/management is super friendly, as is the staff - it does help if you have a basic knowledge of Spanish, as most spoke very little English (although the GM speaks very good English, as does the owner). The chef is top-notch and his seafood pasta was to die for! The tres leches cake was great too, in fact, we had no complaints about any of the meals. The prices were very reasonable too. Breakfast being included in the nightly rate was a very nice feature and we always looked forward to a delicious Costa Rican breakfast! (Lots of choices, cooked to order).
The only drawback to this resort is also a big feature -- it is very remote and not close to anything else - if you want to be in the action and have a lot of nightlife, this is probably not the place for you. However, if you love nature, peace and quiet, you will love this place. The view of Rincon de la Vieja on a clear day is priceless!
Must do's: Definately take the horseback tour to the waterfalls and Blue River (Rio Azul). It was so much fun and we got some great photos, which I will attach. There's no zip-lining nearby, but they will be putting in their own zip-line system in the near future - can't wait to go back and experience it! (the nearest Zip-lining is about 1 1/2 - 2 hours away). It helps to have a 4 wheel drive to get to the resort, simply due to the bumpy dirt roads, but a regular car would suffice too most of the time. (Part of the road is paved). Spend time exploring the property and botanical gardens too! Also, get a massage at the spa (if you like that sort of thing), as the girl they have is very skilled and she about put me to sleep - which is rare!
So, in summary, don't hesitate to stay at Blue River Resort. We highly recommend it. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blue River Resort and Hot Springs is an authentic Costa Rica experience in the rainforests of Rincon de la Vieja. Our jewel is the spectacular natural mineral "green" hot spring pools – but that’s just the beginning. There is a large fresh water pool & bullet slide, the spa, botanical gardens, butterfly farm, iguana and frog pond and much more. Set out on several authentic eco Costa Rica adventure tours, all nearby. Eco-tours include visits to gorgeous blue volcanic rivers and waterfalls by horseback, nature walks, volcano hike, zip-lining across waterfalls and much more. The breadth of eco-nature tours will amaze you. Blue River Resort & Hot Springs offers luxury accommodation in new, spacious 720 square foot cabanas. Book your dream Costa Rica vacation! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia and TripOnline SA so you can book your Blue River Resort & Hot Springs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue River Resort And Hot Springs
- Blue River Resort & Hot Springs Hotel Rincon De La Vieja