“Wonderful but Noisy”
Review of Trattoria I Trulli

Trattoria I Trulli
Reserve with OpenTable
Trattoria I Trulli is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 318 Restaurants in Encinitas
Price range: US$29 - US$31
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between G & H Street
Transit: Encinitas Coaster stop 3 blocks North and 1 block East of our location
Description: Cozy and quaint setting that will bring you back to Italia! A true trattoria one would find roadside in Tuscany. Our cuisine is traditional authentic Italian. With many classical dishes including homemade lasagne, our classic ricotta & spinach ravioli and gnocchi made in house daily. Bread fresh from the oven every morning compliments our garlicky Sicilian tomato pesto dipping sauce. A rock star wine list with more than 100 bottles offered at every price point and more than 20 wines by the glass to choose from. Daily specials are more contemporary Italian with a range of game meats including rabbit, venison, quail and bison using produce and recipes of the season. Gluten-free & whole grain pastas are available as well as a wide variety of vegetarian items to choose from. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service and high quality products for an enchanting experience for all of our guests. Raise your glass and fill your soul with heart and goodness ~ cheers!
Reviewed 13 September 2017

The staff is most gracious and accommodated some last minute changes to our party. The service most efficient without being cloying. The sauce served with the bread is quite unique with a great little bite. Everyone was happy with the meals...no complaints at all. The Linguine Mediterraneo was spectacular the next day for breakfast.

Reviewed 4 August 2017

One of our favorite Italian restaurants in the area. Wide slection of typical Italian cuisine, I like the Cioppino a lot. Plenty of fish and a tasty tomato base. Friendly service, not too expensive and friendly service. A good selection of Italian and domestic wines.

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

My wife and I dined here on our romantic beach trip. We happened upon the restaurant and were treated to a wonderful evening. Started with an eggplant appetizer and then I had haddock in a green sauce. My wife had the shrimp and both dishes were excellent. Service was sharp and attentive. We loved this place and will return on our next trip.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

I have eaten here several times before and I have always had excellent service and very tasty food. This time was no different. I have tried something different each time I go, but the gnocchi is my favorite. I have always been here for lunch and believe the lunch prices are good for the location. The only downside is the parking. It's easier to just park across the street at the Lumberyard Shopping and walk to the restaurant.

Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

I want to preface this by saying that I dine out very, very frequently- all over the world, and anyone who knows me knows I happily pay for a satisfying meal, delicious dining experience, and for plain old good quality well prepared food in general. When I travel I seek it out.

Was visiting Encinitas CA for the day and happened upon this restaurant. Having had a good experience at their sister restaurant in Little Italy a few years ago, I peeked at the menu and decided to go in for an early dinner on a Saturday. Seating was quick with no wait.

Our waiter was very good, and was patient and helpful in selecting a wine we would enjoy. Service remained good from start to finish.

We were presented with a bread basket and tomato sauce for dipping. At first bite we noted the bread was disappointing, but the sauce was rancid- had that tingly sensation in our mouths when we ate it. Heavy garlic but I love garlic and the sensation was definitely not from the spice! Mentioned to our waiter who had the manager Tom come over- he placed another sauce down- he said this one was todays batch. All I could think with that comment was, what was I eating before, and how old was it??? Why am I not getting todays fresh batch?

Then came first course- peaches wrapped w Prosciutto fresh mozzarella on arugula. The peaches were hard and needed knife to cut- not ripe, no flavor. Waiter said he noticed this when he was in kitchen knew we would find issue. Apologized. Sent manager over Tom again. We said cheese was delicious but other was not- explained unripe hard flavorless peaches. sent it back. I told him I don't want to be a pain but I have family/friends as chefs, that I cook myself, and many I know own restaurants as well so I do have some expectations. Regardless of skill in preparation, freshness and quality are a must and a bare minimum at this type of establishment.

Then we got our dishes - a polenta crusted halibut and gnocchi. The halibut was dry and finer flake. I prepare this fish myself and living in seattle i know my fish. It did not taste like halibut. The flavor was also not fresh- tasted old or frozen. Not acceptable fish on Saturday should be fresh. We sent back after 1 bite.

The flavor of the sauce on our gnocchi was excellent- the texture gnocchi was on the hard/rubbery side however and not tender, as they should be. We ate the gnocchi because by this point we were starving.

We were told dessert would be on the house- we ordered an chocolate hazelnut ice cream confection and a strawberry napoleon. Both good.

The bill came . They charged is for the dessert after all. We ate it -I was fine paying but after the mention it was on the house we questioned the charge. Tom the manager came back out and said "what do you want me to do I already lost an appetizer and the fish." No apology for our experience, no correction

We paid and left. We wont be back.