“BBQ Visit”
Review of Ray's Bbq

Ray's Bbq
Reviewed 3 April 2017 via mobile

On a business trip from Hungary with some friends from work. We had seen some pics on Facebook of their burrito so I told them I would take them. We arrived about 15 minutes before they closed and found out the mac and cheese was gone so no burritos. Our disappointment was short lived as the owner informed us the brisket and ribs are their claim to fame. So we had a ginormous rib that is only available on Saturday along with a brisket sandwich. Goodness gracious these items were phenomenal!! The meat was so tender it came of the. One so easy and the brisket nearly melted in your mouth! Some beans on the side and an ice cold coke and we were in heaven. My Hungarian friends were very satisfied. Take a trip there it is worth the drive, but they close at 4 PM so get there early!!

Reviewed 10 June 2016

It's hard to describe how tender and flavorful the brisket at Rays. Many here have tried, but somehow the description falls short. The brisket has a really nice peppery crust to it as well, so the taste lingers in your mouth long after the meal. The beans and potato salad were a wonderful complement to the meal and, in fact, can stand on their own. I will add that the owner is very friendly and will walk you through the menu if you're a first-timer. Finally, I'm a big believer in the adage, "you get what you paid for". For barbecue of this quality, you have to expect to pay a little more. However, the portions are generous and you won't feel cheated.

Reviewed 22 November 2015

Just when you thought all food was Mexican in Huntington Park Ray's BBq appears, and has dang nice selections to boot. Authentic smoky Barbeque joint wonderful smells coming out of it. Ribs were sensational, I'll be back for more. ...

Reviewed 30 April 2015

It's funny how things happen sometimes.. On our adventure to go sample some local BBQ today we rolled up to Ray's BBQ in Huntington Park. It was strange that I knew where to pull up, although my girlfriend Caz was directing and saying she thought it was further up. I seemed to know where it was even though I'd only seen a pic of the exterior once online but it must been my Spidey senses kicking in or something.

We managed to score pole position with parking and quickly walked inside after developing quite a hunger with skipping breakfast and all and it being lunch time. Upon walking in I immediately noticed how new and well presented the place was and also how spotlessly clean it was too.

I'd seen Ray post a few pics of his BBQ on a interest page online in early 2014 and watched from there how he'd turned his passion and love for BBQ from humble beginnings, selling Q from his house to now owning a great establishment with many a fan and loyal customers of his awesome BBQ.

I'd never met Ray before in person but the internet is a funny thing and you can see what goes on, even from the other side of the world. As we walked up to the counter to order there was a line and I peered past the staff there to see if I could see Ray. I couldn't recognise anyone to start but as Caz and I did a 360 of the place, looking at pics on the wall of the offerings on the menu we looked back to the counter to see Ray out the back busily helping out in the kitchen and making sure everything was perfect. I didn't want to disturb Ray, so we just went ahead and ordered.

After seeing all the magnificent pics on Instagram too, it was hard to make a choice of what to get but we decided on sharing some brisket, ribs, pulled pork and a hot link. The young lady at the front desk was very friendly, polite and helpful and guided us through our order like a pro and assisted us in choosing our sides for the brisket and made our life easy. I know good customer service when I see it and appreciate the skill and effort that goes into making me happy and my experience a good one.

Now here's the funny bit.. I was having an issue paying with my card, with it being an international card but the young lady took control of the situation and made it all happen. I apologised and mentioned that we were from Australia and had been having issues from place to place with getting my card to work but it was all sorted out in a jiffy without and fuss.

The young lady then pointed us in the direction of the sauces as we went to sit down at our table and she let us know which one was the spicy one and that we could take what we wanted. With sauce in hand we sat down and as Caz and I were chatting I see out the corner of my eye, someone standing next to me and a polite voice say, "Hi, my name is Ray, you wouldn't happen to be David Ong, would you?"

As it turns out Ray had posted a pic online of some gorgeous looking food and I commented that after seeing all the pics, I would be especially visiting his restaurant in April sometime to see if it tastes as good as it looks. I don't know how but Ray remembered my reply to his post and we struck up a conversation straight away about BBQ and our love for it.

After chatting for a while Ray asked what we'd ordered and recommend that we also try the nachos. I have to say that was a fantastic recommendation and that our experience from start to finish was incredible and the food does indeed taste as good as it looks.

The food was impressive with the ribs being beautifully meaty, juicy, flavourful and tender, to the pulled pork which had a joyously unique flavour and the awesome brisket that was so balanced, so simple, so good and matched perfectly with the cole slaw and macaroni cheese.

You can tell Ray is a perfectionist like every good chef and it's reflected in his food. The hot link was beautiful and the nachos were undeniably the best I've ever had bar none and every single dish would have stood alone without the sauce, it was so good but it complimented it every single bite so well.

We washed it all down with the Strawberry Kiwi drink that just hit the spot and one of the best things was that even after all that food, which was a LOT was that we had plenty left over for our drive to Vegas tomorrow and I didn't feel like I needed to go have a nap to ride out a food coma, it all went down so well.

If you've gotten this far to read this, I'm sure you can tell I already love Ray's BBQ. Something that you wouldn't know is that Ray treated every single customer that walked through the door like you were family and it was obvious that he knew many of the regular customers by name and made everyone's experience one that would make you come back. Even if Ray wasn't a genuinely nice guy and even if the service was terrible, of which neither are the case, seriously you'd go just for the joy of the good BBQ and food. Needless to say I'll be travelling all the way from Australia again to catch up with Ray and eat some of his awesome nosh.

Cheers!