Cottages on River Road(Guerneville)(Great Value!)
US$630
US$510
Johnson's Beach - Cabins and Campground(Guerneville)(Great Value!)
US$185
HIExpress.com
Riverlane Resort(Guerneville)
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsvineyard viewswine countryspa treatmentsroom was spacious and cleancozy fireplaceprivate deckget awayking suitestaff was very friendly and helpfullast weekendwithin easy walking distancesmall towndowntown guernevillepropertysafewaysuggestionspasses
Reviewed 20 February 2018

The hotel is OK overall, but there are a few things that need serious improvements. A window in our room needed to be changed; it was almost entirely frosted with humidity trapped between the glass panes. That was disappointing. The heater was a gas fireplace; really nice until you want to go to sleep and realize it was a really dumb idea: the substantial light coming out of the fireplace makes it really hard to fall asleep and stay asleep! Lobby hours from Sunday to Thursday are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, however checking time is after 4:00 pm; in other words on those days you have one hour max to talk to a real person to check-in! You can call-in for a "late" arrival (if you happen to read the fine print in the email they send you; which I had not) to ask for the key to be put somewhere for you. But when you pay $190 per night, you are entitled to expect more personal service. Finally, the Wi-Fi worked but was noticeably slow. Overall, it was a somewhat disappointing experience.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2017

ATTENTION anyone looking for a hotel in West Sonoma County. BEWARE! I would NEVER recommend West Sonoma Inn in Guerneville. Our experience is not one I want others visiting Guerneville to think represents our awesome county. Besides the hotel itself being OK to sub-par for the price, we just had an unbelievably poor experience. At check-in a lady came from behind a curtain and snapped at my husband that this room, with an in-room hot tub, should have never been reserved for us with a 6 year old child, as another woman was checking him in …even though we clearly communicated our son's age when placing the reservation with Booking.com. Even after the initial reservation, my husband SPOKE with someone at the hotel, who was concerned we might have an infant and that the chemical smell might be a bit intense. But never said we were not allowed with a six year old. The second/last night we were there, called the desk around 8 to see if we could have a late check out at noon, rather than 11AM. The nice lady said “let me check, you're in luck, no one is booked for the room tomorrow, late check out is OK.” At 11:15 this AM, Davin and I are taking a last tub and the room phone rings 20 times. Then Davin's phone rings and he gets a message from the front desk, check out was at 11. When Davin calls the desk, the woman starts yelling at him that it's the 2nd violation for our room ...BUT IT WAS THEIR EMPLOYEE'S FAULT, not ours! Who blames the customer who just dropped over $400+ for her employee's errors and miscommunication?! My husband starts to say how displeased we were with other aspects of our stay and the woman says we are not welcome back and hangs up on him. So he walks to the office itself to get Sunny's name (oh, the irony!) and she says he is being bombastic, that we need to leave immediately, she is calling the police. WOW, Sunny should NOT be in the hospitality industry. West Sonoma Inn will never get my business or recommendation again. Taking our 'staycation' back to Calistoga!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank s1gold
WSISonoma_California, Owner at West Sonoma Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2017

We do not entertain bullying at the West Sonoma Inn & Spa. Your behavior made our employees and guests uncomfortable. ALL of your requests were accommodated, regardless of policy. We drew the line at your husband, verbally assaulting our manager Sunny, in our lobby, in front of awaiting guests. Needless to say, we kindly request you stay elsewhere in future.

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

The place is nice, very easy access to town. Pool is green which was concerning despite the fact it was open. Cute hammocks. Beds are nice. Coffee and fridge in the room. Definitely need the ac during the day. If you aren't going to be in the room much it doesn't matter as much since it's pretty cool at night. The carpet could use a good cleaning.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
WSISonoma_California, Manager at West Sonoma Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2017

Thanks so much for your thoughtful feedback.
The pool was closed during your stay and for 2 weeks prior due to damaged equipment; you should have received a %10 for your trouble. If a mistake was made there, please call into our office so we can make it right!
And rest assured that in light of these record breaking temperatures we will be making plans to add A/C to our accommodations. It's never been this hot here before, as you might imagine for a heavily wooded coastal community. But, as we drastically change our environment, so too must we change our expectations. We are projecting A/C being available for all Deluxe rooms as early as Spring 2018!

Reviewed 23 August 2017

I have stayed at this hotel 5-10 times over the past few years and have had great experiences until this weekend.

I took my fiance here for for a long weekend birthday escape, Thursday-Sunday. I would have booked Friday-Saturday, but they require 3-night stays.

On Friday morning we went down to read, sunbathe, and swim at the pool and noticed it was bright green in color. We asked about it and the reception person said that she didn't know what was wrong but that she had called the pool person. I asked her to call me and let me know whether it would open later that day. She never called. She said that we could not even sit near the pool because of safety issues. So, perhaps she did know there was a problem?

The next day, the pool was still green. I inquired at the desk and a different woman (with tattoos) at the desk made a joke about the problem (something about the loch ness monster). She laughed and said that it had been closed for three weeks. A baby's shoe was caught in the filter. They opened it briefly the last weekend, but it had been closed all week. She added that she wanted to fire her pool person. No suggestions, no solutions.

On Sunday, the pool was closed again. When I went to check out, the same woman from Saturday was there. She aggressively told me that they were taking 10% off and wouldn't even listen to me. She told me that they had offered all guests that complained before checkout passes to another pool and food vouchers. She never offered that to me or my fiance. I told her that she should email people with reservations and told them ahead of time. She told me she would put that in her "wheelhouse." I don't know what that means. She told me that I was probably at the pool party at the hotel down the street anyway. I was literally so stunned at how rude and aggressive she was, I honestly couldn't respond. I don't think anyone at any hotel has ever been so rude to me.

Here's the deal. Things break at hotels all the time. I understand that. The proper way to handle this is to tell your guests ahead of time that something is broken and what solution you can offer them. The wrong thing to do is to give no warning, provide no guidance, wait for guests to complain to offer a solution (to some), and then act rudely when a guest asks about the issue at checkout. 10% is not enough for a non-functioning pool and rude staff.

I won't even raise the issue that the "wifi," was slow when it intermittently worked and that the rooms are shoddy, to say the least.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yespete
WSI2017, Manager at West Sonoma Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2017

We're sorry you were so dissatisfied with your experience. We did discount your stay, and I did offer to connect you with a pool experience elsewhere. I am also sorry that you were so dissatisfied with me as a human being; I can only be myself, and most everyone likes me that way. I was and am bound within certain perimeters regarding discounts and special accommodations; As I suggested during our very cold interaction, you might email our proprietor at stay@westsonomainn.com

Be well, and safe travels.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

It could have been a very nice couple of days. A lot of thought and care has gone into the furnishings and decor but, for us, the place failed on three grounds ... and so we checked out early and went elsewhere.

First, the very nice swimming pool had been completely invaded by a brilliant green algae bloom -- top to bottom, end to end. We couldn't go near it and the young woman at the desk agreed that it was "yucky." Second, as others have noted, there is no air conditioning -- just a note on the wall to open the windows and enjoy "natures air conditioning" or something to that effect. Third, we are a bit older and prefer watching TV from a couch, rather than hunched up in a bed, so we pay for suites when they are available. The suite did have a very small second room, and it did have a very small couch, but the only other "furnishings" were a sink and a refrigerator. No TV. So the second room was, essentially, useless and pointless.

On the positive side, although we had reserved for two nights and the cancellation policy requires 72 hours notice, the young woman at the desk understood our dissatisfaction and charged us for only the one night.

With the cleaning of the pool, and addition of air conditioning and a TV, this could be a very pleasant place. The owners have put thought into it -- just not enough.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask if the pool has been cleaned.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple