“French take on La Jolla”
Review of Tapenade Restaurant - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pearl Street and Kline Street
Transit: Torrey Pines Road at Virginia Way
Reviewed 7 November 2014

Tapenade can be one of the best meals in La Jolla. They have also had off nights. The indoor atmosphere is quiet and serene, nice for a restaurant where one can actually talk to one's partner! The wines are excellent, the food classic, the service very good. Having said that, my favorite visits to Tapenade were during the summer's jazz nights. Tapenade will be moving to Girard Ave. in the near future. I hope they don't stop the outdoor jazz dinners. They are stellar!

Sylvie D, Owner at Tapenade Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2014

Dear Madame,

Thank you for visiting Tapenade and taking the time to let us know how you liked your visit. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed it. Please let us know when you visit again.

Kind regards,

Jean-Michel Diot

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Came here to celebrate my son's 21st birthday. My son was driving back from out-of-town just for this dinner celebration but was running late due traffic so I had to delay the reservation for an hour. They easily agreed. When we got there then I realized why they agreed so easily. There was hardly anyone there. The reason? Perhaps it's because the food is not good especially given the price. The worst example would be the monk fish. The first time I had monk fish was over 25 years ago in a small town in Illinois when my boss took our department out to lunch. It was fantastic simply grilled and served with drawn butter. Monk's nickname is 'the poor man's lobster.' It was moist and delicious. I've had monk fish many times since then at many restaurants and enjoyed them. The preparation here at Tapenade did not make sense. The monk fish was cut thinly and stuffed and rolled and then sauteed. Both my mother and husband ordered the monk fish dish and they were both overcooked and did not taste fresh. The other entrees were not impressive either. Will not go back.

1  Thank W2SH
Sylvie D, Owner at Tapenade Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a satisfying experience during your visit last April. We no longer propose monkfish on our menu and we currently feature the fish of the day that is halibut, or sea bass. Regarding the clientele attendance of the restaurant like any business we have fluctuations and can have very busy shifts of slow ones, having no connection to quality. Please let me know if you decide to join us again for a lunch or for a dinner. Jean-Michel Diot.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We have tried this restaurant on a couple occasions and found it mediocre at best. The decor lacks charm. The menu is sparse and on the night we were there the dish we wanted was not available. The kitchen, we feel, produces dishes that are nothing special and the service is spotty and not particularly friendly. There are better places in San Diego for fine French food.

Established since 1998 we have served many customers who had pleasant experiences and we are sorry that you did not enjoy your experiences with us. Jean-Michel Diot.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Finally decided to try this place when a colleague was in town. What a fantastic meal. Everything about the place was stunning. We had an all-seafood menu and it was superb. The suggested wine pairings and dessert were perfect. Portions were very generously sized.The interior is so tasteful, and QUIET - hard to find in a restaurant these days. The wait staff was welcoming and warm. Tapenade - definitely on my "favorites" list!

1  Thank hollyberry57

Thank you for your positive review, we're delighted to hear from you, hope to see you soon!
Jean-Michel Diot

Reviewed 13 June 2014

At a friend's recommendation, my daughter and I recently had dinner at Tapenade. Our meal was very good, our service was capable and attentive, the atmosphere was fine although not distinctive. We ordered more than we should have because everything was delicious. The amuse bouche was the exception, but we will definitely return.

Try the mushroom ravioli appetizer, but beware it is rich and filling!

1  Thank CitasDash

Glad you enjoyed our mushroom ravioli, it's one of our signature dishes. Keep in mind that we have a bistro menu available for happy hour every night starting at 5:30. Hope to see you there :)
Jean-Michel Diot.