“Big Place Filled 98% with Chinese”
Review of Koi Palace

Koi Palace
Ranked #3 of 203 Restaurants in Daly City
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 January 2018

Which is probably a very good thing since they would know good dim sum when they eat it.

Went in a group of 7. We went Christmas week, so I don't think the amount of time we had to wait for a table should be used as normal.

We over-ordered. We had enough left over, and put into travel cartons, to feed another person at least. We were quite full when we left.

The service was pretty quick considering the place was packed with a line filling the waiting area and out the door. The food was very good. Quality, authentic dim sum.

The bill was $488 for the 7 of us + the lucky person (or two) who got the leftovers, total 8 people. That included tip. $60/person for dim sum, if it's good, is a little pricey but not crazy for quality dim sum.

Reviewed 17 December 2017 via mobile

We have been going here for about 15 years, 30+ times per year, on weekend mornings. There are many good dishes that have gone unchanged (Siu Mai, xiao long bau (despite being made remotely now),Har Gow, nye wong bau, Soy Noodles, hai Kim, char Siu rice roll, coffee ribs) but many favorites that have slipped. Fung zhao used to have a nice mandarin orange zest to balance the fattiness or the dish, but no more (and is often overcooked/undercooked).The sai yong donuts used to be large and airy but to make order more affordable have reduced size; now they’re smaller and denser so never order anymore. They used to have steamed coconut 1000 layer cake but no more. Dry-fried custard pancake used to be awesome but stopped offering that, too. KP is still the best around—we go around the bay regularly to other dim sum places and think this is still the best. But the bar has been lowered and we are a bit sad. Please note I have not mentioned price at all—dim sum has always been spendy but KP management decisions regarding menu seem arbitrary as if customers are skint. The good news is that new dishes are proposed regularly, now on a receipt you get when sitting down—much better than constantly chasing a new dish being delivered elsewhere just to find out what it is. Try the bo-lay tea—helps digestion and cuts the fat better than jasmine.

Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

Disappointing visit. Went for a dinner for a friend’s event and the food was mediocre. I expected more and it was expensive for the amount of food we ordered. Would not return here.

Reviewed 8 November 2017

This was my first visit to this restaurant I was very pleased. I am a Dim Sum fan and I have eaten at many places and Koi ranks right at the top. Very busy at lunch time however they move things along. The service was great the food was wonderful and the price was very fare. Next time I go to the City I will keep driving north to Koi's.

Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

We have been coming to this place for years, almost every time we visit SF. The place is always packed in the morning. Food is pretty good, very consistent over the years. I would say it has been on the pricey side for dim sum, but freshly made. Use the Dinfo app to get your number in the lineup early. Expect to wait up to an hour on weekends.