“Great dinner”

JR's Genuine Barbeque
Ranked #64 of 329 Restaurants in Culver City
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

Great place for dinner with friends. Meat is juicy, flavorful and tender, and the bbq sauce you can’t beat! Medium was perfectly spicy for me, but if you like it hot, the hot sauce option will make you feel it for real, right up to sweat, running nose and happy face :) One more thing about the hot bbq sauce - the flavor. It’s not just hot, but you can taste the rich pepper, bbq sweetness and smoke scent. I am definitely recommend this place and giving special kudos to the man who was serving us - friendly, kind, good.

Reviewed 11 November 2017

I don't know what you've heard or read, but this is NO real barbeque place. To start, the service was sweet, but slow. We thought we waited a long time for 2 glasses of water, but the poor guy to our left at the bar waited ALL THROUGH our lunch before he was noticed. Waaaat? Here's the food rundown. Meat: ALL meats had no rub, no flavor whatsoever. They had never been in a smoker as far as we could tell. They were not seasoned. Brisket, are you kidding? Not properly sliced against the grain; it looked like it had been murdered. No crust, overcooked, no flavor. Ribs, meaty for sure. But who cares when there's no flavor and it's overcooked? Pulled pork, no crust, no flavor. Links, come on, what's hard about a link? As for the sides, they shouldn't be just giveaways; there should be pride. The slaw, potato salad and baked beans were all sweet. And the collards were an embarrassment. They were poorly chopped and put in boiling water with no seasoning whatsoever. Not a pinch of salt, a dash of vinegar, a piece of bacon, nada. Do not waste your time or wallet; our lunch was $50. Forgot to mention that we have been barbeque judges and have taken a 2-day barbeque class with Myron Mixon. We're not just spouting off; we know a bit about barbeque.

Reviewed 10 November 2017

A friend at 94.7 the Wave suggested we try Jrs. BBQ when attending a jazz concert at the SoCal Honda Soundstage last night. So glad we did!! The owners, Robert & Jeannie Jackson were very gracious, and the food was D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!! We ordered the Pulled Pork Sandwich & The Brisket Sandwich with medium spicy sauce. Both were piled high with succulent BBQ and served on a soft brioche bun along with coleslaw (other sides were available - but we both opted for the slaw). We arrived early, about 4:00 PM so no crowds, but the phone kept ringing and customers continued to drop into pick-up to go orders. Very affordable, very casual - and the Jackson's make you feel like a "regular" on your first visit. Can't wait to go back to try the baby back ribs and pecan pie!! If your in the culver City, West LA area, make sure to put Jrs. BBQ on your "must do" list!!

Reviewed 14 February 2017

We had the pork ribs and it was pretty good. I wasn't sure about the sauce so the waitress asked if I wanted to taste the spicy sauce. I did and then made my decision as to which sauce I wanted; however, to my surprise, when I received my bill there was a charge for the "taste" of sauce. I could not believe that. After complaining that I was not told there would be a charge, it was taken off my bill. That left a sour taste so I haven't been back since. Actually, Phillip's on Adams and Crenshaw is way better so that's where I spend my money now.

Reviewed 22 October 2016 via mobile

What you get from JR's is simply good BBQ--- tender and tasty with selectable spice levels from mild (perfect, with a slightly sweet bite) to spicy (pretty blazing hot but addictive). Nothing fancy here--- an L-shaped counter and small set of tables--- but a bunch of slightly worn head shots of "celebrities" line the walls, giving it an old time feel.

Service is friendly but brusque. This is not a place for special orders or a lot of questions. Look at the menu and just pick something. Even then, you might get a no. Arnold Palmer? Sorry, the machine is out. 7-up cake? Sorry we're out. Okay fine. Ribs and pulled pork were so good it didn't really matter that the portions were on the small side. Just order more food next time.