“On its way back”

The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
Ranked #55 of 358 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 May 2011

I have a unique persepctive on this hotel because I stayed here 20 years ago with a buddy on a post college vacation, and returned with my family and two teenage sons. The hotel is going through significant renovations in the lobby, which as usual they dont tell you when booking so that always sucks. But the hotel itself hasnt changed much since I last was here so the renovation is welcome. The value is there as I got a great rate and was able to book two rooms for what a normal hotel would have charged for one room.
The pool on the 4th floor roof was clean and very warm which was ice because it was chilly out.
My room had been recently renovated so it was clean, new and nicely decorated..although it was small and didnt have a dresser so you sort of have to live out of your suitcase.
It all depends what you want from a hotel. For me its a place to be when im not out doing whatever...it is downtown which is not the most exciting area but if you are visiting CA and planning on going to a lot of different areas, it is pretty central and within walking distance to LA Live area.
I have to agree that valet was not the fastest.
For me everyone was very nice at the hotel...no issues there.

I think it all depends what you ant fro

Room Tip: Ask and you shall recieve
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,981)

Reviewed 26 April 2011

It's a nice hotel with comfortable beds. Unfortunately, the reception desk had rude staff. There were some questionable charges on my bill that I received attitude about for questioning. For an upscale place I expect warmer service. The valet parking was also incredibly slow, about a 20 minute wait. There are better places to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I'm going to start with the bad and end with the good. As other reviews have said, this hotel is showing its age. The room I stayed in had been fully renovated, as had the floor it was located on. However, I visited some other floors, and the hallways had not yet been renovated. I didn't get to look inside the rooms on those floors. I don't know if they were putting guests in those rooms/floors or not. However, even the renovated floors did not get their doors replaced. This may seem odd, and it is certainly nit-picky, but the doors into the rooms are very narrow, and seem to have just been painted over, rather than being replaced. Once inside my room, the doors were the only visible (and rather ugly) clue that the rest of the hotel was not as nice and modern as my renovated room was. The main age-related problem is the lobby and the 5 floors above it, which they call the "Bonaventure Galleria and Food Court." During my visit, the lobby was visibly improved from recent renovations, and even more extensive improvements were still under construction. The Galleria was not getting any such special treatment at this time. As such, it just looked tired, and I found myself avoiding those floors as best I could. They were downright depressing!

Anyway, my room was very nice. I had a normal room with a king-sized bed. It was large enough for me, and 2 would probably have been comfortable. However, unless the rooms with 2 double beds have more square footage, then I would imagine they would feel small. The recent renovations to the rooms produced an outstanding result, especially the bathrooms. My room felt comfortable, modern, and inviting. The views out the window were also great. Breakfast is, of course, not included, room service is outrageously expensive, and WiFi costs $13 a day. This pretty much seems to be expected of hotels in downtown LA. I will note that the in-room coffee maker includes complementary Starbucks coffee and Tazo teas. The housekeeping also provides 2 complementary bottles of water each day, though I found the tap water quite drinkable when those were empty.

The service at this hotel was excellent. I never made any kind of hard-to-fulfill request, but everything I did ask about or request was answered well. The concierge and staff helped me find my way around LA, and housekeeping provided impeccable service. I used the laundry service as well. Ordinarily I wouldn't pay such high prices ($12.50 to wash and press 1 pair of men's jeans!) but I happened to really need the service, so it was nice to have. I simply hit the "Service Express" button on my phone, said I had laundry, and within minutes the staff were at my door to take the laundry bag. (A nice touch of Service Express is that they always address you by name every time you call.) The jeans were hanging in my closet when I returned to my room the next day. Though it does not excuse the exorbitant price, I was impressed by the impeccable service.

The galleria area has several fast and fast-casual restaurants. Avoid them all as much as possible. (The Subway is OK if you must. I did not try the restaurants on the roof, which I'm sure are much nicer and way more expensive.) Across the street, there is an entrance to the underground "505 Flower" shopping center. There are TONS of good choices down there for inexpensive food, and you hardly have to leave the hotel to get to them. Try the cupcakes at the "Lemonade" restaurant!

Overall, this is a very good hotel. The rooms look great, and I could tell that the nearly-complete lobby renovations were going to be superb as well. Though an online special, I paid $113/night (tax included in that price) for my room. I don't think you could find a similar hotel with a better price than that, so I consider it to be a very fair price for what I received. Do be warned if you are a light sleeper or easily disturbed- I could hear my neighbors talking (and they weren't even yelling) through the wall, and even on the 26th floor traffic was very audible. It did not affect my sleep or comfort one iota, but I know I sleep quite heavily. I would recommend this hotel, but because of the depressing style of the galleria area (which isn't avoidable) the Bonaventure isn't at the same level as Westin's other high-end properties.

Room Tip: Ask for the 26th floor. Rooms there are great.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Be aware that the hotel is going through renovations. The lobby bar is totally shut down and the parking garage was closed due to construction. Had to valet park and took at least 20 minutes to get car back when needed. Room on the small side and walls are thin. Heard couples entire conversation at 1:00a.m. Also, even though room was on 27th floor could hear sirens and traffic throughout the night. Location is great and so are the employees. If you can get a good deal stay here but I wouldn't pay full price.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Recently stayed for one night at the Westin Bonaventure. I got a great rate for a Westin so was excited about this, but then upon checking in saw that all of the lobby was under renovation and the entire property seems pretty outdated. The room itself was clean and relatively updated (more so than the rest of the property), but there was a nail/staple sticking up from the where the carpet ended going into the bathroom that gave my foot a nice little cut. They do allow small pets, which is nice because they don't seem like they should be a pet-friendly hotel, and my girlfriend brought her pug for the night with us which was helpful for our one night stay.

The lobby was loud due to the renovation, but the room was surprisingly quiet and we both got a great night's sleep. I can't imagine the work they are doing in the lobby is going to make a huge difference because the structure itself is just so old, but if you need to be located downtown then the location is great.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends