“Don't go there”

Ranked #129 of 395 Restaurants in Carlsbad
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Imagine a place with an innovative chef, a welcoming atmosphere and quality service. With this vision, Nozomi was born. Well known and loved by customers for unique flavors and creative dishes, Nozomi strives to continually provide great tasting food that is healthy for the body and soul. It is our hope that upon every visit, you will witness the love and pride that we carry here at Nozomi.
Reviewed 16 December 2016 via mobile

What a horrible experience. The door was propped open in the men's room to let light in as the lights were out as the whole place was dark. No privacy. I used the last two paper towels to wipe my hands. It was a great place to watch TV. They had competitive surfing on one wall, ESPN on the other wall, and loud rock music overplaying the voices on the TV. I think it was set up for the benefit of the employees and certainly not the patrons. It was a cold and rainy day outside and they had the door propped open. I had to ask for the door to be closed to keep from freezing. The food was average. Nothing to write home about. My wife had sirloin pho and I had brisket pho . The sirloin was certainly more tender. Average, average, average!

Date of visit: December 2016

Reviewed 20 October 2016

We dropped in on a Wednesday evening around 7:30 to find the place empty and sat at the sushi bar.

No pictures or chalk-board specials. The menu lists the offerings which include rolls, Nigiri and Sashimi and some hot dishes.

We started off with Edemame and some Miso soup with clams. We hadn't seen Miso with clams on offer except in Japan so this was an encouraging start.

They don't offer Kirin beer but do have Sculpin IPA so we had that since it's a favorite of ours.

We decided to do mostly Nigiri and the sushi chef helped us choose and was very friendly. We had five Nigiri. The Engawa, halibut fin, was a new choice for us and was very delicious. The Nigiris average around $8 for two pieces which is a bit high. That said the quality is very good. The chef does add Wasabi to the Nigiri and suggests not adding further seasoning - don't dip in soy/wasabi mixture.

We wrapped things up with a Rainbow roll which was kinda average so we were glad we'd focused on Nigiri.

At almost $100 for two this was not a cheap weeknight meal. Nonetheless we'll go again I expect. We enjoyed our evening.

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed 15 September 2016

This place has amazing food and the drink selection is quite interesting starting with the some very special versions of Sake one that is extremely refine and the other that is allowed to be cloudy on purpose, ask you waiter they can help you with this. The Suhi is amazing and to top it all off they have an awesome noodle bar.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed 10 September 2016 via mobile

Yummy sushi, great service. I really like how accessible the location is. Food was presented in a really nice way.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed 29 August 2016

Delicious sushi, my favorite in Carlsbad! I love specialty rolls and the Hula Roll is perfection! The Mango roll is very good too. The tempura is crisped a beautiful golden brown and not greasy. Downstairs there is a ramen house with a pond for turtles to check out too.

Date of visit: August 2016

Been to Nozomi? Share your experiences!