“One to avoid”
Review of Country Inn Sonora

Country Inn Sonora
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Jamestown
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

We choose this accommodation as our first stop on a four week road trip to be a reasonable distance from San Francisco Airport, our entry point int the USA, and to give us a good start on our journey east through the mountains and north to Reno.
The cost for one night stay was $120 with no breakfast supplied.
The Inn sits in a nice valley close to the main road and has an impressive stance and gives a good impression on arrival. There is ample parking. We had room on the ground floor(117). The room had all the facilities you would expect a large comfortable bed (though the pillows for our taste were very thin and gave little or no support, fridge, microwave, coffee machine,TV, seating/table area, washing, shower facilities, iron and board etc...all the normal items.
First impressions were of a nice room with a level and standard we expected. However, on closure inspection we noticed a number of things
The carpet especially near the door was badly stained, the a/c was noisy and the flow of water from the shower was very weak.

When making a judgement about a motel/hotel while on holiday we use the level of quality at a Holiday Inn Express as a base standard giving it a value of 10. In the UK we would expect to pay between £60-100 ($75-$125) depending on the location and timing of the visit. With this we can then rate accommodation we use on our trips at, below, or above, 10 based on the individual quality, facilities provided and value for money.
We would rate this Inn on our system as a 5. One point deleted from our average of 10 for each of the following:
Stained carpet
Weak shower
Noisy AC
Poor quality pillows
Overpriced.
In our opinion the Inn is living off its location rather than providing a quality in relation to the price charge. One to avoid.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 August 2017

On the plus side the room had the basics that I needed. On the negative side, the woman at the front desk snapped at me like I was an unruly teenager when I simply asked if I could use the lobby bathroom. I had just driven a long way. She said, "No that bathroom is not for your use," in a patronizing and rude tone. I had just met her and didn't appreciate that. It set the tone for not liking that place and never wanting to go back! Additionally, I wanted to watch a particular show I had been following on CBS and oddly enough their cable didn't have CBS. Lastly, when I opened the side curtain to my corner room, there was garbage all over the little side lawn. It's okay that the lawn was tiny and brown. After all there was a drought. But it wasn't okay that garbage was everywhere. That made me uncomfortable. Most of the other patrons seemed normal and safe. I did not appreciate that a man with no shirt and a bunch of tattoos was just standing outside his hotel door for a long time. It seemed inappropriate. So the hotel gives you the basics that you need but don't expect to be treated nicely by the woman at the front desk. Don't expect it to be neat outside. Bring those expectations waaaay down and you will be fine staying there. As a side note, the young man at the front desk was super nice to me. He went out of his way to give me tips and he did let me use the lobby bathroom.

Room Tip: Request first floor if you do not want to climb a lot of stairs.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

Very displeased with the parking and the front desk guy (probably the owner). Had the room for TWO days; came back from hiking HALF DOME all day just to find no parking near my room. My friends and I were in terrible shape with sore lower body, and we had to climb 3 flights of stairs to get to our rooms. Get locked out of our rooms because they had us for only one day, go up and down stairs to resolve this issue, and they didn't give us toilet paper. Annoyed and will never recommend this place to anyone!!! Thanks for nothing...

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jimmy X
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

We just needed an inexpensive room since it was going to be more than 100 degrees, and none of our friends have A/C.

Rooms were dated and beat up, but the bed was comfortable, and the room had everything we needed (microwave, fridge, A/C, etc).

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2017

The front desk staff were awful. Promised a breakfast and did not have one. Said it was Expedia's fault. Had to roll-away bed for our son, despite charging us an extra 10 dollars a night for bringing him. Manager (female) at front desk was condescending and belligerent when I brought these to her attention. Should not be in this business if they do not have people skills.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Chuck B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamestown
6.5 km away
3 km away
Sonora Inn
Sonora Inn
#4 of 8 in Sonora

Been to Country Inn Sonora? Share your experiences!