“The perfect 50th Birthday dinner!!”
Review of Bar Idda

Bar Idda
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 August 2017

I have to thank Bar Idda for making my 50th birthday dinner so enjoyable and memorable. I had not been before but had heard good things from friends. I booked the room upstairs for 15 of us. They were really good about me going in the week before with a friend to select the wines and finalize the menu. I'm heading to Sicily with friends for my 50th so it was a bit of a themed event. The service was excellent - they checked about the timing of bringing out the food and as we had the larger $75 menu - they were good about ensuring gaps between courses so we did not get too full. The room upstairs is very sweet and it was so nice to have it to ourselves - very intimate and perfect for such a birthday where I could feel all the love in the room and watch my friends enjoy the food. The food...fantastic just amazing. My friends are all foodies and it was great just watching them eating and talking to one another about the great food. They all had different highlights but I'd have to say mine were - the olives, the carpaccio of tuna and cucumber with almond cream, the gnocchetti wwith confit blue eye, cauliflower cream, mollica, pinenuts & currants (OMG), the swordfish, the meatballs and the lamb - perfect salad to accompany it - then the canolli presented for us stacked with candles - like a fabulous Sicilian birthday treat. the wines were all great and the service was very attentive and understanding. I can't think of a better place to have had this event. But no matter what I'd go for the food - I'll be back!

Reviewed 11 August 2017

We went on a Sunday evening and there were 4 of us. We sat on the ground floor at the front of the shop. Great atmosphere, not too noisy, friendly and informative staff. Food was so yummy!! We shared some antipasto, then enjoyed the slow cooked lamb, beef ragu, Sicilian sausages and a dish of calamari, prawns and grains. Vegetables and salad on the side. Cost around $370 for 4 of us, but in addition to entree and mains we had a bottle of wine, a few beers, dessert and coffee. Highly recommended, we will be back and we will try the tasting menu.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

Bar Idda had been recommended so with 2 friends we decided to try it on a Thursday evening. Each dish was tasty and well presented. We shared all the dishes we chose so that we were able to try as many as possible. Three small dishes, two mains and two desserts filled us with a variety of wonderful flavours. Service could not be faulted. The room is small but cosy and comfortable on a cold night.

Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

Food was nice, I must say that. It was 12 of us and we had the tasting menu. There was plenty and every dish was tasty.

Chairs were touching how close we were and I have for the first time ever eaten with my elbows touching my ribs. Every time I moved I would touch someone or someone would touch me. I cannot explain, it was bizarre!

And I was lucky, those of use wedged between the wall and table had no chance of getting up. If someone would want to go to the toilet, all six would have to get up, go into the corridor, so the person can wheeze out behind the table and then the same when they came back.

Waitresses had no room to put down/take away dishes. Especially not from the other side. We had to constantly lean (because you can't move!!!) left and right as they were having to bend over me as the pitcher guests were passing her the empty dishes.

I sustained a few food stains on my white clothes where I couldn't avoid the 'flying' dirty dishes. Tomato isn't easy to get out of white clothes, in case you ever wondered.

Terribly uncomfortable and the nice food cannot make up for it.

I would not go back.

We were upstairs and there was no room to move and give the that in that tiny room approximately 25 people were squeezed in, it got loud and hot.

2  Thank DijanaD
Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

The place was buzzing on a Thursday night yet service and food was outstanding when nine of us gathered to celebrate Nonna's 90th birthday.
All dishes were as if they were prepared in a trattoria in Palermo or Messina. Delicious!!!