“Hotel refused to check my family in”
Review of Cupertino Inn

Cupertino Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Cupertino
Reviewed 7 August 2017

Hotel refused to check my family in, claiming water damages at the property. Parking lot was full of guests' vehicles and more guests were being checked in as I was standing there frustrated. Why were they turning my family around and letting other people check in? I was told that out of 120+ rooms, 30% were affected and that "my room" was damaged. Hard to believe they had preassigned a room for my months old reservation. Harder to believe their story since, as of 10pm, it was plain to see most of rooms were brightly lit. Rejecting guests who made reservations early at lower rates and accepting guests who were paying higher rate? That's my guess. Front desk manager Patrick and Gil were non-apologetic and apathetic for our having to find another room at 10pm. Never, ever making a reservation at this property again.

Room Tip: Next to interstate freeway, Old building with water damages, Rude front CS
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Joon C
CBono1, General Manager at Cupertino Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2017

Thank you for your review. We truly apologize for any inconvenience caused.
At The Grand Hotel, we strive to provide the best customer service. Please note that NO hotels in the world including The Grand is not "choosing" guests based on rates. Rooms lit does not indicate any specific if they are occupied or not.

I invite you to contact me directly at cbono@cghotelgroup.com.

Reviewed 5 August 2017

cons: We chose to stay at Cupertino Inn as part of our 40th wedding anniversary celebration trip. We were excited to stay in our old neighborhood before moving to San Diego. We know the area and specifically asked for a quiet room away from the freeway.

We understand there are no guarantees, but we were disappointed to be placed in a room right over the freeway on-ramp, room 334, with continuous traffic noise. We at least looked forward to enjoying our room but the fireplace had no logs, gas or otherwise, even though when we asked we were assured that they would be brought up. Our lovely jacuzzi tub did not work and we were told this would me remedied; it wasn't. Although the room was basically clean, we found a used coffee filter sitting in the coffee machine and we were shorted towels on two of the three days. Our hair dryer did not work. The room was poorly lit and there were very few outlets for charging our devices.
We tried to contact the manager while at the hotel and were told that the manager would call us. We left a message at the front desk and sent an email, and have not received the courtesy of a reply.

pros: The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The breakfast was excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the side away from the freeway (our request was not honored).
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. I am truly sorry to hear of the challenges. Please note that I was not aware of the situation as we do have multiple "managers" in house such as "front office manager", "Manager on Duty" etc...

Please accept our sincere apologies. I invite you to contact me directly at cbono@cghotelgroup.com

Reviewed 3 August 2017

Summary:
This hotel pretended that my mom had cancelled her reservation and wouldn't give her a room. The next day they tried to do the same to my in-laws, who had already pre-paid. While my in-laws were checking in, the staff told five other people in line, "You canceled your reservation." Some of them had pre-paid.

If your system was indicating that guests had cancelled their rooms, and day after day, guest after guest was saying that they didn't cancel, wouldn't you think maybe something was wrong with the reservation system? Would you keep being surprised every time?

Details:
I live nearby and my mom and my in-laws had reservations for this hotel. On July 12 I took my mom to check in and they told her the computer showed that she had cancelled her reservation. My mom said she had not. They asked if she used booking.com and she said no, she booked directly with the hotel (because my in-laws had already decided on the hotel). They wouldn't give her a room and said they had a room for her at The Domain Hotel in Sunnyvale. Since she didn't have a car, that wasn't going to work. They were very passive and just played dumb until we gave up and left.

Before we left I asked them to check to see if my in-laws' room was cancelled. They looked it up and said it was fine. I texted my husband to tell them to call to make sure and they did. Everything was fine. We didn't know why there was a room for my in-laws and not for my mom, but figured it was because they had pre-paid and my mom hadn't.

The next day when my in-laws checked in (my mom went with them) they tried to play the same game and looked at the computer and said, "You cancelled your reservation." They then asked if they used expedia.com. No. My in-laws were prepared for this and demanded a room and got one. Then they watched the staff tell several other people in line that they (the guests) had cancelled their reservations!

It was unbelievable. Of course there was no manager there.

My mom called the Chamber of Commerce and she got a call from hotel manager the next day. The manager listened to what my mom said but didn't offer any excuses or reasons. (We are still wondering.) She offered her a free night stay the next time she comes. No thanks.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank JME0000

Thank you for your review. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. Per your review, we noted that we provided you with some resolutions that were rejected. We truly understand and we hope we will have an opportunity to make it up to you, one day.

Management

Reviewed 2 August 2017

We love this Hotel. My son-in-law recommended it several year ago based on business Apple employees he's talked to. The rooms are always clean and not more than you need if you are visiting friends or family in the area. The breakfast is more than you would expect for the price, as well as the Happy Hour. My granddaughter and her friend were able to use the pool in the afternoon as most guests were working on their tans. We will certainly stay here every time we visit Cupertino from San Diego.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
CBono1, General Manager at Cupertino Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2017

Thank you for your kind review! We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope to see you soon on another trip to Silicon Valley!

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

Depending on the purpose of your visit to the area, this hotel is great.

My family live in the area so wanted somewhere close and comfortable and the Cupertino Inn did just that.

Location was excellent for us with some shops just next door.

Breakfast was delicious with so much to choose from and all dietary requirements accommodated.

Staff friendly, rooms spacious and beds comfortable!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate the time to provide your feedback.
We hope you will return soon to The Cupertino Hotel.

Claudio Bono

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cupertino
1.6 km away
2.5 km away
Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
1.6 km away
Courtyard San Jose Cupertino

Been to Cupertino Inn? Share your experiences!