Hotel Hacienda Guachipelin(Rincon de La Vieja)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$104
US$78
Free cancellation until 29/07
US$114
US$110
  • Breakfast included
Blue River Resort & Hot Springs(Rincon de La Vieja)
US$160
US$94
  • Breakfast included
Rinconcito Lodge(Rincon de La Vieja)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 04/08
US$59
US$57
  • Pool
Canon de la Vieja Lodge(Rincon de La Vieja)
Free cancellation until 29/07
US$60
  • Pool
US$68
US$61
All reviewshot waterbeautiful settingnational parktrailcabinhammocksnaturevolcanoproximitytransportation
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Rincon was one of our favorite stops on a recent visit to Costa Rica. On the hotel's extensive grounds we saw howler monkeys, very unusual birds, insects and other creatures. Our cabin backed onto a little stream that serenaded us all night long. The most amazing flowers grow all over the grounds, but especially by the stream. The food was great, and we found it to be the most reasonably priced food of our entire trip. Carlos, the head wait staff was awesome. So helpful, knowledgeable and professional. The swimming pool is small but very refreshing. It was delightful. The national park is amazing. We also really enjoyed seeing the extensive geothermal plants harnessing all that volcanic energy. Distribution lines head north, carrying renewable power to Nicaragua and Mexico! I just wish we had scheduled more time there.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Liz R
Reviewed 12 April 2012

The place is in a very beautiful natural setting VERY close to the entrance of the Rincon de la Vieja National Park. You can make it a very healthy active vacation by going to the park for trail walks. Breakfast was included but the other meals are extremely expensive for what you get. Since we had a car we were able to drive back into Liberia for lunch and dinner the next day but this isn't convenient for everybody.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We travel a lot in many different parts of the world, but this was one of the worst "hotels" ever! We stayed here with a group and our guide warned us to search our rooms for scorpions and snakes, that sometimes sleep under the beds or the sheets. We wondered how this could happen in a closed setting but when we saw the "room" we had a slight notion. There were holes in the wall where we could stick our hands through and where all kinds of animals could easily crawl through. The floors were dirty and wax was all over it. There was no hot water and the floor in the bathroom was so broken that you could easily be hurt when you went into the bathroom barefoot ( what I normally do when I like to take a shower). Around the lodge is a heavy wind blowing all year round. The wind was so strong and the rooms so poor that our window curtains were blown horizontally into the room - and the beds were under the window. Last but not least: the wind pulled the roof of our hut (no. 47) 15cm high, only to let it down with a very loud crash - every five minutes, all night long. I don´t know why people dare to call this hotel "rustic", but I think of a lot of other words when I try to describe it. Best thing is: STAY AWAY

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hasile
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I stayed here for three days and two nights in February 2012 and enjoyed the place very much. Rooms are simple, sparse and dated, but they were clean and the bed was moderately comfortable. The stand-alone lodges/cabins were a bit more spacious and nicer. For example, there were no electrical outlets in the rooms save for one near the ceiling that had the fan plugged into it. So, to charge ones phone or camera you'd need an extension cord to reach down from that height. Luxury, this place is not, but it is very close to the National Park and the grounds are well maintained. There were no safes in the rooms I saw. I didn't inquire about them at checkin nor did I have them take my few important documents and money. I just carried them on me to the Park and while staying here. I think there are about 20 cabins and then another 20 regular rooms in the well laid out grounds. Breakfast (included for free with room) was good, as was dinner ($16 extra, but was worth it). I found the food simple, yet well prepared and you can eat as much as you like. Also, the food was some of the more authentic Costa Rican food I encountered on my one week trip. The bar is nice, and the beer was cheap (~$2.25) and cold. They prefer you charge bar and meal items to your room. Upon checkout there were no issues with the charges. The staff was friendly overall, despite having no record of my reservation even when I passed them the email copy that I had printed and brought with me. The only one not so nice was this guy at check in. Rooms were $55-85, I paid 65/night.

Sunsets from the trail above the lodge were well worth the 15 minute hikes. You can see the ocean and some nearer hills. Also you are only about 2km from the Las Pailas entrance to Rincon de la Vieja National Park. You can drive there too but walking is fine, though it is a bit of an uphill.

Cons: skylight in room was subpar, covered in leaves and discolored. There were ants in my room around the bathroom sink. There were larger groups, tours, when I was there making it harder to meet other guest to talk about the park, etc.

Other notes: plenty of hot water, hammocks outside each room with nice views of the garden. Birds a plenty on the property itself, along with some lizards and a really cool large toad seen at night. There are hot springs on the property but I didn't visit them, spending my time instead at the Park. Note, park is closed on Mondays and they won't let you in there after 3pm, but you can still stay there after then if you were checked into the gate by 3. Park is $10 for visitors and $1 for locals. Bring ID or passport to the park as you need it to check in.

Room Tip: ask to see the rooms or cabins first, all seem fine but for taller travelers (6ft/2m+) you may bang your head on the overhangs on some of the regular rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank KeystoneBill
Reviewed 16 January 2012

we spent 3 nights there and really enjoyed our cabin by the pound and the little stream, the cabin is rustic but very comfortable and clean. views volcano, as close to the park as you can be, beautiful trails start from the lodge property into the forest, gorgeous garden. We had a fantastic time there, the staff was very nice and helpful. i definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family