“Good But Not as Great as Expected”
Review of Providence

Providence
Reserve with OpenTable
Providence is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 10,251 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Hollywood
Cross street: Wilcox & Cole
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Having heard that is was the second best restaurant in LA, I am afraid that I was somewhat disappointed. The food was good and so was the service, but not anything superlative. We all ordered fish or seafood, and everyone was satisfied with their food, but definitely not wowed! Perhaps you have to get the tasting menu. . . .

1  Thank NewYorkRona

Reviewed 6 February 2012

My husband and I had a weekend getaway in Los Angeles and decided to try Providence for the first time based upon reviews here and from our many friends who live in the city. The restaurant was, indeed, impressive, and we found the food and service to be excellent. The design was lightly chic and minimalist, but comfortable. Dress ranged from gentleman in jackets (but rarely ties, except for my husband and 1 other we saw) to jeans and nice shirts as I was dressed. Women were a little better dressed as is common in Los Angeles! We chose Providence partly for its reputation as being a bit more casual than some of the other fine dining options, something that we very much appreciate but that might surprise visitors from other parts of the country and abroad who are not as accustomed to casual California.

We tried to 5 course pre-fixe with wine pairings and found every course to be absolutely delicious with the sole exception of the first sashimi course. We found that to be a bit bland. Every subsequent course, however, was cooked to perfection and was fantastic. Service was spot on, friendly and efficient, though once or twice I did wait for a water re-fill and several times they failed to clear our previous wine glasses after it became obvious we were not finishing them.

Overall, we really enjoyed the dinner. Our only significant criticism is for the wine pairing selections. We did not think that most of the pairings were as good as they should have been. A German wine (varietal I can't even remember) was very well paired with the (bland) sashimi first course, but we had a couple of other wines (another German and a chardonnay) that didn't quite sit as well with their matched course, in our estimation. The penultimate red matched well against their delicious veal course, but the final dessert wine was too sweet for us when paired against the chocolate mousse dessert. We might consider bringing our own wines or perhaps ask the wine director to review the choices in the near future.

All in all, we had a fabulous dinner--and a VERY well priced dinner, as well. We expected the bill to be above $500 for a place of this quality but were very impressed that it came to only $175 per person. I realize that's not cheap for most people, but at a Michelin 2 star restaurant with a 5 course pre-fixe including wine pairings, we found that to be more than reasonable. We will certainly return!

1  Thank Bill R
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We first went to Providence back in 2008 and it has been our favourite restauarant ever since. The tasting menu was extremely good. While on another holiday in West Hollywood, we decided to go back for another meal. At first, we were concerned that it might not be as good as our memories. However, it was possible even better the second time around.

The food is pricey but fantastic. However, the service was excellent and unpretentious. The staff are friendly without being over-bearing. The staff at this restaurant are a major asset for Providence.

The cheese platter is a highlight, and the serving was generous. The food and wines were perfectly matched for my tastes. The Sea Urchin was one of my favourite dishes.

Overall, a great restaurant that I would recommend if you are visiting Los Angeles/Hollywood.

1  Thank TheWasabiPea
Reviewed 27 January 2012

if you have the change to go there - just do it
a place to celebrate a special evening
that's a really stylish restaurant with a great atmosphere
the food is incredible amazing, try the nougat dessert
the wine selection is hugh

Reviewed 24 January 2012

It's an amazing culinary experience. Had a 9 course menu. Tasting it, you realize that cooking is an art.

2  Thank Isdrabkin