“Outstanding classical Japanese sushi restaurant”
Review of Sushi Shunka

Sushi Shunka
Ranked #59 of 535 Restaurants in Costa Mesa
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 28 June 2016

Sushi Shunka is an outstanding sushi restaurant, if what you're looking for is classic sushi (not a bunch of California rolls). They even fly fresh fish in from Japan! The fish is EXTREMELY fresh and tasty. The sushi chefs are skilled and knowledgeable. There are a few booths and tables (maybe 8?), but the best seat is at the sushi bar The only downside is that the restaurant is pricey. But you will enjoy it

Reviewed 6 May 2016

I went to the restaurant solo for a Saturday lunch. I ordered a premium omakase, an uni sashimi and a miso soup. It was quiet in the restaurant, just myself and two other tables.

The omakase ($45) includes about 8 sushi and 1 crab roll. All are delicious and fresh. I have to special mention the tuna (maybe toro) sushi and the roll. The tuna just melt in my month and the roll was filled with a lot of crab meat. The uni sashimi ($22) was fresh and sweet. The chef was generous giving me a good portion of the uni. Will go again.

Reviewed 26 April 2016

This place has many kinds of fish from Japan. Very fresh. Can ask for freshly grated wasabi. We tried the premium omakase which came with 9 pieces of nigiri with fish from japan and a tasty blue crab handroll (the best that I've had) then we ordered 2 extra nigiris. The price came out to be $80 per person including drink (shared beer).

Reviewed 21 April 2016

While in Irvine for business decided to visit Sushi Shunka after reading about it in TripAdvisor. The assortment of fish, imported from Japan and domestic, was unbelievable. I had never experienced such a broad selection of fish and the quality and taste was unbelievable. Sat at the Sushi bar to see all the action and the chefs' attention and recomendatorios were all excellent. This has been without a doubt the best sushi bar experience I have had. I was so impressed by Sushi Shunka that i returned two days later before going back home. Whenever I return near Costa Mesa I will definitely visit Sushi Shunka again.

Reviewed 18 March 2016

Teenage grandkids took us to their favorite restaurant. Great choice. The food was fresh, delicious, and nicely presented, Service attentive and watching the crew make the various roles was great theater. Staff friendly and engaged. Strong recommendation