“Modern Boutique Hotel”

Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 January 2018

We have stayed here twice. It is located in the heart of Costa Mesa, close to many eateries and coffee shops (within driving distance). It's also not too far from Disneyland. My favorite part of the hotel is the lobby which I find tasteful and artsy. Hotel facilities include a small, basic pool and a Jacuzzi. There's a bar/club right by the hotel but we never had a chance to visit.

Room is true to picture, very modern and clean with lots of natural light. Bathroom is a bit on the small side but it doesn't concern us. Bed is soft and comfortable. The only complaint I have is the AC/heater which can get noisy at night.

Overall, it's decent stay for the price that we paid. The hotel appears to be family friendly.

Room Tip: handicap shower upon request
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Tyler B, Guest Relations Manager at Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

Dear Genesis C,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and your recent stay. I'm glad you enjoyed our recently renovated lobby and the hotel's amenities. We hope you come and stay with us again soon. Please let us know if you need anything at all.

Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,608)

Reviewed 29 December 2017

The Avenue of the Arts hotel in Costa Mesa/Irvine is a nice hotel with a very uneven service level. I was there over the holiday so they may have had their “B” team running the show. I had booked several rooms and for most of them there was a quick, friendly check-in accommodating the room-type I requested. For one check-in however, they claimed there was a “problem” with the confirmation; first I had to retrieve the reservation number….which was not good enough…so I had to bring my laptop down and show them the actual screen....which was still not good enough. Given the hassle, and though I never complained, was still made to feel like this was my fault (later I found out they had the reservation but just not confirmation that the OTA had paid them).

The lobby is a nice airy style. Rarely seen in hotels anymore, there were doormen who seemed to be present at all hours and were quick to offer arriving cars luggage assistance. There was complimentary ice-cubed-lemon-infused water but morning coffee is $3.50 for a small cup.

The room was appropriately sized for a 4 star hotel with nice appointments, comfortable beds, a sitting area, smallish work area, and a very large flat screen TV with most of the cable channels you would expect. My room overlooked the parking garage and next to the HVAC plant which gave the room a “white noise” feature. There was a capsule coffee machine and sometimes replenished two bottles of complimentary water. The free internet was fast during my stay. There was a smallish outdoor pool with a hot-tub that seemed to get regular use.

The bathrooms were very nice, if small, with elegant tile/marble/granite surfaces. One of the rooms had a bathtub/shower accommodations (which had to be repaired because the shower did not work) and the other rooms had a large shower in that space. There were high quality bottled amenities (not replaced when used), enough plush towels, and actual hot water (so many other hotel-chains have reduced the temperature).

The housekeeping was not up to the standards needed for this class hotel. Even with a regular room pillow tip, there were small pieces of paper that were never vacuumed (we eventually cleaned the floors ourselves), the few things that were out of place were not put back were they should be, mostly empty glasses were not always taken and replaced, and, on one occasion, one of the used/wet washcloths was not removed from the bathroom. Nothing terrible, just not up to snuff.

The parking facility is $25 for overnight, though for the several nights we were there we were offered half price, which was nice. This garage is apparently a revenue generator because when we returned on two nights there were no available spaces for my full size car (we made our own on the end-cap).

The hotel is the closest one to the fine arts center, and is a 10 minute walk to South Coast Plaza, the big up-scale shopping center. It is central to most of Orange County’s attractions with two major freeways next to it.

This is a nice hotel and I can recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Tyler B, Guest Relations Manager at Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2017

Dear FlyguyAustin,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our property. I am pleased to hear we were able to discount your parking for you as a gesture but its disappointing to hear your stay wasn't exceptional. That is definitely something we strive for. We will use this feedback to improve our operation. Please let us know if you need anything at all.

Reviewed 20 December 2017

I was extremely happy with my stay at Avenue of the Arts. The staff was very welcoming and there to open the door for me at all hours. My room was spacious and very comfortable with a nice view to the pond out back. There was construction going on at the building across the pond and I didn't hear a single sound out of it, so the rooms were very quiet. It's also only a 5-10 minute walk to a great mall and shopping center.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Tyler B, Guest Relations Manager at Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2017

Dear David S,

Thank you so much for such a great review and for your recent stay at our property. I am so glad to hear you found the room to be spacious and it had everything you needed. We hope to have the chance to welcome you again soon. Please let us know if you need anything at all.

Reviewed 16 December 2017 via mobile

This hotel has been the preferred choice for many years. However, customer service and cleanliness of the rooms have declined rapidly. From checkin to checkout I️ have not a single positive thing to say. This SPG property has lost my confidence and business. Very very disappointed.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank k12tu
Tyler B, Guest Relations Manager at Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2017

Dear k12tu,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay. I am extremely disappointed you had such a poor experience with us and I sincerely apologize for that. I have reached out to you in a private message to further discuss this matter. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 16 December 2017

Booked into this property as it was central to Newport/Anaheim areas & adjacent to a major shopping mall.
Great staff, courteous & always helpful. Great location; room was well appointed, quiet & provided great value for money. On-site restaurant & bar offer good meals bar food & cocktails.
Definitely will visit again.

Stayed: January 2017
Tyler B, Guest Relations Manager at Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2018

Dear Hopi10,

Thank you so much for your recent stay and for such a great review! I am extremely pleased to hear the staff was so friendly and you enjoyed the decor and layout. We hope to get the chance to welcome you again soon. Please let me know if you need anything at all.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Costa Mesa
3.1 km away
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
#11 of 18 in Newport Beach

Been to Avenue of the Arts Costa Mesa, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel? Share your experiences!