“Great neighborhood Mexican place --- worth looking for”

Salsa Verde Mexican Cuisine
Ranked #40 of 322 Restaurants in Concord
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 17 September 2017

We've been going to Salsa Verde regularly --- maybe twice a month -- for over two years. It feels like home for us. Mostly our "breakfast home."

The owner (friendly and funny) is a huge SF Giants baseball fan and we would have never found Salsa Verde, except we were in the same elevator at a Giants game in 2015. Who knew that his nice little Mexican restaurant was so close to us?

The pictures above tell the story. The food is great. The atmosphere is welcoming. Humberto is so funny sometimes (you have to get to know him) that it makes our day.

Prices are extremely reasonable. Our favorites are the burritos (mostly for breakfast, but the big burritos are more than a full meal), sopas (chicken sopas are incredible --- one fills me up), the nachos, the enchiladas, the Mexican breakfasts (huevos rancheros are my favorite) and any full combination plate with rice and beans. I can't eat the whole thing.

Not too fond of the chilaquiles (I make them myself and go to Mexico often) but everything else makes up for it. We wouldn't keep coming back regularly if we didn't love virtually everything on the menu.

The place shows deep pride of ownership. Humberto is there every day. It's super clean and very well-decorated. Produce is fresh. Very friendly atmosphere, to the point that we often read the morning paper there, and check out all the travel books and magazines.

Salsa Verde attracts mostly a clientele in the business park surrounding the restaurant, when we've been there for breakfast and lunch. It's not fine dining ---- just excellent tasty and colorful Mexican food (better than we've had at several more expensive Mexican restaurants in the area).

The closest landmark -- to find it --- is Costco on the corner of Monument and Detroit. From Costco, turn right on Detroit (past PG&E) and go to the end, where Detroit turns. The restaurant is right there.

We've never eaten outside, but there is a nice patio out in front, with grass and several tables. Very different from the standard "business park restaurant."

Because it's a mom-and-pop eatery, they close at 7:30pm, but it's a great place for an early Mexican dinner. Crowded during prime eating times for the folks who work in the business park (lunch and after work). Giants games played, during opening hours.

It's our favorite Mexican restaurant, in an area with many.

Reviewed 22 May 2017 via mobile

My grandsons asked me to take them to this restaurant because they heard great reviews from friends. This is off the beaten path so I was extremely surprised to find this place clean, freshly appointed, and comfortable! The staff were very nice, food came very fast, and was amazingly delicious! I had shrimp tacos, oh YUM! My husband had a giant burrito that was not soggy, did not fall apart, and was uber yummy. We also had a huge platter of nachos, they tasted great. We really enjoyed this place and will definitely be back.

Reviewed 28 February 2017

Very good food, fast friendly service and reasonable prices. How can you go wrong? This place is fast becoming my goto place in this area.

Reviewed 27 October 2016 via mobile

We had a great lunch and loved the friending service, charming decor Authentic Mexican cooking and homemade tortillas the owner/chef Humberto even shared his ingredients in his signature sauce for the molcajete we highly recommend this little gem of a restaurant off the beaten path. We love supporting family owned businesses and want to say Thank you Humberto for stopping by total wine and more and picking up a bottle of our tequila a family recipe Señor Rio tequila

1  Thank Debbie M
Reviewed 28 October 2015

We found out about this place in 2014 and we come here atleast once a month, if not more. Their signature dish (for two) is the BEST and GREATEST. Its called "molcajete". It is served in a volcanic dish and has beef, chicken, onion, and cactus with the best sauce. Its not oily, greasy or anything. Its great. I even have had their burritos and its great.

1  Thank GZCS