“Mexican comfort food in a vintage atmosphere”
Review of El Burro

El Burro
Ranked #22 of 198 Restaurants in Campbell
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 1 September 2017

This looks like any Californian/Mexican - or anywhere/Mexican restaurant - from the 1990's, and the food brings back memories of Mexican comfort food at its best. The decor is dark and retro, there are lots of different rooms and spaces, but the food is what draws folks. It's not haute cuisine - it's basic Mexican food, done well and offered in generous portions. The menu is extensive, and Mario's sauces distinguish their various meat offerings. I had a baked beef offering, and I have to say it's hard to achieve a medium-rare fall-apart beef when it's baked in sauces and tortillas, but El Burro did it. I love their hot salsa as well, and they make a great house margarita. This is my second visit; as with my first, I could even finish my entree, but enjoyed every bite.

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

Very large two-story restaurant where you can usually get a table quickly. Good Mexican food in a very nice atmosphere with stylish Spanish interior. Great place for talking as it is not a loud restaurant. Outside patio is nice, but the Pruneyard Shopping Center is currently under renovation (as of August 2017, presumably this may get done by early 2018). As a result, the patio is temporarily closed.

Service was attentive and friendly, and the food was delicious. Salsa is medium hot and tasty. My only criticism was that the complementary corn chips were stale. We sent them back, got another basket, and those were also stale. This was a Thursday afternoon lunch, and this is the first time I remember stale chips at this restaurant; hopefully this is just a fluke. I will return again for more good food.

Reviewed 13 August 2017

In April 2017 I treated my team to a wonderful authentic Mexican luncheon recognition along with tasty burritos, combination plates and awesome Margaritas! I awarded them their special Thank You Messages and Thanked them for all their hard work and commitment for making my company successful! The service was fast, friendly and always checking back if we needed anything, the portions are large and you can get a take out, also they will box it up for you. They service here is outstanding and they can accommodate large groups for personal or for business, We love it here!!

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Everyone knows El Burro, and just about everyone in the San Jose area has eaten there. It has a great outdoor area and a vast indoor area. It is quite popular, the food is good and the prices are good, as well. There are times when I feel the food isn't as authentic as I would like, but most people truly enjoy getting together at this restaurant. It is especially great for groups. I, personally, love sitting at the bar with a friend enjoying the margaritas. The service is really good, and their waiters work there for years because the environment is so friendly.

Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

I went there last night with friends. The pros - large servings of food at a decent price with fast service even when full. The chefs seemingly love cheese cuz you get about a pound with every dish. The cons - loud, everything is sauced, copious amounts of cheese. In general the food is really below average. I could not eat all of mine nor did I want to finish it. Literally every dish appeared to have he same generic Sauce that was not enhancing the flair more like masking. The beef in my taco did not taste like beef and was black. It looked dried beef. Chips were over fried and the guac was plentiful but not really delicious. The salsa was just too spicy and I like spicy, but this was watery and spicy. Margaritas were just strong tasting and again no flavor. I love Tex mex food but as we all sat there with ridiculous amounts of food in front of us not one person actually enjoyed the food. We just ate and talked and the food was not the highlight. The service was prompt but I had to ask twice if they would come clear our saucy, cheesy plates away because just looking at them reminded me that we just wasted a meal with food that no one enjoyed. If you are very hungry, like simple food and are on a tight budget this might serve a purpose. But in a town surrounded by many restaurants where the owners put their souls into their dishes this misses the mark by a mile.

Been to El Burro? Share your experiences!