Lowest prices for your stay
Rakuten Travel
Agoda.com
US$168
View deal
Hotels.com
Expedia.comUS$189
ZenHotels.comUS$243
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 February 2018

I absolutely loved staying at the Kanro no Mori. I was there on a snowboarding vacation for six days and it was constantly delightful and quintessentially Japanese, with most of the guests being from Japan. Previously, I had stayed at the Green Leaf hotel in Niseko, but I found it was populated mostly with foreign visitors and thus lacked a degree of Japanese culture I was looking for.. The rooms are very large, by Japanese standards and mine had an entire dining/sitting room (with a table and chairs about two feet tall) that made the room seem like an entire apartment. The breakfast buffet was extensive and full of unique options, so that no two ever had to be the same. The on-sen was extremely relaxing (with both outdoor and indoor pools) and the addition of cold pool was a big plus. The staff was attentive and very eager to help, although there were a few moments of consternation (on both sides) as we tried to bridge the language gap. One local gem was the nearby Moiwa Ski resort. It is a smallish resort by local standards, but the vast backcountry, the inexpensive lift tickets and the abundance of powder made it quite fulfilling. For a real Japanese ski/boarding experience you should definitely check out this hotel.

Date of stay: February 2018
Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

Even before our trip the hotel already contacted us for the details on how to get to their location. All our queries were promptly responded to. Upon arrival we had warm welcome from their staff. We arrived late in the evening and they politely instructed us to have dinner first (included in our package) as their restaurant will close by 9pm. The food is also delicious. Their staff is kind to answer our queries regarding the ski activity for the next day. Their breakfast is also good and have lots of choices. They have free shuttle bus from/to the ski area and they will also share their schedule for your reference. On our second day, we had a room with open air bath and unexpectedly the area is big with free welcome snack (tea and rice cake). Overall, it was a great experience for us.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ailene11
Reviewed 7 March 2017

Not at all familiar with the area, we thought that the Kanro no Mori Hotel would have been closer to the ski areas and restaurants, unfortunately not. There is a shuttle service offered sporadically, but finish early so it's an expensive cab ride back to hotel. Food was mediocre, the staff that did speak English were very helpful. Rooms were ok, pillows are horrendous. Not much to do there, and during the day it's difficult to get a snack or a coffee. The entire Niseko area is beautiful, next time I would stay closer to town.

Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank CharlotteR846
Reviewed 7 February 2017

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Hotel Kanro no Mori. The breakfast was quite nice- very fresh. The hotel is very peaceful and spacious with kind and helpful staff. We especially liked the individual ski lockers with one dedicated to each room. The ski bus to NOOK Annupuri is convenient, although we would have liked to see just a couple more morning drop-off times on the schedule. After the 9am bus, the next one isn't until 10:10am. A 9:30 bus would be great! The onsen was nice and spacious as well- the outdoor bath is a nice treat with a beautiful snowy view in the winter.

Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank MCat194
Reviewed 25 January 2017

My boyfriend booked two rooms here via Agoda. We originally considered getting one big suite for five people but in the end booked one room for myself and him, one room for my parents and sister, which was specifically labeled as a room for 2-3 people. What everyone should realize is that most of these hotels charge per person and they will not bend or be flexible in any way shape or form.

Upon checking in, we asked for an extra futon in my parents' room and that's when they decided that they had to charge for the extra person, even though my boyfriend explained in fluent Japanese that he had already paid for a three person room. If my boyfriend didn't speak Japanese, we would have been in serious trouble because their English was not good enough to have anywhere near that conversation. The extra charge per person was so outrageously expensive, that it would have been cheaper for all of us to be in their biggest suite but it was too late to change into that.

The extra charge covered breakfast and the futon, but not anything else, so they don't provide extra towels or extra yukata outfit to wear to the onsen. Not exactly convenient.

We then asked them to get us a taxi to go to the slopes but they said they called all the taxi companies and there was no taxi for another hour. My boyfriend then called one random number we had and was able to get a cab right away so we were not impressed.

The location is a bit away from the slopes so it's quiet but they do provide free shuttle services. Watch out though because the shuttles don't always run so you have to call them and book your return time in advance; otherwise, the shuttle won't run. But again, with their limited English, this isn't always easy to arrange.

The breakfast buffet is fine, their lunch and dinner options are limited. It's average but compared to the quality of food one can get in Japan for those prices, it's quite disappointing.

The internet doesn't really work (and they have no means to fix it), and they had no idea what I was saying so forget about it.

On the day of check out, four of us were going skiing one more time while my mother wanted a break. We asked to delay check out for one room for one hour, and the answer was a resounding NO unless we paid for one more night. Definitely not helpful and not flexible in the least. They also wouldn't let us store any of our luggage at the front desk because they were for guests checking IN only. So we had to drag five suitcases to their ski center (a small walk away without having to go outside, thankfully), deposit them there, and later when returning had to go pick up the luggage from the ski center back to the main lobby to take the shuttle to the train station.

We were going to Noboribetsu afterwards and the hotel staff provided us with the train times (we needed to change trains as well) and arranged a shuttle which was helpful. But we got to the train station and realized their information was completely incorrect. Luckily, the time table the hotel had was earlier than the actual arrival time of the train so we wasted a little bit of time but much better than say, missing the train altogether. Maybe if their internet was working, we could have Googled the information ourselves!

I realize we were there during peak time (immediately after Christmas) but for the prices we were paying, I thought their effort in making their guests as comfortable as possible was laughable and definitely not the normal standard of Japanese hospitality. The individuals were nice but so tied up in their own rules and policies that they didn't realize they were alienating their guests and their needs, which theoretically should be a top priority. Very disappointed and I would much rather spend my money in other places any day of the week. Don't bother with this place!

Date of stay: December 2016