3 people are viewing this hotel
Hotels.comUS$399
Expedia.comUS$399
AlgotelsUS$777
1,769 results
All reviews champagne breakfast free shuttle shuttle service beautiful hotel garden room ocean view wine tasting no elevator two blocks beautiful grounds cookies luxury hotel rooms are small street parking pebble beach carmel by the sea short walk to the beach
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 September 2022 via mobile

What a charming hotel. The staff were friendly and professional, the grounds and pool were immaculate. Our room was nice and included complimentary breakfast and free parking which was a real bonus. Not having air conditioning or lifts was really not a problem. La Playa was in an excellent position, within walking distance of the town and the beautiful beach. I would highly recommend this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

Date of stay: September 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2022

What a fantastic place to stay on any visit to Carmel and the surrounding areas. Great service by friendly and knowledgeable staff.La Playa is a gem of a place with great ambience and wonderful small surprises like wine tasting, warm cookies and a bargain of a breakfast....will go again soon !!

Reviewed 23 September 2022

We had an amazing time at La Playa for our son's wedding. Staff was so helpful and accommodating.
We enjoyed our 4 night stay. The champagne breakfast was wonderful. We especially loved the salsa over our Omelette and the Belgium waffles.

Reviewed 22 September 2022

This hotel was not our style and we will not be back. When we pulled up the bellman grabbed our bags and told us we could park anywhere - I am sorry what? No valet? Well that was a surprise! Then onto the check-in. We were traveling with another couple for my husbands birthday. The hotel upgraded our friends room because they thought he was one of the staffs former principal based on his name and our hometown location. They should have upgraded us because it was my husbands birthday. Then we get to our extremely small, extremely dated hotel room and realize - there is no a/c. I'll take the blame for that for not double checking but living in Texas I would have never even thought to question the ac situation when you are spending $1,100/night + taxes for a hotel room. Then there was a wedding going on for 2 of our nights so we got to listen to that all night since sleeping with all the windows open was a must! I saw someone mention in a review below "turn of the century amenities or lack there of" and that hit the nail on the head regarding our room. I could not believe the size of the bathroom! Breakfast every morning was great - but should have started earlier than 7:30. I do want to mention that every member of the staff was extremely nice and welcoming - especially Michael - the bellman/driver. The common grounds were also well maintained and clean. In the end, we were disappointed overall and will not be back.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
bbird bbird, General Manager at La Playa Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2022

Dear MaryEllen K,

Thank you for your review. Your feedback provides information important to our ongoing improvement efforts. We endeavor to provide all of our guests with an exceptional experience, and we clearly failed to do so during your recent stay with us.

I apologize for your disappointment with your room assignment and I regret any inconvenience this caused. We do have many different room types and sizes.

It is true that La Playa does not have air conditioning in the rooms. While we are accustomed to cooler temperatures year-round we do receive the occasional heat wave. I am sorry that your visit coincided with that time of year.

Given another opportunity, I am confident that we can provide the memorable experience that you should expect at La Playa. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should your future plans include a visit to Carmel. I would be most happy to personally arrange your reservation. I hope that we have an opportunity to welcome you back.

Regards,
Brett B.

Reviewed 22 September 2022

Lovely hotel with very professional and friendly staff. Fantastic breakfast each morning. Fab location - easy walk to Carmel centre. Very well maintained common areas of hotel - nice quiet pool - no reserving of loungers etc