“Pretty decent, funky atmosphere, good food”
Review of Russian River Pub

Russian River Pub
Ranked #7 of 16 Restaurants in Forestville
Cuisines: Pub
Reviewed 8 December 2014

We stopped here on a recent visit to the area. We'd been driving and seeing the redwoods nearby and thought it would be a good stop, based on TA reviews. The dining area was almost empty around 1 pm, but we figured it was early in the week. We noticed that it had been featured on Guy Fieri's DDD (no indication which category he put this in, though I might guess it was the third D). The bartender was serving the tables since it was pretty slow. We had soup, a small salad and pulled pork with waffle fries. The servings were pretty big, and the pulled pork was tender and flavorful. No, it's not much to look at, but the food is good and it's a comfortable place. I'd call it a neighborhood place where locals come to hang out, but the neighborhood stretches over miles and nobody lives within walking distance.
I'd go back if I had the chance, but there are other places to try along the Russian River.

Reviewed 29 September 2014

This looked like a little pub from the outside, but boy did the food live up to the reviews! Great food, pulled pork made in house, clam chowder, prime rib sandwich, and tri tip sandwiches. Really good, and everyone was very friendly. Great after wine tasting and seeing the scenery!

Reviewed 16 September 2014

For several years I drove right past this place on my way to the Sonoma Coast. Finally, my son recommended it after he tried it based on the Drive-Ins, Diners, and Dives list. From the road it does look a little like a Dive, but, oh, the food is terrific! The pulled pork sandwich calls my name; the vegetarian sandwich is one of the best ever. And, you can get a Damnation beer that simply calls to you every time you drive down that road! Stop there. You won't be sorry. And by the way, the servers are the nicest people in town!

Reviewed 13 September 2014

We went to this place because it was on the Drive-In, Diner, Dive list. The food was just ok, but enjoyed sitting outside on their nice patio.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

How can I say anything disparaging about this place when they treated us so kindly and so friendly. I have to give the staff five stars for service, attending to us, checking back at just the right time, and all with such sweetness and kindness.

We ordered a couple of cocktails, on a wonderfully pleasant long weekend night, the kind where the sun would be up until 8:30. Then we ordered the wings and split the prime rib, or ribeye roast (I can't remember which), which came with a salad and I think we ordered another dinner salad on the side. Then . . . SALT! The wings were hot and spicy, but SALTY! The salad dressing was way too salty. The steak was even over-salted. My wife ate one bite and we had to take it home.

Later, after a few drinks at home were able to enjoy the leftovers. I think that's the idea, that you have to be drunk to stomach all that salt. I don't know if this is indicative of a smoker in the kitchen, or just a habitual way of cooking.

I hope the pub gets this review because this is standing in their way of being a stellar, more-than-one-time-stop, at least for us. They don't seem to be hurting for business and it's a friendly little bar in Forestville, so it's not like we won't stop in for a drink sometime. But such a shame, with that idyllic, pleasant outdoor dining area with the golden sunlight falling around at dusk, that the otherwise quality food is taste-obliterated by salt. Again, I didn't want to insult them or complain, but it's just not an acceptable salt level, at least the night we were there. They are so sweet and kind! What a shame (for us, at least).