Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Trip.com
StayForLong
ZenHotels.com
Lol.travel
All reviews private onsen luxury ryokan japanese suite kaiseki dinner dining area onsen water soy sauce open air onsen hot springs type room two nights western beds seafood dw meals hokkaido bath
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 February 2020 via mobile

Takinoya gets it right on every level. Unassuming from the outside, the inside is a perfect mix of contemporary understated luxury. The doorman greets you, takes your bags, and radios ahead to the front desk, where you're greeted by name.

A brief overview of the facilities includes guidelines about the public bathing facilities, along with the correct protocol for using them. Unfortunately a number of guests (not from Japan, but another country in Asia) completely ignored the rules, entering the baths without washing themselves, using mobile phones to play games and watch videos in the relaxation areas, etc. Perhaps the hotel should consider monitoring the area more closely.

We booked a Japanese DW suite that included a private outdoor hot spring bath looking out onto the snow covered gardens, which was magical. We also made use of the public baths, which included both indoor and outdoor examples, with varying temperatures and mineral content.

Dinner and breakfast are included in the room rate. Guests who book suites take their meals in their private dining room, and the food was superb, both in presentation and taste. We lost track of how many small portions we ate, but it was between 15 and 20.

We spent all our time in the suite but there is a large living room with a fireplace and a bar on the ground floor open to all guests.

Takinoya is a superb choice in Noboribetsu Onsen.

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank BRSflyer
Reviewed 13 January 2020 via mobile

Extremely expensive but pretty worth it. I stayed in a room with my own private Onsen and it was the highlight of my trip in Hokkaido. I was able to see deer and raccoons from my Onsen as it overlooks the mountain. The food is amazing but for me the food wasn’t enough. Overall a great place to stay in if you have a big budget

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank kaihang64
Reviewed 30 November 2019 via mobile

It is a high quality stay, right from Onsen, Kaiseki dinner, interior decoration of the bedroom and lounge, the garden, and even the lift is laid with tatami! There are only 30 guest rooms so it’s quiet and I don’t see any kids running around.

I truly enjoyed the Onsen which looks milky white as if I was soaking in Hokkaido milk! The open air Onsen on the top floor was awesome! I had the whole pool by myself when I went near midnight.

The staff are attentive and friendly. Metsugi was the made-in-Hokkaido young chap who speaks fluent English and professionally run through each item of our Kaiseki dinner in great details, that helped us to appreciate the ingredients and the preparation of the 2.5hrs dinner in the cozy private room.

I’ll highly recommend a one night stay in Takinoya if you have the budget. You will not regret it. The location is strategic and accessible via train/bus but we decided to drive for the flexibility of covering the area.

I am super impressed by Takinoya!

Date of stay: November 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank GillianSG
Reviewed 5 August 2019

Our stay at Takinoya was wonderfully peaceful and tranquil. As soon as you step in, you know you’re in a special place. It’s one of the most beautiful ryokans I’ve ever seen. The place is absolutely gorgeous. Our room (and really, the entire place) is meticulously designed. Every detail is considered. Our room was beautiful, spacious, incredibly comfortable, and filled with thoughtful amenities. It was really very lovely and serene.

The en-suite private onsen is absolutely amazing. The smell of the sulfur from the water enriches the experience, really reminding you that you are in Noboribetsu. The view from the onsen and balcony overlooking the garden is also incredible. I could look at that view all day. (Note that not all room types have a private onsen. Most rooms just have hot tubs, so if this important to you, be sure to book the appropriate room. You can find this info on their website, in the “Fact Sheet” section.)

Service is also great, as to be expected from a place of this caliber. Everybody was courteous, professional, and accommodating. We arrived in the morning, way before check-in time, and they warmly greeted us and stored our luggage as we went to visit the nearby Jigokudani (Hell Valley) until it was check-in time.

It’s not a bargain stay by any means, but I think it’s well worth it. It’s not an experience you can get just anywhere else. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Date of stay: July 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank teeism
Reviewed 18 June 2019

We stayed for a night with my sis, mum and two 2 yr old boys. The room is big enough to fit all of us comfortable and the hotel has a lovely garden and our room had a great view. Really enjoyed the outdoor and indoor hot springs.

Now onto the things I didnt feel like I got my value:
1) The food, we had dinner and breakfast but definitely had much better kaiseki elsewhere... the food wasnt fantastic... the kids meal which was 3500yen was really poor, it was fried chicken with wedges (having said that, one of the children is allergic to seafood but I do feel there is much more that can be done with chicken than just frying)
2) The private hot spring tub is just a bath tub, the water that runs in is not the hot spring water
3) The service - the man at the reception (around 50-60yrs old) was not very children friendly, one boy accidently went up one step with shoes, he just wore his shoes to go out but as little kids are, they will run towards their parents which was still on the no shoes zone... the man was quite rude and told the boy to immediately get back down. I found that a bit too much, honestly he didnt run around, just took one step up! If you welcome kids then u pretty much have to expect these things to happen?
4) check out - we checked out, and we left on our own, not much help with luggage or waved us good bye...

All above points are ok if i am paying USD300 a night... I am now paying USD1500 a night! seriously i expected a lot more! i also had much much better experience paying much less elsewhere!

Date of stay: June 2019