“High Desert Hideaway”
Review of Desert Lily

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Joshua Tree
Desert Lily
Ranked #1 of 3 Joshua Tree B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 March 2009

I decided to spend Valentine's Day alone in the Joshua Tree desert. The owners of the Desert Lily welcomed me with open arms and made me feel like part of the family. The location is remote, up a steep dirt road which I found harrowing at first but easily navigatable after one or two drives. The other guests seemed to be mostly older couples, but Carrie reports that she gets quite an eclectic mix of visitors. Carrie's breakfasts are to-die-for, and she makes a world of difference in your stay with small touches, like a flashlight and hiking gear in your room, homemade chocolate chip cookies, unlimited wine, and even chocolates for me on Valentine's Day! I could not recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank sooperpan

Reviewed 5 January 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Desert Lilly in May as part of a California road trip. We loved the place from the moment we arrived the sites and sounds of it's Joshua Tree setting are very different to the UK. Cacti, coyote, humming birds and shining airstream caravans in the distance! We both the little touches that Carrie the owner performed to ensure that we had a pleasant stay. Word of advice, allow an extra 15 mins to savour your breakfast in the morning. It's worth it. We woundn't hesitate in staying should we ever make it back to the Joshua Tree NP.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2009

We really enjoyed our weekend (last weekend before Christmas, after the most snow they'd had for 30 years!) with Carrie at the Desert Lily. It's such a relaxing place, Carrie has thought of everything and the room was well kitted out. You can also make use of the lounge area which is spacious and really lovely, homely without being kitsch in any way, It was also really warm in our room given the snow and freezing temperatures outside. Carrie and her husband Bob are extremely hospitable and we had great chats with them both over breakfast.

Carrie was really helpful over email and on the phone beforehand as we were checking the situation with the weather and she even offered to come and pick us up if our car didn't make it. The only thing I would say is you might need an offroad car to get there as it's along a rough track but it's worth it. We had a nightmare trip from LA in Friday pm traffic but it didn't matter as we stepped out of the car and looked up at the stars, which were amazing and awe inspiring. It almost made it better that we arrived in the dark as the scenery in the morning was spectacular and unexpected.

The park is great, there's lots to see and it's well worth a trip down as far as the catcus garden, which is a bit surreal. The view from Keys View is great and the only time we saw many people.

We went to the Crossroads Cafe in the town of Joshua Tree for a couple of meals which were good, hearty portions and you need to clear up after yourselves but that's all part of the fun. The Ricochet Cafe on the corner is also worth a visit, we couldn't work out if it was a cafe, a social spot, an off-licence or a boot shop! Probably all of these and more. Felt like evidence of a different way of life to me.

We had a fabulous trip to LA overall and I was a little reluctant to leave the sunshine in Santa Monica but couldn't have enjoyed it more at Carrie's, lovely atmosphere and a warm welcome in beautiful surroundings. We highly recommend it - go, relax and enjoy.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2008

You know when you you find a place that is so incredibly perfect that you're tempted to keep it a secret?

That's how I feel about the Desert Lily.

But that wouldn't be fair to Carrie and Bob (the innkeepers)...

My boyfriend and I just came back from Joshua Tree and while the park, desert sky, and scenic views were fantastic, the Desert Lily was, hands down, the highlight of our trip.

We stayed at the bed and breakfast for three nights over Thanksgiving and had the best time. Our room was cozy and filled with thoughtful touches including terrycloth robes, a small hiking pack, and a warm comforter to take out on the hammocks.

I feel so lucky that we decided to stay with Carrie and Bob; they are two of the most interesting and entertaining people I've met in a long time. Carrie's stories and Bob's unwavering enthusiasm will inspire you to get out of your comfort zone and grab life by the horns. If you're lucky, Bob might even accompany you on a gorgeous day hike.

The worst part of our weekend was when we woke up Sunday morning and realized that we had to go home.

I recommend the Desert Lily to anyone who loves great food, humor-filled conversation, and divine hospitality.

I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MamaRails
Reviewed 19 November 2008

We stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed every one of them. The breakfasts were outstanding. The B&B is off by itself and thus it's very quiet at night. Great for star gazing. (there were two large rope hammocks). The road leading up to it is dirt, so if you are renting a car get a high clearance one, or plan on driving in slowly. In fact if you are going to spend a lot of time in the National park, it's probably worth renting a 4x4. You don't need one to get to the B&B (I rented a mustang!... some sales job, they saw me coming.) But the park has, so I've heard, some great 4x4 roads which will take you back into the back & beyond. Even without the 4x4 we had a good 3 days of hiking about in the park. If you rock climb you probably already know about the park. Lots and lots of crack & friction climbing, mostly 2 pitch stuff with all levels from scrambles to bouldering to 5.10+

There are 3 rooms at the B&B, ask for the most outside room for the most privacy, but all 3 are fine. Room was clean, robes & slippers & hair dryer were provided, so leave yours at home and travel light. Bed was firm but not a rock. Shower was nice. There were always fresh Chocolate chip cookies in the common room & hot water electric tea kettle for tea. (and instant coffee.. I won't say more about that.)

On two of the nights Coyotes woke us up for about 5 minutes of chorus of the desert just before dawn. But we left the window open for the fresh air. (screen) There were quail in the front yard one night when we came back from dinner, rabbits visited the bird (& rabbit) bath.

• Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank DoryGuy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Joshua Tree
19.6 km away
Best Western Gardens Hotel at Joshua Tree National Park
Best Western Gardens Hotel at Jo...
#3 of 12 in Twentynine Palms
20.2 km away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Twentynine Palms-Joshua Tree National Park
Fairfield Inn & Suites Twentynin...
#2 of 12 in Twentynine Palms
11.3 km away
Best Western Joshua Tree Hotel & Suites
11.6 km away
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites
24.6 km away
Sunnyvale Garden Suites Hotel - Joshua Tree National Park
Sunnyvale Garden Suites Hotel - ...
#8 of 12 in Twentynine Palms
18 km away
Pioneertown Motel
Pioneertown Motel
#1 of 1 in Pioneertown

Been to Desert Lily? Share your experiences!