See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 July 2018 via mobile

I recently ventured to San Diego for a week. Some friends were to put us up but as the saying goes, "the best laid plans..." So, we ended up asking for three nights at Lodge of La Mesa through Expedia.

Checking in I let the gentleman know it may be more nights or it may be less. He was the only real in the flesh employee I saw by the way.

The next morning we discovered we could stay with our friends. We checked out between 10:30 and 11AM. (Checkout was 11.) There was no living person in the foyer. There were signs on the desk what to do. Drop the keys in the box. If necessary, use the phone on the desk to speak with the manager.

I dialed and got a machine. I let them know I was checking out and would not need the next two nights. I followed their guidelines and let them know before 4PM of a cancellation.

I expected a reimbursement along with the deposit they held. The deposit came through but no room reimbursement. I called to speak to the manager and got his voicemail each of the four times until his box was full and I could no longer leave a message. I also called the desk 3 times and got a person on the third try who indicated through tone of voice and speech that I was stupid and needed to call Expedia.

Expedia took about a week, keeping me posted at each step but denied the refund because I did not follow the guidelines. They took the word of the Lodge, who stalled them with a series of excuses, over my word.

I do not have any complaint about the rooms ( although the dusty and dry, empty pool area was no plus) but certainly the words customer satisfaction have no meaning to whomever runs the Lodge of La Mesa, if indeed you ever see, meet, interact with any live human being. I let them know I was unhappy and would be letting others know about it.

A rating of two is a gift for the two nights refund they stole from me.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2018

Coming from Las Vegas. Booked a room in this Hotel. It was a rush thing, I have attend my cousins funeral. So drove there after getting off from working grave shift. Got there a little early so The Guy cannot check me in. And I have to pay $25 for early check in, wasn't willing to pay that so I waited.
I went back in to check in when it was time, The same guy from earlier took my ID and debit card to process me in. I was reading all the rules and policies that they have on the counter. There's One particular policy that I wanted to clarify. "No guests allowed" SO I asked, if it's okay if my two sisters would come and get me to go to our cousins funeral later on, are they allowed to come in? He said bluntly NO. Ok, I said. Then I asked, even if they'll just wait down here at the lobby? He said No!. Okay, so I said, "Well that's odd. I'm sorry I'm from Las Vegas, so I'm totally a custom to a different policy when it comes to guests" I left it there, and thought that it was the end of the conversation. But then he handed me my card and ID back. I asked Can I get my room key please? and he said I'm not checking you in. I was really in shocked. Couldn't think of a good reason why wouldn't he check me in. I asked and he said well, first you wouldn't abide to the policy of the hotel and you'd be bringing "YOUR PEOPLE" (I'm asian) in here, and we can't allow that. I said what "people?" and what policy have I broken? I asked you a question, that was a legitimate question Sir. Why are you holding that against me and assuming that I would break your policy? If you're too worried about it , There's camera in the lobby, if you see me bring people in then ask me to leave. Simple, But to refuse to check me in for accusing me for something I didn't do, that's absurd.
it went on and I just didn't have time to argue anymore, I couldn't win. It was my words against mine. After this experience I wrote to BBB, complained, went back and forth, then got the final conclusion. They told BBB that Me and my "PEOPLE" ganged up on him and was rude and hysterical and would not abide to the rules and regulations of the property. I was furious when I get that email from BBB. They closed the case and I was left with nothing but to get accused TWICE from something that I did not do. I wrote BBB back and said "They have cameras everywhere, and there was a witness when this was all happening. We can review the camera and we can find out who's lying" I was falsely accused. For them to lie about that incident really says a lot about this company. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2018

Comfy bed, place seem ok when we arrived. Noticed a few ants around and on the toilet....livable. Woke up and showered and noticed blood spatter on the wall next to the sink. I tried wiping it off and yes it came off....definitely blood! As I yell to my husband how gross!!!! He adds that he can top the blood....found a huge cockroach next to his shoes! We have never packed so fast! We didn't dare to eat here.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

This hotel is very clean, and generally quiet. You may only check-in after 4 pm. Your room key card is your entry into the hotel once you're checked in. The people manning the front desk are fine, but don't expect expert service: they check you in and accept mainly credit cards for paymemt. The place grows on you. Rather barebones, but they do give you soap, shampoo, breakfast, etc. As a good hotel to sleep in, for less money than just about any place else, this is the place to try. A couple of good restaurants and a Von's Grocery store within walking distance.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Horrific customer service. The room was filthy and disgusting; smelled of heavy cigarette smoke, mold. When complained to the from desk, they told me to leave and threatened to call the police. Don't waste your money or time dealing with these ignorant folks. The place is a dump; needs a thorough cleaning, and new management.

Room Tip: Better to not stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo