“Amazing time at Blue River Resort!”

Blue River Resort & Hot Springs
Reviewed 16 July 2010

We absolutely loved our time at Blue River Resort & Hot Springs and look forward to our next trip there. We highly recommend it! The people were super friendly and warm, the cabins were roomy and nice and the grounds were impeccable. Beautiful flowers and foliage you don't see anywhere else but Costa Rica, the butterfly farm, hummingbird area - all so beautiful. It's like being in your own private oasis in the jungle.

We spent 3 nights at Blue River July 1-4. The natural mineral hot springs were amazing -- we loved soaking away the stress daily and sitting/swimming in the different pools (each we a different tempature -- 4 warm/hot pools and 1 cold pool). Most of the time, we were the only ones in the pools. I miss the hot springs/pools and beautiful grounds - wish I could have them in my backyard in Texas!

Things to know: This is a brand new resort, having opened in Dec. 2009 and it is still in development. They are building more cabins - right now there's 12 rooms which are housed in duplex style cabins. They are very clean and roomy and have good air conditioning and satelite TV. The only critique I have of the accommodations is that they don't have any with king beds, but only with 2 queens. There's also plans for more pools and other features. We were very impressed with the property and all the attention to detail that has gone into it. I'd recommend you visit as soon as you can and enjoy it while it is small and quiet and before everyone hears about it!

The owner/management is super friendly, as is the staff - it does help if you have a basic knowledge of Spanish, as most spoke very little English (although the GM speaks very good English, as does the owner). The chef is top-notch and his seafood pasta was to die for! The tres leches cake was great too, in fact, we had no complaints about any of the meals. The prices were very reasonable too. Breakfast being included in the nightly rate was a very nice feature and we always looked forward to a delicious Costa Rican breakfast! (Lots of choices, cooked to order).

The only drawback to this resort is also a big feature -- it is very remote and not close to anything else - if you want to be in the action and have a lot of nightlife, this is probably not the place for you. However, if you love nature, peace and quiet, you will love this place. The view of Rincon de la Vieja on a clear day is priceless!

Must do's: Definately take the horseback tour to the waterfalls and Blue River (Rio Azul). It was so much fun and we got some great photos, which I will attach. There's no zip-lining nearby, but they will be putting in their own zip-line system in the near future - can't wait to go back and experience it! (the nearest Zip-lining is about 1 1/2 - 2 hours away). It helps to have a 4 wheel drive to get to the resort, simply due to the bumpy dirt roads, but a regular car would suffice too most of the time. (Part of the road is paved). Spend time exploring the property and botanical gardens too! Also, get a massage at the spa (if you like that sort of thing), as the girl they have is very skilled and she about put me to sleep - which is rare!

So, in summary, don't hesitate to stay at Blue River Resort. We highly recommend it. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Blue_River_Video, Owner at Blue River Resort & Hot Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2011

Thank you so much for you kind review. We would like to address some feedback about the location. We are 60 km from Upala and the last 25 km is on gravel road. Its the less traveled route, but there are signs to the hotel and don't hesitate to stop and ask. Please understand that some signs have been stolen, but we try to replace. From Liberia, the final 20 km is on gravel road too. The most common question asked is whether a 4x4 is necessary and the answer is NO. Also, keep in mind that your trip will be very interesting and beautiful. From Upala you'll drive past many plantations and through quaint villages. The roads are safe from crime and you'll see a very different side of life. From Liberia the views are fabulous, with the Cacao mountains on one side and the Rincon de la Vieja coming into view on the other. Near the end of this road (just a little past Blue River, where we take guests for excursions) it is possible see Lake Nicaragua. Along the route you'll climb into the mountains and then enter a lush rainforest valley. We think the rewards more than make up for that effort.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,030)

Reviewed 12 July 2010

This escape was a true memory with a blue water river and beautiful hot pools. The grounds are immaculate and a paradise setting with the palnts. Wish my home looked as good. Great cabinas but make sure one will be available if you stay over/ Next time i will stay over as it is soooo relaxing. If you like nature this is a neat spot.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2010

My wife and I stayed few days at the Blue River Resort & Hot Springs. The place is amazing, we spent our time using the Natural Hot Springs, seeing the butterfly Farm and walking through the Botanical Gardens,
The accomodation is first class and so is the service.
I higely recommend this place and looking forward to return to the resort next year again for vacation.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2010

It was a dream come true!
away from the ordinary. friendly staff with genuine smiles, specious rooms / cabins
No doubt nature has a great part in the this wonder 2 nights vacation... have met nature in creation... enjoyed hot mineral pools, horse riding and tempting food.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2010

I live about 50 miles from the Blue River resort and had read about it and decided to make a visit one Sunday. Basically, I went to have lunch and look around.

It is a beautiful place, well-thought out, lovely gardens and nice buildings. At recepcion, I was met by a friendly young woman and I asked if I could just have lunch. "Of course!" she replied and told me to drive in and park in the parking lot about 100 meters away from the entrance. She opened the gate for me and I did as I was told. (Excellent security, by the way) I was met by a young man who took me on a little tour of the facilities - great gym and excellent massage rooms, sauna and steam room - and on to the restaurant.

I had an excellent lunch - great salad, rice with shrimps and French fries. Everything was well cooked, there was a huge amount of rice and a good amount of shrimps and the salad had a nice variety with hearts of palm and avocado in addition to the standard tomato and cucumber. The chef plated the rice in the form of a volcano and put a couple of streams of ketchup to resemble lava flow. It was kind of cute - but really reminded me of Arenal Volcano, not where I was eating. The menu was extensive with a nice selection of both typical Costa Rican dishes and others. One of the things that startled me from the appetizer section was hummus with pita bread. I was tempted...

I looked around and took some photos and the cottages look really nice. All the work and decor that I saw was tasteful and often elegant so I think the cottages will be very comfortable and furnished nicely. I did not go inside, however.

All the staff, including my waiter for lunch, were very friendly and seemed caring.

For me, the downside would be the location. It is far away from anything, deep in the countryside and about 20 km down a gravel road so getting there is not quick or easy. I would, however, recommend it to anyone who is stressed out and looking for a peaceful getaway. It is quiet and there are some things to do and with the sauna, steam room and massages available, they could put you right very quickly.

The only other negative was that the dining room was open air and it was very hot when I was there and I think there would be a lot of mosquitoes at night. There is a fairly large bar and two TV's - which I normally don't like in a dining room but that day, I managed to watch one of the World Cup matches.

There was an extended family eating while I was there - a total of three adults and a child - and the waiter was very attentive to their every need, which seemed to be many.

Would I recommend staying here? Maybe. If you don't mind the location, I think everything would be fine. I am sure they have activities in the area for people to do.

I didn't drive from Liberia, which is what the directions describe, but from Upala. It is about 40 miles from Upala and at least half of that is gravel road. Probably 5 miles of that is rough road.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
37.3 km away
Rio Perdido
Rio Perdido
#1 of 1 in Bagaces

Been to Blue River Resort & Hot Springs? Share your experiences!