“Best BBQ west of the Rockies!!”

JR's Genuine Barbeque
Ranked #59 of 339 Restaurants in Culver City
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Reviewed 10 November 2017

A friend at 94.7 the Wave suggested we try Jrs. BBQ when attending a jazz concert at the SoCal Honda Soundstage last night. So glad we did!! The owners, Robert & Jeannie Jackson were very gracious, and the food was D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!! We ordered the Pulled Pork Sandwich & The Brisket Sandwich with medium spicy sauce. Both were piled high with succulent BBQ and served on a soft brioche bun along with coleslaw (other sides were available - but we both opted for the slaw). We arrived early, about 4:00 PM so no crowds, but the phone kept ringing and customers continued to drop into pick-up to go orders. Very affordable, very casual - and the Jackson's make you feel like a "regular" on your first visit. Can't wait to go back to try the baby back ribs and pecan pie!! If your in the culver City, West LA area, make sure to put Jrs. BBQ on your "must do" list!!

Reviewed 14 February 2017

We had the pork ribs and it was pretty good. I wasn't sure about the sauce so the waitress asked if I wanted to taste the spicy sauce. I did and then made my decision as to which sauce I wanted; however, to my surprise, when I received my bill there was a charge for the "taste" of sauce. I could not believe that. After complaining that I was not told there would be a charge, it was taken off my bill. That left a sour taste so I haven't been back since. Actually, Phillip's on Adams and Crenshaw is way better so that's where I spend my money now.

Reviewed 22 October 2016 via mobile

What you get from JR's is simply good BBQ--- tender and tasty with selectable spice levels from mild (perfect, with a slightly sweet bite) to spicy (pretty blazing hot but addictive). Nothing fancy here--- an L-shaped counter and small set of tables--- but a bunch of slightly worn head shots of "celebrities" line the walls, giving it an old time feel.

Service is friendly but brusque. This is not a place for special orders or a lot of questions. Look at the menu and just pick something. Even then, you might get a no. Arnold Palmer? Sorry, the machine is out. 7-up cake? Sorry we're out. Okay fine. Ribs and pulled pork were so good it didn't really matter that the portions were on the small side. Just order more food next time.

Reviewed 28 June 2016

Called two days ahead for a mid-afternoon pickup of two slabs of baby back ribs. Arrived at the time specified. Waited 10 minutes to move to the head of a 3 person line. After some initial confusion about the order, waited another 15 minutes for the food. Granted, it was Father's Day, but they were understaffed and disorganized.
The ribs were just OK. Some were meaty and tender some were scrawny and overcooked.
Disappointed.

Reviewed 15 February 2016 via mobile

Well we were driving down the street to go to The Getty And we smelled the food and had to turn around and stop! It was truly amazing! We had the best pulled pork and the most amazing brisket. Leave room for desert (chocolate cake and Seven Up Cake) are to die for!!! Met the women who is the owner and she couldn't be nicer!!!