“Smelly, Bad Service and a "Who Cares?" Attitude -- Could you ask for more?” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Extended Stay America - Fairfield - Napa Valley

and 1 more site!
Extended Stay America - Fairfield - Napa Valley
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Fairfield
Phoenix, Arizona
“Smelly, Bad Service and a "Who Cares?" Attitude -- Could you ask for more?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

Here's one of the worst two night stays I've had in a long time. Unfortunately, it was all I could find on Memorial Day weekend in the NorCal area up near Napa. Actually, it's about 30 minutes from wine country. When we arrived, the person at the front desk couldn't care less about the minor issues we had with the room. It would have been so easy to fix. Instead, this guy tried to nick us for everything . . . want the Internet? That'll cost you $5. Not satisfied with the Queen and looking for a King bed? That'll cost you $10. This place has no concerns whatsoever about the guest -- it is simply a racket.

The hotel smelled horrible when we walked in, and the smell didn't go away the entire two days -- we're talking about the entire hotel, not just our room. The bed was absolutely horrible -- it made noise whenever either of us moved and it woke the other person up. The bathroom floors were really gross. There was a smoke detector or some kind of electronic thing on the ceiling over the bed that FLASHED brightly at night every 30 seconds.

There was a fridge but only one spoon in the drawer. There's no maid service here, either, and if you just want your towels "freshened" and such, it's going to cost you $5. As we said, this operation is run as a racket with ZERO concern about the customer's experience. Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Stay away from noisy rooms facing the interstate
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank Lindaj99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Glenshaw
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2010

This property is about 4 or 5 years old and in very good shape. While it is true that you do not receive maid service, that was no big deal for us during our 2 night stay, and we knew that at the front end. The front desk staff was pleasant and helpful. The only minor issue we had (did not even report it to the desk) was that the box springs for the king bed made excessive creaking sounds ...... no big deal (and we still slept very well) but a bit odd considering the overall good condition of the room. Took about 15-20 minutes to drive to the heart of Napa Valley ............. given the prices nearer to Napa, this hotel makes a lot of sense.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
central Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2009

It wasn't a totally bad experience--actually until I left, it was going to get 4 stars. The good points--big room, nicely furnished, full kitchen, comfortable bed. My only complaint from the start was that the internet cost $5, and this isn't the type of property that would naturally attract guests who enjoy paying for something that's free almost everywhere else. But I didn't need it, so no big deal. I slept well despite slight freeway noise.

The problem came when I checked out. It was 6 am, so I didn't expect much. I pulled around to the front door and walked right in--it was unlocked (the back door required the room key for entry). At the desk, no one. I waited, then began looking around to see if whoever was staffing it just didn't notice me--nope, nobody was there. So I picked up the courtesy phone and rang the front desk number. It just rang and rang. So I tossed my key card on the desk and left. I didn't need to talk to anyone, but I was very concerned that the hotel would leave the front door wide open and the desk unstaffed. Someone who knew what he was doing could have gotten on the computer and made a key to get in any room. That lack of security, even in a place like Fairfield, bothers me.

So I was happy to receive a "how did we do" email from corporate HQ right after my stay. I let them know about the security problem, and a few days later got a response from the hotel manager. She said she was sorry I had a bad experience and would talk to the staff working that morning. Seemed kind of canned to me. But at least they wrote back.

It's a good location, close to 80 and lots of restaurants and stores, and if not for the security issue I'd stay there again. But that really soured me on it...if you're not going to staff the desk all night, lock the door!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mapcat
Fairfield,ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2008

I have to say extended stay is a great hotel, they started a apartment program where they're offering fully furnished studios for $899 monthly I greatly took advantage of that I think its a great idea , they,re surrounded by lots of restaurants and stores. The staff is really helpful and friendly I can honestly say Im enjoying my stay.

• Liked — Very comfortable and safe.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Eastbayca1
los angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2008

we booked two rooms, one for our parents and one for us, for one night for our drive back from oregon to los angeles. we arrived after 11pm which is when the front desk closes so we tried several times to get in touch with someone but was unsuccessful until the 7th try--but luckily, there is till someone there to check you in after 11pm, you just have to use the service phone in the lobby to get them to open the door for you if you have reservations. the rooms itself smelled sooooo bad--our parents room smelled like urine and our room acutally had urine stains on the bathroom floor. the carpets also were stained pretty bad. the shower head in the bathroom leaked upwards so when we showered, the entire bathroom floor got wet! the lady that checked us in wasn't very welcoming either. after staying at the extended stay at beaverton, oregon for three nights (which we had paid less for $45 a night vs $60 a night ), this extended stay is far inferior when it comes to their amenities and service. good thing we were only there for nine hours.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family