“Texan food in California”

Armadillo Willy's BBQ
Ranked #7 of 96 Restaurants in Los Altos
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed 19 January 2016 via mobile

This place is amazing, when you came in you can fell the smoke smell, and you can see a bunch of beers and large menu based on BBQ options.

Try the brisket, is amazing and also the ribs are really special, fully flavored and smoked to perfection, have a seat and enjoy this amazing food

Reviewed 6 November 2015

This rustic self service restaurant has several dining areas, lots of meat and side options and a little something for everyone.

Reviewed 5 November 2015 via mobile

This one of the few not-to-be-missed restaurants in Los Altos. It would s not a good match for vegetarians or vegans. But for the rest of the world, it is good for families, professional groups, not-so-intimate dates. The atmosphere is casual and clean. The noise level is just high enough to make important conversations difficult - but that's because everyone is talking and having a good time.

We have eaten at this restaurant, well, for decades now. And we keep coming back. Frequently. It is one of our very favorites. The food is all so fresh and tastie. We've never had anything we didn't love.

Their BBQ meat is out of this world. Any type you might like - it is all good. You smell it as you walk into the restaurant. They offer large and small size portions. And hot as well as mild BBQ sauce. I recommend the large portion because if you don't finish it in the first sitting it makes for wonderful leftovers.

The sides that you can choose from are good. I'm not a big fan of cold slaw, but I really enjoy their Peanut Slaw. We love their corn muffins. They come with honey butter and are to-die-for. (But don't leave them for the next day, they just don't last well). Our favorite side dish of all is their onion rings. No one in the Bay Area can beat them. The onions are still alive and crunchy inside and the batter is a perfect golden brown that enhances the onion. They arrive piping hot.

We've had many hamburgers here as well. They are generously sized without being oversized. They provide you with very fresh lettuce, tomato, pickle and onion. The dressings need to be added. (They don't assume what you want, which is actually quite nice). They offer lots of combinations and extras that can be added. Our favorite, blue cheese and bacon.

Their sourdough BBQ turkey sandwich is very nice. The meat is tasty. The bread is nicely toasted. I think it comes with slices of avocado. I always ask for some bacon to be added. Their bacon, like all their BBQ'd meat is nummy.

They make a mean margarita and they have a fair variety of soft drinks.

Everyone we have ever taken to the "Willy's" in Los Altos has loved it. We have used their catering for a large family gathering (the chicken is very good). We get take out here frequently because it is reliably tasty and fresh

Reviewed 5 October 2015

Great ribs, great chicken. I really like the sides -- my favorites being the BBQ baked beans and the peanut cole slaw. Be careful, the portions are large.

Reviewed 16 September 2015

The food was just OK and, in most cases, not reasonably priced. For example, three ribs (and a side) cost $11 - and they were just "OK." My chicken salad had too little chicken so I sent it back. The staff told me they only put 3 oz of chicken on the salad. To their credit, they brought me out more. Nice touch.
The pork sandwich was good - just wish they gave you more fries.
IF you go - take advantage of the promotions, 1/2 price burger Saturdays, dinner before 6 pm, etc. You get a better value and willing to put up with good (but not great) food.