“Lovely lunch!”
Review of The Spoon Trade

The Spoon Trade
Ranked #1 of 62 Restaurants in Grover Beach
Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

We visited here on the recommendation of our AirBnb, and we are really glad we did. A varied and interesting selection of food - I had the sweet onion soup which was really tasty with the sourdough bread to dip - yum! Husband had the eggs benedict and cup of soup.
Staff were very friendly, cheerful and attentive. Definitely visit if you’re in the area!

Reviewed 9 May 2018

We have been here for brunch about a dozen times and we love this place. It's nice and casual, clean, open kitchen. Friendly staff. It's noisy inside, so the patio may be quieter if you're wanting something a bit quieter. I like the noise, it makes the place feel alive and happy. Food is great.. but we haven't tried everything yet. I love that they use local fresh ingredients. The fresh squeezed juice is great! Coffee is great (though no decaf when we went) - comes with homemade sugar cubes! Husband always gets the chicken and waffles, I almost always get the eggs benny, but tried a veggie quiche that was on the menu one day, and it was super delicious. Owners are always around and check in and ask how everything was. It may be a bit pricey depending on what you're expecting to pay.. so check the menu, but for us when we're in town it's always worth it!

Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

Everyone we know who has come here once, has come back multiple times. We now happily join the ranks of return guests. It’s a great place to eat.

The atmosphere is casual, welcoming and very comfortable. There is a small bar and a small outdoor patio. The inside seating area almost feels like you’re eating in a small town diner out in the country. The staff could not be more friendly. This place is popular and there can be a wait to get in after about 6:30pm, but you can call ahead and get your name on the waiting list. It’s well worth the wait.

Their signature cocktail list has a unique focus on vermouth cocktails. I ordered the Vermule and loved it. Everyone gets a small 1/4 cup of soup (cauliflower on our two visits), a very tasty amuse-bouche. Consider ordering some of their freshly made bread (all pastas and breads are made onsite). We didn’t this time, but did on our first visit. It’s excellent.

The menu isn’t extensive but the offerings are varied and always interesting, particularly the specials of the day. On this trip I ordered the Little Gems Salad (the greens were fresh and the dressing was excellent) and the Duck Fettuccine pasta special of the day. The pasta special was outstanding, with a light Parmesan broth over the pasta and a very generous portion of perfectly prepared duck confit mixed in. My wife ordered the Mixed Greens Salad (she thought the dressing was too light) and the Roasted Vegetables and Polenta, which was excellent. We finished by splitting a piece of tasty rhubarb/strawberry upside down cake and a small pot of excellent coffee.

There is no question that we will return.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

They were recommended to us, and we were not disappointed. The food was amazing and the service was impeccable. Will definitely be returning.

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

I’ve eaten here a few times. Was never really blown away by the food, but I always wanted it to do well in Grover. Grover needs more good restaurants. This time was different. The service was spot on. Friendly, fast, attentive. All the things a restaurant should be. The food. The food was especially good. I don’t know if they got a new cook, using different farms, or if I was just extra hungry but everything was very tasty.
I ordered the chicken and waffles. Yum! The chicken was super crispy and the waffles had the perfect amount of syrup and butter on them. A friend got the meatloaf. So much flavor. Grilled cheese with avocado, two thumbs up! I’m so happy I had a great experience this time around. Not that the others were bad, just not memorable. Next time I’ll save room for dessert.