“Terrific Mexican food with freshly made tortillas”

Tortilleria El Molino
Ranked #60 of 339 Restaurants in Concord
Reviewed 3 May 2015

Nestled in a small plaza in Concord is this great Mexican restaurant, juice bar and tortilleria so you can bring home extra freshly made tortillas after you enjoy their food. The menu is pretty standard but does include things that are not always on the menu of other Mexican restaurants in the area (e.g., chicharron, bionicos, pupusas, pork stomach, etc.). More importantly, the food is high quality and you get pretty large portion sizes at a decent price. The service is consistently friendly and despite the place hopping much of the time, they turn out the food pretty quickly. Our favorites so far include their street-style tacos (especially with chicharron), carnitas or carne asada burrito, tamales (comes in pork, chicken or chile cheese) and puffy taco salad. It has definitely become one of our go-to places!

1  Thank ray-may

Reviewed 4 March 2015

tried this little gem for the first time over the weekend and it was really good. Very inexpensive and tasty. I haven't eaten a lot of authentic Mexican food but the folks I was with said it is spot on. I would suggest not going at the very end of their day on Sunday as many of the items were sold out. It was crowded but we didn't wait long for our number to be called. Highlights - Verde Salsa, homemade tortillas and chips, Guacamole.

YUM!!!

1  Thank aliflo
Reviewed 9 October 2014

I go to Baja several times a year, and I'm always on the lookout for local restaurants that serve food that is prepared just like I have in Mexico. El Molino is one of those places. The menu is both basic and diverse. On the menu are the familiar fare of burritos, soft tacos, soles, quesadillas, nachos, and taco salad. What makes this restaurant a standout is the choice of meat. They offer carnitas, chicharron, carne asada, al pastor, pollo, cabeza, and buche. In addition, they make their own tortillas (flour or wheat) daily on the premises. Don't worry; as authentic as it is, they speak English.

1  Thank Dale W
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Don't be intimidated. Step right up and just order a burrito or some tacos and choose the meat that you want in it. If you're brave, you can try to pick something else off the menu.

I noticed some comments about the price, but one burrito is probably enough for two people. You probably need to order 2 (or 3) tacos for one person. I wasn't particularly impressed with the rice, but the entrees is what commands my rating.

I agree that the atmosphere is "untidy and loud" but it's the food that counts.

1  Thank Irvine_TSH
Reviewed 28 February 2014

loved TEM, had read a review in the local paper and had to try it. it is tucked into a strip mall at one end where there are other eateries and a supermarket that caters to Hispanics. we went at 3pm on a Saturday and there was a line. many take out but there is some seating inside and plenty of tables outside. they don't have hard shell tacos but they will take the Tacos Dorados (already with ground beef and potatoes) and put in whatever protein on their menu you choose for only $1 more. my wife likes the harder shell variety and all of this was very filling with the three she ordered with carne asada and carnitas. I had their tacos, the expected doubled corn tortilla, with cabeza, carne asada and buche (pork stomach). I forgot to ask them as the menu board puts cabeza/lengua together if I could just have lengua. all of the choices were excellent but the buche was outstanding and is definitely worth returning for. as is the problem with corn tortillas the juice of the ingredients will gradually break down the tortilla. the cost of the soft tacos has recently increased but still is so reasonable you can try multiple protein sources as I did. burritos are more expensive but the thought if one filled with buche is making me hungry right now. this place is a working tortilla factory but I didn't see where one can purchase them directly from them. I will be back!

1  Thank flashncrash