“Getting better and better”

The Black Trumpet Bistro Tapas & Wine Bar
Cuisines: Fusion
Reviewed 27 January 2018 via mobile

We were here 2 years ago during a visit to Southern California and were so impressed that we are ate there twice. When planning this years trip we agreed that we wanted to go there again. The food was amazing again. Tuna tartare, beef carpaccio, truffle fries, Greek hamburger were all fabulous. The only question we had was why don’t we eat there every day.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Every Saturday we enjoy dinner out with another couple we have known for years. To make things interesting we rotate who gets to pick the restaurant each week. This past Saturday was my turn to choose. I have been waiting my turn because I knew that this was the place to try based on having been to Chef Dino's other 2 restaurants in Huntington Beach, CA and loved both of them.
Black Trumpet is the Tapas version of the 3 but you can also order entrees. We mainly focused on the tapas this visit and no one was disappointed. In fact, in the all of years we have been doing Saturday night dinner together, everyone agreed that all of the food was exceptional.

Reviewed 21 July 2017

Make no mistake, this isn't an elegant fine dining establishment. It is a strip mall location tapas restaurant featuring great, delish food and extremely fair prices. I would eat here again in a heartbeat. Terrific find and gave me a night of comparatively affordable food on an otherwise expensive trip out West.
The Tuna Tartare is fantastic, about $12 and compares in quality and taste to Tuna Tartare's that cost $26 at NYC steakhouses. If you like Sushi grade Tuna, do not leave here without having this.
The menu is pretty expansive for Tapas. We liked or loved everything we tried. Don't hesitate if in the area.
No reservations - hit it between 6-7 to avoid a wait.

Reviewed 21 July 2017

While spending our family spring break in Huntington Beach, the wife and I decided to pick a place for date night. The Black Trumpet got very good reviews. We love tapas as well! First of all, the place is very small so make sure to come early. Tables are small so a large group is probably not the best idea. It's located in a small strip mall so parking is limited. When we got there, we got really lucky. There was one table and a parking spot right in front. I would say this is the best date night outing we've ever had (food-wise that is).

Ambiance: Definitely a date night setting. Not for families or small children. It's dim, cozy and def romantic. I don't remember if there was music playing in the background. If there was, it wasn't overpowering. The tables are pretty close together. I wanted to reach out a taste some of the dishes that the table next to us ordered. That's not a good idea I suppose?

Food: Absolutely fantastic. High quality food made prepared perfectly. You can taste and smell the freshness of the ingredients. The chef definitely cares about his/her creations. I loved the seared duck breast, lamb lollipop and truffle fries. Unlike most restaurants, you can actually taste the truffle oil. Best truffle fries I've ever had. I wanted to order everything on the menu but the waitress stopped us. It just means we'll be back.

Service: Water glasses always kept full. Greeted promptly upon arrival. Made great suggestions. Very cordial. Told us to stop ordering. We tend to order too much when we get excited about the menu.

Location: It's located in a strip mall. As you step in, it feels like you've entered a different world. See my take on the ambiance. We got lucky with parking. I read about the scarcity of parking and it's definitely true. It can be tricky finding the place as we almost drove past it as the restaurant exterior is not flashy.

Overall: A must try if you are anywhere within 30 miles. We're coming back during our bi-annual visit to CA.

1  Thank Vi D
Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

Excellent Mediterranean food, lots of choices, great service , good wine.
We came before 6 pm because after that place is packed.
The restaurant emplacement is not the best but the food and ambiance were perfect!
Loved the scallops on a risotto bed. We are talking Taos's. Everything small but good!
Pita breads with green olives and garlic oil were given to us as welcome. Nice touch.
Mediterranean tacos were tasty, served in lettuce instead of tortillas. Yum!
Tiny pizza with fig was delicious!
All good. Highly recommend that place.