“Awesome”

Ranked #88 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Manly, Australia
“Awesome”
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We stayed here back in June and this hotel - and the whole Venice experience - has stuck with me. Straight off the bat the staff were welcoming and made us laugh. There was a problem with the room we had booked so they upgraded us to a partial ocean view. The room itself was awesome, no it's not your shiny, bleached and disenfected hotel room but that's what makes this place so special. The location is unbeatable and although there is some street noise it didn't bother us at all. We came to Venice to get amongst it and this hotel is a great starting point - the staff can advise you on anything you want to know about local life. Also anyone who complains about the lift needs their head checked - coming from Australia I have only ever seen birdcage lifts in movies so I was stoked to see it and it works just fine. If I am lucky enough to get the chance I will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hawkeyed
AndyLayman, Owner at Venice Beach Suites & Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
I want to personally thank all of our prior guests for their great comments about us on Tripadvisor. We try very hard to make their Venice Beach Experience a great one. .

Our staff is the best and is willing to help our guests anyway they can. We are here to be of service to you.

Andy Layman, Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I love history... and for me, this little hotel had serious history.
I was worried at first as I really needed a good night sleep and the boardwalk seemed like it would never quiet down as it was just such as circus. A little culture shock when I first arrived ;) However, just like it was the end of the business day, everyone packed up and went home. It was kind of funny actually as I fully expected the side show to continue well into the evening but it just stopped all of a sudden.
The hotel is quite old... one of the oldest structures on Venice Beach. The gentleman at the front desk had a huge amount of information about the area - he was 3rd generation Venice Beach resident. A great guy to talk to about the history of the place. Also, the hotel really embraces its roots with great historic pictures all over the hotel. Bed`s could have been better, but they weren't bad. Location was amazing! Great run on the beach in the morning! Will visit again... Thanks for the great experience!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank James P
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I'm a big fan of Venice Beach and just love the area. This hotel was great as it's literally right on the boardwalk, which worked for me! I was travelling alone but felt safe as houses here. The staff were fantastic. When my room had a minor plumbing mishap they rushed to my rescue and gave me my room at a cheaper rate for my final night. I also seemed to have some wifi hic-cups and rather than blame my computer (which was probably the problem) they simply gave me the password to their office wifi so I could get on to that as it was less busy. I thought they were completely fantastic. The room was comfortable and homey and clean. I had everything I needed. They've made an attempt to funkify the bathroom and the kitchen was well stocked. I booked an Ocean Front room and had a 2nd floor perfect view of the beach. I was brilliant. To top it off they told me next time I come and stay to ensure that I tell them I am coming from Australia as they always try to organise early check in for Aussie's and Kiwi's coming straight from the plane. So there's a tip! I really loved these guys. I'll stay there again in a heartbeat, in fact I am next year! And if I could take a couple of months off and bum around, I would go and stay there and just commune with all the weird and wonderful people of Venice Beach.

Room Tip: The Ocean Front rooms on the upper floor are great, but more expensive. My room was 2nd floor.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank sweetondean
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We spent 1 night in Venice Beach after a drive down the PCH! Venice Beach Suites & Hotel was a perfect spot to stay. We would definitely stay here again. The hotel staff is super friendly & the room was perfect. Wish we had known how wonderful it was & would have planned to stay longer. Our only regret was the uncooperative weather - it was foggy & cold.
Hope to plan a trip here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
London, England
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I write this review a couple of months after my trip. I've been busy. I'm sitting at home in the dull British Weather, feeling a little down, so what do I do to cheer myself up? I take my mind back to my recent trip to Venice Beach. Suddenly I'm smiling and sighing that I'm not there right now.

I wrote a glowing review on Venice Beach Suites a few years ago. Will my third stay warrant another positive review or has the place lost it's magic? Lost its magic? It's mastered the book of spells! I've been staying here since 2005 and from Heart can say the place has gotten better with every trip. When I booked this trip I actually got a deal on a nother hotel just down the Boardwalk. It was a great deal so I booked that hotel. Uneasy and not content with that decision though a couple of days later I cancelled and booked with Venice Beach Suites. Suddenly I was content again and amped for my trip. Venice Beach Suites had never let me down on being THE place to stay in Venice and this visit was no different. Can you tell I love the place?

The past two times I had stayed I had the same room, as I have a soft spot for that room I emailed the guys before leaving requesting the same room. When I arrived after the extremely warm welcome you receive in walking into the office, I was given the bad news. They could not accommodate my request for that particular room as the person in the room extended their stay. The bad news was cushioned though...a complimentary upgrade to their huge Ocean Front suite. When I walked in to the suite I had to go back downstairs to thank the guys again. All the rooms are great, but this one was phenomenal. Gestures like this aren't grounds to build a review around because it was a one off luxury...but wow was the one of luxury appreciated.

The suite was huge, beautifully decorated, clean and the view out of this World. It's an old building...very old, but Andy and his team keep everything looking good and worthy of being in 2011.

The staff, from the owner (Andy) all the way through to his Janitorial people are just great. Genuinely friendly, helpful, professional, talented and overall cool people to be around. You couldn't be made to feel more welcome and whatever you need is never too much trouble. Whilst a well oiled machine, the place really has a family feel to it unlike a more standard hotel chain.

Location is very important when choosing somewhere to stay and it doesn't get much better than the location here. Venice Beach Suites is right on the Boardwalk and is positioned at a really good part of the Boardwalk, very central and right next to the Side Walk Cafe, which is a good landmark when meeting people etc. Once darkness falls on Venice, that Baywatch feel does disappear and for many the area may seem a little intimidating with homeless people and youths walking the boardwalk. That said though, in all the time I've stayed on Venice Beach I have never seen notable trouble, let alone been the victim of it. If you are the type to be a little spooked by the beach crazies at night then you'll be pleased to hear you feel very secure inside the hotel. Never is security even been the hint of an issue to me.

Cost. It's hard to word this right. Is Venice Beach Suites so cheap you could find some change on the boardwalk and book a room for the night? No. There are cheaper hotels in the area. That said though there are far more expensive hotels that offer a lot less than Venice Beach Suites in the area too. Considering the location, the fact you get a suite rather just a room the cost is actually very reasonable for the area. You get what you pay for and in truth you get a great bang for your buck.

I genuinely would not stay anywhere else when visiting Venice. The people, the rooms, the location, it all adds up to this hotel being a big part of amazing trips. The biggest compliment I can give is the fact I keep spending my hard earned money to return here.

Could I find a critism? The only thing I could say is that this time there seemed to be less channels available on the TV. Previously it seemed the rooms were subscribed to a huge TV package. Is this a deal breaker? I think not, but going up a TV package again would be great. Maybe I need to get a life and not travel thousands of miles to watch TV?

Thank you Andy, thank you guys, look forward to seeing you all again in the New Year.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Marina Del Rey
The Kinney
The Kinney
#3 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to Venice Beach Suites & Hotel? Share your experiences!