“Rude front desk”

Garden Suites Hotel & Resort
Ranked #193 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 3 October 2017

I review for TripAdvisor because I always check this website first before I book a hotel. And it has guided me well. I felt I should give back to TripAdvisor by contributing to it.

Up to this point, every single hotel or place I have reviewed has been favorable and I write with gratitude for services that I received and experiences I enjoyed. But this time, I'd have to give the Garden Suite hotel a below average rating.
At 10:30pm on 9/30/2017 I opened up the bed covers to turn in and found several pieces of hair inside the sheets. This is actually the first experience ever at any hotel. I was too tired to call front desk so I used a tissue paper and picked up all the hair myself. The bed smelled a little funny as if someone had slept in it.
What was most annoying is I spoke to a young lady at the front desk the next morning at around 7am about the hair situation. Without an apology whatsoever, she started lecturing me : "This is not unusual, and why such a big deal? Maybe the cleaning lady's hair fell into the bed and its not uncommon." This lady could certainly use some training on how to speak politely to hotel guests especially one with a complaint. When people act like that at the front desk, you are basically telling guests they don't matter.
But the hotel has some good points. The young man who checked me in the night before was polite and very accommodating. There is a small areas good enough to be called a mini business center. There is also a quaint coffee shop that opens at 7am and serves a delicious Korean breakfast in addition to western style breakfast.
So if you ever check into this hotel, open the bed cover first and don't wait till 10:30pm to do so and ask to speak to the manager, skip the front desk.

Room Tip: check room first and open the bed covers to make sure its clean.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank julie t

Reviewed 30 May 2017

I won tickets to a concert at the Wiltern Theatre and we decided to make a weekend of it. We went to the Petersen Automotive museum and even the Farmer's Market and it was just a few minutes down Wilshire to our hotel. We upgraded to the larger king room and for the price difference, it was way nice than our friends. For dinner we hit Taylor's Steakhouse -- a great find within walking distance. Walked back to the Wiltern which was just across from the hotel. Next day we went to La Brea Tar Pits -- just a few minutes back down Wilshire. Great weekend and the hotel was clean, nice and a great price in such a fun location!

Room Tip: Get the larger king room.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

I would stay here again if necessary! The staff was super friendly and bilingual(Korean/English). Which is important for my parents who stay there whenever they go to Koreatown Los Angeles. The only downside (not too big of deal) is the claustrophobic parking lot which is in a garage like structure directly under the hotel. It's a little awkward trying to get in and out of it. If you're entering the parking area it slopes an very low incline, Id imagine if you had a ricer, you'd probably scrape up your s*** pretty bad.

But overall the hotel is great, great staff, very clean rooms, hot showers, and very clean&comfortable beds!

Stayed: October 2016
Reviewed 5 January 2017 via mobile

I cannot understand the bad references here...
We had a nice and warm welcome - rooms were very clean and partly renovated.
Parking for free in garage and just 15km from the airport - on top very cheap - what do you need more after a US roadtrip?

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Marco I
Reviewed 14 November 2016

First, a reminder, check with the hotel site for the best rate, just in case. They may still have the best rate available, but not on travel sites. In any case, this hotel is our go to place when we have meetings mid-town. It is just good lodging, safe, clean, and free parking. The staff is friendly. I don't like the 11 am checkout, but that's just the way it is. Also be prepared for rooms too small for the beds... the rooms are nice, but a single king will be all bed. Good TVs with DirectTV. McDonalds next door. Lots of Korean food nearby. Limited restaurant in house, funky bar in lobby.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business