See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

One of the worst hotels we have ever been. The smell of the rug , the old furniture for more than a hundred dollars a night. It has been one of the worst experiences. We won't book in that place anymore.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Nerissa M, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2018

Ronald M,

We are sorry to hear that your stay & experience was unpleasant. We do our very best to ensure our rooms & amenities are thoroughly cleaned and maintained. Thank you for bringing this misstep to our attention, as it helps us to improve. We hope you will give us another chance should you return to the area.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

was shocked when reviewing my credit card bill too find that the hotel had added a extra charge the day after I had checked out , they did not contact me just billed me for ? as an overseas visitor I am discusted with the maid service is conducting frawd in an effort to up the room rate for there own personal ??
Hotel managmet also supports this sort of acts if they are not the ones who do this
for the extra dollars

Room Tip: stay in another hotel
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank nissan280
Tina M, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2018

nissan280,

Thank you for your feedback. We value your opinion and apologize for your experience. We offer different rates during the time of the year and on weekends. We will try to ensure this mistake doesn't happen again. I hope you can give us another chance to make your experience better. Let us know what we can do better next time.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

Looked cool in pictures so I was hoping for a nice place with a Cali feel to it. Actually, it is dirty and run down and sketchy. Right next to a major freeway. Carpet feels greasy. Shower drain slow. Weird random people coming in and out of parking lot - maybe from the convenience store next door or maybe they were staying at this hotel? Every time I went to the parking lot I noticed a different sketchy person staring at me, so maybe I don't have enough of a criminal/tough guy look to blend in around here. Speaking of parking lot, it has years of grime that has tracked into the hotel walkways so all of the parking lot and outdoor walkways are stained and smell gross. My daughter plugged her nose every time she left the room to walk to the car. While we were there, a couple got into a verbal argument in the parking lot, then the guy threw her stuff onto the ground and rode away on his motorcycle. Real classy place. On the plus side, the sheets seemed to have been changed, but that's about all I can say positive about it. I drove around to some of the other hotels I had considered and all El Cajon lodging seems substandard so maybe this is just normal for El Cajon? I have family nearby but I won't be staying in El Cajon next time I visit - not in this hotel nor any other El Cajon hotel.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel. Don't get any hotel in El Cajon they are all junk.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank bcuztacos
Chetan P, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Dear Guest,

I apologize your were disturb by the people going in and out of the gas station and the Taco shop, since the hotel is situated behind the gas station and taco shop we share the same entrance. However being in the back it is quiet and peaceful. Most of our guest finds the gas station and the taco shop to be great addition. Yes we do have an old building showing aging, however we did go thru an extensive renovation in 2014 and keep changing things as needed. We have replaced all bedding, all tv to new LCD tv. Which has been a great hit with our guests.

Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

Check-in was smooth and staff member was friendly. The room had an unpleasant odor. There was no toilet paper in the room, so we had to go back to the desk and ask for a roll. The floor in the main room had dirty shoe prints. The bathroom had hair on the floor, toilet, and bathtub. The bathtub was dirty. The coffee had floaters. The waffles weren't bad. On the bright side, we tore the bed apart and saw no evidence of bedbugs.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank liljodo
Chetan P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us, we appreciate your business. I apologize for the unpleasant odor and house keeping failing to leave you any toilet paper. I will make sure the housekeeper that cleaned this room gets additional training. Once again we are sorry.

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Checked into room 109! OMG! How more disgusting can a hotel room be !!! The strong smell of smoke combined with antiseptic chlorine like and mold smell got into my lungs and my eyes !!!!
I left and went to front desk and found out that whatever reasons, I unfortunately by mistake rented a smoking room for handicapped (??) thank u Trip advisor for offering that type of room to a non handicapped and non smoker and asthmatic!
The front desk offered me a non smoking suite at a higher price ! They kept saying "we have nothing to rent but a non smoking suite at a higher price !!!"
The lady at the front desk was so unfriendly!
It is unfortunate ! My room was facing a run down pool with maybe kids screaming and yelling ... no nap with a 9 hour jet lag.
During the nite ,people passing by were screaming and talking loud as they were getting into their car since parking is in front of the rooms !!
I am exhausted !
What a terrible experience !

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Robert Pierre S
Chetan P, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Dear Robert,

As you admitted you had made a mistake by booking a smoking room, our staff offered you the only non smoking room they had and it was a suite. You had to pay the difference in rate which you refused. At this point the staff could do nothing for you. Since our smoking rooms are less expensive many guest book this room type and expect a free upgrade, which is not possible and then they get angry and falsify reviews. Next time book a the right room type.