“Our Soup Spot”

Los Molcajetes Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 99 Restaurants in Castro Valley
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 4 June 2015

This is where we go when we want chicken soup and we're too tired, or sick. to make it. My wife gets the Chicken Tortilla and I get the Chicken Vegetable.

The Seafood Molcajetes look really good to, but I've never tried them.

Reviewed 4 November 2014

This is a decent Mexican restaurant and they are relentless on the complementary tortilla chips. I especially like their Chicken Soup, a brothy but loaded soup that is great for one of those cold Bay Area days.

Reviewed 1 October 2014

Los Molcajetes is one of my local favorites for Mexican food. The chips and salsa are fresh as are the ingredients in their food. This is not your upscale restaurant but more of the "Mom and Pop" Mexican restaurants which is why I like it so much. The service is consistently good and the kitchen is well run. The guacamole is fresh, and not soupy like some places who try and add too much to it to stretch it out. If you don't care for a particular sauce on the menu they will change it for you no questions asked. I've not had a bad experience here yet!

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We like the food and how it is presented. The service is always attentive and the atmosphere is good.

Reviewed 13 January 2013

Returned recently --to mostly good meal, well-made. Was told that the "caldos" (soups) were especially good on this cold January evening, I went for the caldo de pollo (chicken soup). Ordered a small for $6.25, served with rice, condiments (serrano peppers, lime slices, onions). Was pretty good, though it needed more cilantro and well, rich chicken flavor that La Pinata/La Penca Azul, especially in Alameda, has mastered so well for years.

But the real star of the show was the a la carta order of the enchilada poblana, filled with moist chicken. The mole here is very good, with just the right richness and spiciness I grew up with. I've had the chicken mole poblano as well. and it's a great dish here with the sliced up chicken, but this single enchilada, served covered in dark mole and with a sprinkle of melted cheese, really made the meal.

Bonus for the Jarritos soft drinks from Mexico, by the way and the killer fresh salsa. Oh and the delicious, thick and chewy corn tortillas.

Also, huge bonus for the fact that the waitress who's been here for many years is also the same one who served us pancakes that very morning across town --well, in Hayward-- at the underrated Anna's Restaurant, a breakfast joint off Jackson St