“Mmm, mmm, good :-)”

Tabu Shabu Restaurant
Ranked #128 of 541 Restaurants in Costa Mesa
Reviewed 1 March 2017

We've done this style before at Fountain Valley's California Shabu Shabu (also highly recommended). So Tabu Shabu had a lot to live up to -- and they delivered. With hubby now properly diagnosed as soy allergic instead of gluten sensitive, Asian cuisine is difficult, so he called ahead. Our server, Kevin, was semi-aware of the soy involved in the dipping sauces, but luckily the owner was there to give definitive answers. Basically all of the sauces were off-limits for hubby except for one.

Hubby went with the Regular size Chicken ($18). He substituted more veggies for the tofu that comes part of the standard veggie platter, and he also got the zero carb shirataki noodles in lieu of the regular udon for a change of pace. He was very happy with both changes. I got the Regular size angus ribeye ($18). We agreed that the bok choy was the best bok choy we've ever had while dining shabu style! My angus beef was average, so on that point I think FV is better for basic beef.

Hubby wanted to try a mochi dessert ($2). The owner verified that one flavor was soy free (I think it was green tea), so we shared it. The owner comp'd us the dessert.

Reviewed 12 October 2016

Yes, you have to cook your own food, but you control the pace! All the items you select are fresh, and ultimately satisfying. Its a small place, with lots of cooking going on, so it can get warm. Service is good but sometimes the wait can get lengthy, so be prepared to order a drink or beer while you wait. it's best to go as a couple or small party, and to share different entrees.

Reviewed 29 June 2016

Very unique dining experience. You choose beef, chicken, pork or vegetarian and cook your own dinner right in front of yourself. They provide you with a large plate of vegetables and sauces. I went with the beef and was very pleased.

Reviewed 27 February 2016

Unless you eat out to cook your own food and spend a S#!T load of money for a half ounce o protein. This place is loud and exhausting. PT Barnum was right!

Reviewed 18 January 2016 via mobile

Just an awesome place to go with a small and I mean small group of friends and family. Love the place and I eat there about once a week but it's so busy they you wait about 20 to 25 mins. It is worth the wait though. Sometimes we get lucky and there is not really a wait at all. I highly recommend it.