Sokha Beach Resort
US$21
US$34
US$31
Good 3.5/5
Don Bosco Hotel School(Sihanoukville)
US$21
US$20
US$63
US$60
The Tamarind(Sihanoukville)
US$22
US$18
1,663 results
All reviewslemongrass restaurantwater chaletdeck restaurantclub suitetuk tukduty managermain poolmain buildingswim up barphnom penhocean viewround bedwhite sandbig hotelfree shuttlerainy seasonsihanouk ville
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

We stayed on Jan 3rd-8th, 2018 in a deluxe room in the ocean wing and weren’t disappointed about paying additionally for an ocean view. Sam checked us in when we arrived early and gave us a room on the second floor. I told her that looking at a bunch of coconut trees isn’t the same as looking at the ocean in spite of seeing a sliver of the beach behind the coconut trees. She apologized and left. Ten minutes later, she called and said that another room is available but not cleaned if we wanted to see if we would prefer it over the current room. We did and went to the pool to enjoy ourselves before moving into the new room several hours later. Room assignment is hit and miss just depending on expectation and availability at time of check in; I truly appreciated Sam’s effort because she didn’t have to do a thing but she realized that I wasn’t happy on day one of five more days and gave me options. Even if I didn’t like the second room more, I would still compliment her customer service acuity. But as it turns out, everything about this hotel is first class. Gym was large and had plenty of equipment. Breakfast buffet had plenty of options including pastries, fruit, omelette station, noodle and soup station, fresh juice bar and coffee upon request. About the only miss was the pool towels and beach chair situation. Because they don’t utilize a towel card system where each guest trades in one card for one towel, there was always a shortage of towels since one guest can take as many towels as he wants. There aren’t enough beach or pool chairs for every guests. Some guests get up by 6:30 AM and throw pool towels over chairs to reserve them with the intention of not using them until hours later. I didn’t have problems because my partner and I run everyday at 5AM so by the time we were done, we could still get the beach chairs we wanted but everyday we saw people coming out after 10AM not getting chairs while there were plenty sitting empty because some selfish person threw a towel over them. One day, I saw chairs claimed but not used for 5 conservative hours and reported to the staff and security and they did nothing. Sokha Beach is the best strip of beach on this side of Sihanoukville with the east end opened to the public while the hotel “owns” the rest of the stretch. I would stay at this hotel again in the future.

2  Thank Greggypooh
Kim I, Front Office Manager at Sokha Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us your insights and the pleasing rating you provided the resort. This valuable feedback will be taken into consideration and is a big assistance in the evaluation to improve of our products and services.

Similarly, we are glad to know that despite the few setbacks, you were still pleased with most of our facilities and services. Thank you for visiting us. We hope to give you a much better experience on your next visit.

kim

Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

We stayed in a lake view room, rooms are very clean and have everything you need.

Free breakfast was great and service was great.

We never got to sit on the beach as there wasn't enough sun beds.

They charge $3 for a small water.
Get the free bus in to town every night and tuc tuc back is maximum $4

The food is very overpriced and your looking at london prices for a bottom of the range service, you pay 3 times the amount than you do in town. For example curry at Sokha $14 in town $4

Happy hour is great and more affordable, reasonable prices the views are beautiful at the beach restaurant but you have to reserve tables before hand, service again is extremely slow.

Food came out stone cold and then took 30 mins for wine and 45mins for new food, again for $100 meal you would expect to not have to go to the bar your self and collect your wine.

It's a nice hotel staff are friendly but under qualified for the money it costs.

Would recommend for luxury room and clean.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank katiehawes1904

Dear Guest,

Thank you for letting us know of your valuable insights on the Resort's restaurant prices. They are all well taken. We'll do our best to make much better and suitable for most guest.

On the lighter side, with high appreciation mentioning that your room at the lakeside was cleaned and equipped. Thanks for recommending us!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 11 January 2018

We moved to this hotel after having wanted a clean beach and the beach is certainly lovely and clean with not many people on it. We asked for a twin but were told on check-in that the hotel was completely full (and not even a spare bed was available that could be rolled in to the room). The double was only going to be for one night and then they would move us to a twin so we agreed. The room wasn't ready so we went to the beautiful beach, had lunch in the Champa cafe (no mozzarella panini available - and never was available the whole stay) and went back later to get our room. They had managed to find us a twin so we were very happy.

The little buggies transported us to our rooms which were in 'Lakeside' although we weren't anywhere near a lake. The room was beautiful - great aircon, lovely big bathroom, comfy beds, huge TV etc. We were told that breakfast was not in the main part of the hotel but in a restaurant opposite next to the other pool so not far to walk at all. The first night we ate at the tapas bar which served delicious prawns and not quite so delicious fresh spring rolls. The service here was quite slow and a bit disorganised but it's right next to the beach so great location. Breakfast was great - loads of choice, an egg station etc. Attentive, friendly staff.

The beach really is the best bit about this hotel although you need to be on it around 8am to get a good bed (everyone seems to reserve their spot before breakfast which we never felt comfortable doing ourselves so we just preferred to get there early). It's a shame that there are no staff walking along the beach taking food and drinks orders. I think the hotel are missing an opportunity to make some more money here - we'd have definitely ordered more drinks and possibly more food if we hadn't had to walk to the restaurant/bar area.

There is still some development going on at the hotel but we were far enough away not to notice it. What we DID notice was the total absence of guests, especially considering the size of the place and the fact they told us they were completely full. It was really really quiet.

We had problems with room keys most days (even though we kept them away from our phones) and they could really do with a 'key station' or small reception area in this part of the hotel to fix problems like this more efficiently. On the last morning, the breakfast area had mysteriously closed without warning so we had to traipse up to the main part of the hotel to have breakfast there (which was a much nicer breakfast I have to say). Not sure why we weren't informed beforehand?!

The hotel is pricey and the service is definitely not 4 star but I think this is more down to lack of training and management rather than lack of will. They are certainly all charming and super-friendly. If I was to come back Sihanoukville (which I have no intention of ever doing due to all the Chinese casinos and high-rise hotels being built) I would stay at this hotel because of the beach.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nikki H

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very well-thought review on Sokha Beach Resort, Sihanoukville! Thank you for letting us know the good points and matters that we need to concentrate into further.

Rest assured that the Management is taking appropriate actions to improve its amenities and facilities. We have called the attention of appropriate Departments to correct the concerns and to put more details to it.

We look forward to having you again with a great mission to provide you a much better experience on your next visit.

Regards,

Reviewed 9 January 2018

We have just spent a week in a club suite in the main part of the hotel. My advice to anyone would be before booking this hotel is to read the reviews and do some research.

We are well travelled and have stayed in many resorts of varying categories. This is not a five star hotel and if you are expecting five star service and facilities you will be disappointed. Having said that, if you do your research you will know what to expect.

It was part of a special anniversary trip for us. After reading the bad reviews, I was concerned about the construction so I emailed the hotel. They assured me we would be away from the sight and sound of the building work and true to their word we were. So my advice would be to communicate with the hotel so that they know your requests.

Rooms- the club suite is spacious. However the furniture is dated and there is not much storage space if you are there for more than a couple of nights. The hairdryer was useless- luckily I brought my own. The bathroom is a good size with the usual complimentary toiletries. Tea and coffee is provided and two small complimentary bottles of water each day. I got a jug of fresh milk from the bar for our tea and coffee. The walls are very thin. We were constantly woken by people banging doors, moving patio furniture, shouting outside in the corridor and even just walking across their floors. Cleaning of the room was adequate but not twice daily as advertised.

Pool and beach- if you want to be on the beach you must have your towels on the beds before 7am or you will miss out! Seriously. We didn't use the pool nearest reception but found the pool by the lakeside rooms was peaceful and could always get a bed there. Three days out of 7 we had to wait for towels as they had all gone by the time we got to the beach. A tip would be take fresh ones when you drop your dirty ones then at least you have them if you are going out for the day the next morning. The islands are well worth visiting. Food and drink on the beach and round the pool are ok.

Breakfast- really big choice for all nationalities. Egg station and waffles/pancakes particularly good. Only complaint is tea and coffee not great unless you choose to pay. It was very busy but that was to be expected due to the time of year and size of hotel.

Lemongrass restaurant/the Deck - one and the same, just two different menus which you can mix and match. Only ate here once. The food was ok but no atmosphere.

Staff- I feel that the staff here are demoralised. They seem to be treated in varying ways by different guests. If you are polite and friendly towards them they are polite and friendly back. It doesn't hurt to tip them too as they work very hard.

Construction- there is a bit of construction near the main hotel where they are finishing off the new chalets. There is massive, noisy construction going on by lemongrass restaurant. There is a huge building going up next to the hotel at the lemongrass end. We just avoided it. It is there and if you book this hotel you must be aware of it.

We made the most of our time here. We wouldn't go again. If we were back this way ever again we would stay either at Otres 2 or on the islands.

3  Thank tripjunkieLondon
Kim I, Front Office Manager at Sokha Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us.
Rest assured that we will seriously look into each point you raised and shall endeavor to find ways to improve where needed. On the other hand, thank you for mentioning good selection of breakfast and spacious Club suite.

It was our great pleasure to showcased our resort to you. Though is not perfect, it was already an honor to be visited by a well-traveled guest like you. We wish you a great New Year!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

We have been here for the last six nights and each morning rudely awakened by other guests (Chinese I think) in the lobby's talking very loudly from 6.30 am onwards but this morning was crazy first we were woken by the noisy guests then by a member of staff attempting to clean our room yes at 6.40 am!!! Despite the fact that we have the do not disturb light on. Then as we are dozing off a member of staff again trying to get into our room and a third time at 7.25 resulting in an angry me making a call to duty manager we leave here today but check out is at 12 so I'm not sure why housekeeping are trying to get in to clean from 6.40am!!

3  Thank monkeyhols

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us.

We are sorry to know about some issues you have experienced while staying at the resort. Rest assured that we are looking into each point you raised and shall endeavor to find ways to improve where needed.

We look forward to your return in the near future.