“Asian vibe”
Review of Cupertino Inn

Cupertino Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Cupertino
Reviewed 13 August 2017

This. Place recently changed its name to Cupertino Hotel. It is in an Asian neighborhood and definitely has an Asian vibe. Orientation/modern decor with lots of orchids. Room was adequate but the bathroom needs a bit of an update....tub looked old and the porcelain sink was all scuffed up.the breakfast in the courtyard was fabulous, omelette bar, fresh fruit. Seating needs to be expanded.

Room Tip: I got a good deal for three nights.....check around
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
CBono1, General Manager at Cupertino Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2017

Thank you for your kind review! We hope to see you soon.

Claudio Bono

Write a ReviewReviews (1,030)

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

Ok hotel rooms need a bit of attention, carpet was stained and few other marks on walls etc. Got stuck in the lift for about 10/15 minutes tried to use the call button and tried to call the hotels phone it was extremely hot in the lift as it has a glass front and our young child was with us,no one answered luckily we attracted someone's attention from the front window of the lift and we got moving again!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Rest assure, the elevator was double checked through Schindler and all is performing well.

Reviewed 11 August 2017

I arrived at the property after spending nine hours in the car, and found people milling about, double parked in the driveway, etc. When I walked in the door, I saw dozens of angry people surrounding the reception desk. I decided to be objective and patiently waited my turn in line, about half an hour.

As I waited to reach the front, I saw that one of the front desk staff was treating the group of guests around the desk very rudely. He was condescendingly telling them that their bookings had all been cancelled because they had used "wholesale hotel travel agents" like Expedia, and that they had been notified by phone or email already, but probably hadn't bothered to check and see.

Worried, because I had booked using Hotels.com, I checked my email and voice mail. There was no notification that my room had been cancelled, and a couple of groups ahead of me in line checked in without incident, so when my time came, I walked up and asked if I would be able to check in. The young woman who helped me seemed very scared, so I smiled encouragingly at her and told her that I was sorry she had to go through all this.

She barely spoke above a whisper, she was so nervous and embarrassed at how her coworker was acting, so it was difficult to hear her over him and the yelling of the crowd around the desk. She told me that my reservation had been cancelled, and that I had been told via email and phone call early that day. I told her I had just checked and I had received no notice, and that no one around me seemed to have gotten any either. She didn't give a reason why my room was unavailable, and was unable to say why some people were still able to check in while so many other people couldn't. "I don't imagine you assigned my exact room months in advance," I said. "I'll take any available room."

The rude man next to her said to us all that the hotel was overbooked and those who used "wholesalers" were being bumped. "Look, this happens all the time," he said. "I'm in the hotel industry. I know better than you do." Those of us who travel all the time (but had never had anything like this happen) looked at each other in disbelief at his arrogance and his willingness to gaslight us. Staggeringly, there was no manager on duty at all.

I asked the young woman what I should do now. She told me (only after I explicitly asked) that my reservation had been transferred to another "very nice property" "about two and a half miles away" that morning, and that "there would be no extra fee." It was all arranged, she said; I just needed to show up there and give them my name, and I would be able to check in immediately. Other guests, upon hearing this, demanded of the other man if they had the same deal.

As I stepped away from the desk, one of the cancelled guests told me they also were told by the rude man that everyone who had used a service like Expedia, Hotels.com or Booking.com had been bumped in favor of those who had paid more for their rooms.

Rather than stand around glowering with everyone else, I took a longing look at the free happy hour reception, which was being laid out, and made my way to the address the clerk provided. It turned out to be about 10 miles away, not 2.5, and was a low-end two-star hotel, not even close to the quality promised by the Cupertino Inn -- they certainly shouldn't have bragged that they "paid the difference" to put me up in the other hotel.

I swallowed my pride and my expectations of a luxury vacation, because I was exhausted and just wanted to check in, then went in and gave my name to the reception desk, saying that I was one of the people the Cupertino Inn had sent over. The clerk looked at me in confusion and said that he had not been told of anyone being sent over by the Cupertino Inn.

I explained what I had just gone through, sat for another half an hour while he tried to reach his off-duty manager, who also knew nothing, and then he called and tried to reach the front desk at the Cupertino Inn. He finally got hold of someone, who told him that they "should have" sent all the details to his hotel. He said they hadn't received anything, and wasn't even sure if they had enough rooms available to accommodate everyone, so the Cupertino Inn person said they would send over all the reservation details "soon."

The clerk hung up and looked at me, swallowing, clearly nervous, so I took the initiative and called Hotels.com, where I had originally booked my Cupertino Inn reservation. I explained the situation yet again, and they called the Cupertino Inn to figure out what was going on. Many minutes later, they switched back over to me and told me they were told someone had smoked in one of the rooms in the Cupertino Inn, causing the whole wing to be flooded by sprinklers.

If this was true, and if anyone at the Cupertino Inn had bothered to explain this to me in the first place, I would have felt a lot more empathy than I did at the prospect of being bumped just because I had used a "wholesale hotel travel agent" and lost out to other people who had paid more than me.

The Hotels.com representative seemed absolutely baffled at the Cupertino Inn representative's attitude, and apologized over and over for how the hotel had treated me and the other guests.

Long story short, Hotels.com was kind enough to cancel my star-crossed Cupertino Inn reservation and put me up in a much better hotel, so four hours after I first tried to check in, I was sitting in my room at the other hotel, where I could take a dip in the pool, and where a robot was sent up to deliver me water.

Room Tip: Don't expect to be guaranteed a room if you use Expedia
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
CBono1, General Manager at Cupertino Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Sorry to hear of the challenges. Please contact me at cbono@cghotelgroup.com as I am not aware of any member of my team yelling as described in your review. All our employees and manager have also name tags. This is not the way The Cupertino Hotel operates and many mentions seem so inaccurate, I would like to discuss them further with you. Last but not least, the pool and robot is our sister property which is located 1.5 mile away, not 10 miles.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

Was going to a Soul 2 Soul concert starring Tim McGraw and Faith Hill at the SAP center in San Jose. The Inn is only 8 to 10 minutes drive to the SAP which was very convenient. Booked my online reservation for one night only for a Saturday stay. The price of the room was $109 which suited my pocket book. The rooms are clean and well stocked with mini refridgerator. Although the one thing I was not impress with is the old fashion air conditioning. It just run for about five minutes and then if would go off. Other than that, the bed was comfortable and the decor of the room was modern. For an old Inn, if you are not picky about air conditioning, then it is the place to stay. It is just right off freeway 280 and DeAnza Blvd. The swimming pool is very inviting and the patio by the pool is where the spread of beautiful and tasty free breakfast is held. Try the delicious waffle and the omelet cook to your liking at the Chef's cooking station. Fruits, yogurt, condiments, sauces, fresh coffees and teas to your hearts desire.

Stayed: July 2017
CBono1, General Manager at Cupertino Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Thank you for your kind review and 4 star ratings. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

Hotel refused to check my family in, claiming water damages at the property. Parking lot was full of guests' vehicles and more guests were being checked in as I was standing there frustrated. Why were they turning my family around and letting other people check in? I was told that out of 120+ rooms, 30% were affected and that "my room" was damaged. Hard to believe they had preassigned a room for my months old reservation. Harder to believe their story since, as of 10pm, it was plain to see most of rooms were brightly lit. Rejecting guests who made reservations early at lower rates and accepting guests who were paying higher rate? That's my guess. Front desk manager Patrick and Gil were non-apologetic and apathetic for our having to find another room at 10pm. Never, ever making a reservation at this property again.

Room Tip: Next to interstate freeway, Old building with water damages, Rude front CS
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Joon C
CBono1, General Manager at Cupertino Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2017

Thank you for your review. We truly apologize for any inconvenience caused.
At The Grand Hotel, we strive to provide the best customer service. Please note that NO hotels in the world including The Grand is not "choosing" guests based on rates. Rooms lit does not indicate any specific if they are occupied or not.

I invite you to contact me directly at cbono@cghotelgroup.com.

Claudio Bono

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cupertino
1.6 km away
2.5 km away
Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
1.6 km away
Courtyard San Jose Cupertino

Been to Cupertino Inn? Share your experiences!