“Pretty good fare, with a surcharge!”

Sammy's Woodfired Pizza & Grill - El Segundo
Ranked #46 of 163 Restaurants in El Segundo
Cuisines: International, Fusion
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

Felt like pizza, but wanted to try something new, so we ended up at Sammy's in Plaza El Segundo. This place is NOT in Manhattan Beach. (Really hate when places try to say they are in MB when they aren't!)

We started with Truffle Fries - absolutely excellent! Highly recommend!!!

For mains we choose:

Spicy Thai Grilled Chicken Salad - wonderful! Nice mix of fresh veggies and dressing with the chicken which was cooked properly - not too dry like so often found in such salads.

Spicy Italian Sausage pizza - if you enjoy Italian sausage the is a great choice.

They don't serve water unless you request, which we did.

They do impose a 3% surcharge, which to us is really just a gimmick for not raising prices. They claim the surcharge is because of the "new mandated minimum wage and other mandated increases". Not sure what pc bs this is, but I, personally, would have preferred they just say that the prices are 3% higher as a result of the (overbearing) regulations - just call it as it is - your operating costs are up.

This is a chain restaurant and not a "Mom and Pop" establishment.

Reviewed 19 November 2016

Had dinner here this past week; good Italian food at Sammy's. I had a traditional spaghetti in meat sauce. The pasta was more of an angel hair variety but very tasty with the meat bolognese. Pizza looked great although I did not have any - maybe next time! Portions were on the smaller side. Wait staff was attentive and courteous. Good draft beer selection too.

Reviewed 21 September 2016 via mobile

The staff is lacking. I'm lactose intolerant, so I ordered a pizza with vegan cheese. Yuck! This was my second visit at this location, I don't plan on going back.

Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

My daughter has a wheat allergy, so we ordered three gluten free pizzas (the whole family eats gluten free diet). When we ordered the gluten free crust, the waitress asked if there was any allergies so she could make sure no cross contamination would take place. Which is great because I didn't need to ask like I usually do. Food was excellent!

Reviewed 23 August 2016

We stopped in here for a last meal before coming back to Texas. It was convenient to our hotel, and had dog-friendly seating on the patio. No amenties such as water bowl or treats, but they will allow your dog to sit with you, which was something we needed.

We happened to arrive during happy hour, so ordered some small bites. The chicken satay was not hot, but the sauce had a good amount of kick. The beef empanada was also on the cold side, and again the sauce was the only notable part of the dish. We also tried the truffle fries, which were awful. My husband never leaves fries behind, and we easily left 2/3 of the dish.

For our main meal item we shared a brie and truffle pizza with mushrooms on the artisan thin crust. That, my friends, made up for the lackluster tapas. The crust was the lightest, crispiest crust i have ever had, and the toppings were perfect. I'd go back just for the pizza.

Service was poor - long wait between being seated and having our order taken, and we were not offered refills while we were waiting. Had to flag down a different server to get more water. There was a small family group that came in and was seated about the time we finished our appetizers, they were given menus and basically abandoned. They got up and left after about 10 minutes with no service with a less than polite racist comment.

We didn't have alcohol this visit, so can't speak to the quality there. But if you don't mind neglectful service in exchange for an outstanding pizza, try Sammy's.

2  Thank vluke69