“Liked it so much we came back for a second stay”

Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Foster City
Reviewed 17 August 2015

This post is an update to my previous post about the Crowne Plaza. I had misplaced some sentimental items and am happy that I found them in my belongings despite my own negligence of not using the safe.

April 2015 stay: We had a spacious, clean, comfortable room with an in-room safe, and refrigerator. It was very quiet but the building also has a dedicated quiet floor. We used the gym located in the sky bridge between both buildings, very nicely equipped and spacious. The hotel has an open and inviting lobby and pool area. The Easter Sunday brunch is spectacular (looks good, we didn't partake).

July 2015 stay: We liked the Crowne Plaza so much we came back for a one night stay and took advantage of their park and fly package. Absolutely excellent experience. The breakfast buffet was delicious even though we only had 15 minutes to eat, definitely will want to spend more time to enjoy breakfast next time. The hotel shuttle took us to SFO and we were able to leave our car in their parking lot safely during our vacation. I've been telling my friends and neighbors about our wonderful stays at Crowne Plaza, thank you for being such a gem in San Mateo/Foster City!

The hotel is within walking distance of Bridgepoint Mall. There's a Target and some family friendly restaurants: BJ's Brewery, Red Robin, Mimi's Cafe, Armadillo Willy. The hotel location is central in the Bay Area, right off the freeway and about 30 minutes from San Francisco, San Jose, the Pacific Ocean, and the East Bay.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 August 2015 via mobile

This hotel is brand new!! Check in process was excellent! We are currently here and loving it! But the so to say "club" and so to say "promoter" or "wanna be" should consider who he is talking to.
Don't decline someone to get in at 9.00pm because he is wearing shorts, especially when he comes to pick up a drink at the only bar of the hotel, especially when your "club" is empty and especially considering the crowd whom wouldn't mind me to be there even wearing my shorts. Also do not decline the entrance of your "club" especially when just my shirt is probably more expensive than your entire suit. This was mean but you deserve it.
The hotel staff is great! Once I told them my story they escorted me us in the bar by a back door right away, I think they were even upset about the wannabe bouncer himself. So far I love it and if it was not for them I would rate a minus 25 based on the bar experience. Icing on the cake! When I left the bar with my drink in my hand to get back to my room I was rudely stopped again by this full of himself short kid asking me if I was a guest of the hotel because of not I couldn't take my drink out of the bar. This really was too much!

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2015

Can't fault the location, several minutes off the 101, easy access to Bridgepointe business park, you know what you are getting when you stay at any of the chains, big box hostelry, some points in its favour, no charge for overnight parking which can range from $25 - $35 a night all along the 101, and free breakfast which was better than some of the breakfast buffets I have paid for, helpful staff, rooms clean and one of the better sleeps I have had at a big chain hotel. Its also not cost prohibitive except when you go through the eccentricities of bay area hotel pricing, ie the ability to double rates overnight when a conference is on.

Room Tip: not one facing the freeway or on the ground floor
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 July 2015

My nephew booked rooms here for friends and family members flying in for his wedding. It was the perfect location - about 15 minutes from the airport. After a long flight from the east coast followed a wedding rehearsal and jet lag, I was eager to check in at the hotel. The lobby is beautiful - lots of glass, tropical plants, a waterfall and pond area - very serene. The people at the front desk were friendly and helpful in getting me up to my room. The room was spacious - lots of counter space in the bathroom and a comfortable bed. The breakfast buffet was excellent - a great selection of food. They even have a place where you can order your own omelettes and waffles cooked to order. Once I was seated, a waiter came around periodically to see if I needed refills on my juice or tea. Everything was delicious and relaxing. There is a big shopping center nearby in case you forgot to pack something. Complimentary parking is available, but the hotel also offers a free shuttle to SFO.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2015

if you have business in the San Mateo area the hotel is a convenient option. rooms are functional and adequate. the sports bar is the highlight with great screens and pretty good food. the Japanese restaurant is also not bad. there are also good dining options in the nearby Bridgepointe Mall area.

Room Tip: rooms in the exec tower are newer and in better condition
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank ASR2009
CrownePlazaFC, Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2015

Dear ASR2009,

Thank you for leaving your review. We are very pleased to hear your stay was a pleasant one. We are very fortunate to be in a convenient location next to major highways with access to many food and entertainment options. Hopefully we will see you again in the near future when you are in the area!

Crowne Plaza Foster City Management

4.3 km away
Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO
0.9 km away
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo

Been to Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo? Share your experiences!