“Comfort food on a cold rainy night”
Review of House of Pho

House of Pho
Ranked #154 of 383 Restaurants in Hayward
Reviewed 3 December 2019

We came here with friends on a cold rainy night after a movie and it was perfect. Place is a good size and cozy. The prices are reasonable as we ordered #30 Special combo seafood with egg noodle soup (large) for only $10.75 and the portion was hearty with lots of seafood, as well as #38, Grilled pork and eggrolls over vermicelli, #47 Garlic chow mein with grilled shrimp, and wonton noodle soup. I liked my special combo seafood with egg noodle soup and it hit the spot on a cold night and there was alot of seafood in it, like shrimp, fish ball, squid, very tasty. Everyone enjoyed their meal!

Date of visit: December 2019
Write a reviewReviews (4)
Reviewed 13 December 2018 via mobile

Not even close to what I'm used to eat, but an interesting experience. Main dish seems to be pho, a soup with noodles and several kinds of meats that we usually don't eat on American/Brazilian/European cooking, like testicles and tendons. I recommend the visit.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 4 June 2018

Visited here based on reviews and recommendations. It failed to meet the hype. We were seated quickly enough. The hostess tossed a couple menus on a table and very quickly walked away. She finally comes back and my wife tells her we both want a small number one. "Okay, be ready soon". I tell her I'd like to order a taro and pearl but not until we leave, which she doesn't understand and try to explain three times a couple different ways. All to no avail. Five minutes later the drink is delivered to the table. So about five minutes after that one bowl of soup shows up. My wife and I look at each other, wondering if that really just happened. We finally get the attention to the waitress who was sitting at another table with someone, talking, and tell her that was we told her we both wanted a #1, small. So that was two, number 1's, small. So I told the wife to eat and waited about 10 minutes for my soup. It really was not worth the wait. The broth was flat and it had no flavor. The meat was okay but a little tough/chewy. These bowls were a little on the pricey side too. Compare to other eateries in the area and that I've been to this place is on the higher end of the scale. Overall I was generally unimpressed. The service was not very good and the food matched that. Can't say I'd return. Not sure if the place had a name change from Mr. Pho to House of Pho recently. Therein may lie the issue if new management, workers, and recipes are the cause for our poor service and food quality. Among other things. Only time will tell if we return, because the jury is still out.

Date of visit: May 2018