All reviews yosemite valley fire engine rocking chairs south entrance forest view mariposa grove nearest town tenaya lodge hot tub nice balcony sugar pie breakfast was included three nights on site restaurant front office ceiling fan yogurt
Reviewed 25 June 2018

We stayed four nights but only had our two rooms serviced once. In reality, the set up caters for one nighters. We raised our concerns with the owner before putting this on trip advisor, but as he failed to respond we decided to alert other customers.

On arrival both rooms were clean and presented as expected. However, neither room was serviced in full or at all until our third day, even though we raised a complaint twice with reception staff. Both rooms were eventually fully serviced at around 4pm however I believe this only occurred because I spoke with your head housekeeper who then rearranged her schedule to ensure we were prioritised. The following points detail what we sent to the owner, but no reply was forthcoming :-
1. You provide a three star hotel, for which you charge guests -and we paid- but the housekeeping standards fall well below this rating.
2. Your head of housekeeping, was the only member of your staff to understand that your hotel had failed in its service promise and used her initiative to re-prioritise her work load in an attempt to improve the situation for us.
3. We understand from both head of house keeping and your manager, that recruiting and retaining staff is a problem. Indeed it clearly is, however, this is your problem and not that of your customers. If you are unable to deliver on your service promise then you cannot charge for those services which you fail to provide and/or to the standard explicit in your hotel rating.
4. We appreciate that your manage came to our room on day 3 to listen to our concerns and offered us a $75 voucher to use in your restaurant as some form of acknowledgement of service failure. However, he only came to see us after our second complaint in two days, and after we had already spoken to the head housekeeper seeking her intervention on our behalf.

Bottom line, one night is fine, but on an extended stay, standards may not be maintained!

Date of stay: April 2018
3  Thank Oaktree198
Reviewed 19 June 2018

Let me be clear at the very outset: The Narrow Guage Inn is a good value for the money. The rustic look of the inn first caught my eye as I was driving by from Bass Lake to Yosemite National Park. On a hunch, I stopped by to snap some pictures of the property. As I wondered around, I bumped into the property's best brand ambassador, George Ohan. George wears many hats at the inn including tourguide. As a brand ambassador, he showed me around the property and made it a point to show me the many ways in which the property was built to blend into its natural forest surroundings. I was sold and vowed to stay there the next time I was in Yosemite.

I had no idea that "next time" would be the following day because my hike to Nevada Falls had taken longer than I had thought. Tired from a long day in the park, I decided to spend an extra night instead of driving back to San Diego at 7 p.m. I made my reservation through Travelociy and got to the inn around 9 p.m.

I was pleasantly surprised with this boutique hotel. My single room with a kingsize bed had free WiFi and a patio with good views of the forest. Although the bathroom was a bit small and only had a shower, it was fine. Although they charge $9 for breakfast, that's fine.

Folks, this is a good value for the money. Like most inns near the park, this is not a high-end or luxury establishment, but it is a great place to unwind after a busy day in the park. If glittering properties are what you are after, drive about 3 hours to Fresno or the other cities near the park. I honestly cannot understand what the people who rate this property poorly are carping about. It is reasonably priced given its proximity to the park. I encourage you to give it a chance.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank fkasule
Reviewed 18 June 2018

First time visitor. A little on the pricey side for lodgings. For one night @ $220.39 taxes incl. Rooms and furnishings could use an update. Maybe in its 'hay day' you might refer to it as quaint. Maintenance staff required to replace half of the light bulbs in room as they were burnt out. Bed was comfortable enough. Strange layout of bathroom. No view offered from deck but trunks of trees.
The onsite restaurant was excellent for a late night snack and drinks. The mac and cheese with truffle appetizer was delicious. Compliments to the chef. Our server was wonderful,she was attentive, pleasant and added to the overall dining experience,
The inn is within walking distance to the Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad and a short driving distance to Wawona.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 June 2018

This was so disappointing when the reviews were so good. The rooms are not clean and the linens are old and tired. Also charged for breakfast when it was advertised as free. The ac was inadequate so the room was very warm. The only thing we enjoyed was the restaurant. The cook is very good as well as the bartender.

Room tip: Old and tired expensive for what you get. One hour from Yosemite valley
Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank 215ami
Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

The hotel is conveniently located about 6 miles miles from the Yosemite Park entrance and looks charming when you first arrive. There’s ample free parking and rooms come with a balcony or sitting out area. That’s all the good news. The hotel is otherwise poorly managed and maintained.

I was checked in very slowly by unfriendly staff. Others were treated likewise. When we got to our rooms, we discovered the electricity was off and remained off for some hours. The staff did not tell us this at check in and made no effort to tell us when power would return.

The hotel boasts it was established in the 1950s. Unfortunately, the decor and furnishings come from the same age. Everything is tired and worn. The bathroom sink and walls were dirty and remained so for the three days I stayed. Cigarette butts filled the ashtray on my balcony—I don’t smoke—and remained uncleared throughout the stay.

Guests expect amenities like a refrigerator and microwave in a hotel that’s near a country park and 20 miles from the nearest town, but the Narrow Gauge provides very basic facilities and perhaps hopes you will eat in its restaurant. But the restaurant and bar look like something from The Shining. The breakfast room is also dark and dingy and offers a dreadful breakfast.

When I checked out I asked to settle the bill by cash. But the desk clerk said they had charged my credit card in full on check in. No one told me this.

This could be a lovely hotel if they brought it into the 21st century and trained the staff to treat visitors as guests and not cash cows.

Trip type: Travelled solo