Lowest prices for your stay
US$499
Priceline
US$499
Etrip
US$457
Hotels.comUS$474
Expedia.comUS$474
Trip.comUS$501
All reviews relais chateaux michelin star restaurant courtyard view european style heated floors european feel turn down service lovely courtyard cookies charming hotel little touches included breakfast carmel by the sea fresh fruit rooms are small few blocks each morning
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 September 2022

THe postive: Staff was friendly (although inexperienced) and bedding was nice. THe property has some european charm with it’s courtyard. Everything else: My ocean view room, which came to over 900 bucks was stuffy, musty and totally outdated. Their “period antiques” are more flea market than fabulous. There is nothing about this room that makes it worth the amount of money it costs. I have stayed at many higher end properties and comparitively the value is just not here. I booked a room online and when i arrived with my dog was told the room that i booked was not a pet friendly room so the pet fee would be doubled. There is no way i could have know this. Also PET FEE IS $250!! (So, 500 doubled) I would have left then and there but my reservation was not refundable. I have never stayed anywhere that the pet fee was more than $100. Ritz, Four Seasons, Small boutique hotels…$100 max. THe cypress Inn, a comparable property around the corner from L’auberge charges $30. And they are shifty about the pet fee. They don’t actually say the price and hand you the form to sign. If you don’t read the whole thing you would never know. You know what else you would never know?? That my dog was ever in the room. $500 smackers for her to sleep on the floor. WTF???? So here i am in dingy, noisy (lots of weird knocking sounds coming from walls and floor). I ordered room service (no prices given) and was charge $80 for a steak and french fries. The steak was nothing special whatsoever—I could not tell what cut it was maybe sirloin, but it was overly lean and the portion was on the small side (it was served sliced which make it look like more than it is. the fries were definitely the frozen type. Sure, you expect to pay more for room service, but again, the value for the price is waaaaaay off. Lesson learned. An expensive one. THere is some charm to the property but it is dingy and tired and feels like it should cost about a quarter of what it does. Belch.

Date of stay: September 2022
Reviewed 26 August 2022

My family and I spent a long weekend at L'Auberge in early August of 2022. The staff and faculty couldn't have been more kind and accommodating. They heavily stressed the fact that we were on vacation and should not do any work while visiting. We enjoyed how intimate the hotel was and loved the fact that we each had our own little apartment for the weekend. We did not know that this hotel did not have A/C but then learned that no building in Carmel has A/C. Luckily the weather was cooler so it all worked out. The Michelin star restaurant on site looked great, but due to availability and space, we were not able to try this time around. Also there was a stipulation that because my family had 5 people, they were not able to accommodate. I guess 4 people is their limit per party. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone who visits Carmel. It is very expensive so some might not consider it worth it, but once you explore the town and all the great restaurants and shops, it makes it all worth it.

Room tip: rooms facing the courtyard can experience noise up to 11-12pm and are in plain site to people
Reviewed 22 August 2022 via mobile

I loved the aesthetic and boutique feel to the hotel. The staff was extremely accommodating and attentive. They even made me special gluten free cookies for turn down service! The location of the hotel in reference to great restaurants in Carmel was nice. I do agree with the others that decor and some rooms can be updated. I didn't feel like it nailed the Relais Chateau feel as I've been to others and have been completely wow'd. There was no A/C which I understand is a norm in CA and Carmel; however, wasn't totally comfortable for August. Keeping windows open at night was fine for sleep. It took some getting used to to have guests eating right outside your window. I didn't mind it and liked the European feel, but my other family members wanted more privacy. Breakfast had the basics, but having a Michelin star restaurant for dinner, I think there is an opportunity for growth.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2022

Carmel is a beautiful little town. We loved exploring the town and the surrounding area. If you are accustomed to Relais Chateau quality - this does not compare. The staff were great and the room was fine but the whole property itself is in need of better upkeep. Water the plants (and dead head them!), spruce up the place, offer a better breakfast. It was also VERY noisy. You can hear the neighbours and the noise from the street. The Michelin star restaurant was good but not great. They tried really hard but missed the mark. During our trip, we ate at some beautiful Michelin Star restaurants in Napa Valley and Aubergine in Carmel was by far the most expensive and the food did not compare. We did appreciate that the chef came out personally to serve 2 of the dishes - a very nice touch. I had read some very negative reviews and some positive reviews before booking so I took the chance - wish I hadn't.

Reviewed 8 August 2022

We loved Carmel-by-the-Sea! What a charming and quaint seaside town. We loved l’Auberge and how well maintained it was considering it was built in 1929! They have kept up the heritage beauty of the hotel and matched the decor accordingly. The staff were wonderful and accommodating. We were immediately upgraded and our room was quite large as well as a very large bathroom. The bed was in excellent condition and very comfortable. Location is perfect and we loved the fresh plums in the room and turn down service delicious cookies. We wouldn’t hesitate to stay again or highly recommend this property.
Thanks again,
Jessica and Aubey

Date of stay: August 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple