“Good service, clean, convenient location to everything”

Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West
Ranked #148 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 21 April 2017

Let me start with the one and only bad thing, the photos we saw online depict a large lovely pool. There is a small pool/hot tub approximately 12'x15' (?) it's not what was in the photo. However, it was relaxing after a long day of walking.

Nice breakfast, good, fresh selection . Friendly staff. Clean!

The room was clean, quiet, and comfortable.

The location: keep in mind that you are in downtown LA. The neighborhood has a lot of homeless on the streets, the park is questionable however we went for a walk there, didn't get robbed. Every morning there are little "booths" set up on the streets with locals selling all sorts of things. Felt like Tijuana. However, you turn the corner towards the hotel and go in and it's clean, modern and quite safe. You can get anywhere in about 30 minutes it seemed. Uber found us with no problem. Uber Eats was great, lots to choose from in the area.

We used the fitness room. No weights but there was enough to have a good cardio workout.

I would stay there again. I would recommend it to others. The hotel was great and the staff were very nice.

Room Tip: There really is no view that I know of. All rooms have AC.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank hmlphoenix

Reviewed 17 April 2017

The positives to this hotel is that the staff are great. They are friendly and treat everyone with the kind of respect you would expect.
One the downside: The hotel is located in a rough neighborhood, although I walked around the neighborhood several days while staying there and did not have any problems. It's just full of trash, sketchy store-fronts, graffiti, and homeless people. If you have to get around, the hotel shuttle is available by a call to the front desk, to the immediate area. There is a Metro station two blocks away, which is nice if you need to use that to get to Hollywood or downtown (a cheap option instead of trying to find parking). My room looked out on an abandoned building with a homeless guy sleeping out back. The property has been fenced off by the city, but it still looks like you're in the middle of a slum. Noise in the room was canceled out by either running the fan on high, or using my phone's white-noise app. The air-conditioning unit was spotty, sometimes running so long that I had to turn it off before I froze to death, but other times not running at all until I again adjusted it to get it to turn on. Kind of fickle. The first room they moved me into, had a mini-fridge that was not working right, so they moved me to another room next-door. One afternoon I found that the pipes had backed up into my bathroom sink - so I was greeted upon return to my room with a smelly, brown, gross looking sewer water half-filling my sink! Thankfully the maintenance guy came right away to get it fixed and cleaned up. The only other poor thing about my stay was that they promised to send me my final bill by email upon my check-out. I got home and nothing had been sent. I had to email the front-desk to get my bill, but they sent me a quick little bill with no break downs of the costs. Tried to get it online, however, Holiday Inn's online system was down for maintenance of course, so I had to call and send another email to get them to send a correct bill statement. Still waiting for that as a half-hour ago....
Overall the room was average - offering a mini-fridge, microwave, and coffee-maker. A small bag of plastic eating utensils, napkins, and paper plates was provided in the cabinets for use. My king sized 2-room suite had the main room with a king sized bed, which was comfortable, the mini-fridge, TV, desk, sitting chair, closet with a safe, and a dresser. The second room was simply a couch, dresser with TV, table with 2 chairs, cabinets with a microwave and a sink. No windows in the second room. Rooms are minimally decorated, so it's not a place for you to feel "at home" in - just more of a place to just come back from business or sightseeing to go to sleep.
Parking on site is limited, but free. I did notice some evenings that people were pulling in trying to find a spot to park but there was no room. Don't know where they had to go to find parking. If you have to park offsite you'll probably have to pay at least $8 or more (probably more for overnight).
Hint: if you want to grab a bite to eat and don't want to drive, take the Metro red/purple line to Koreatown, as there are quite a few options in that area. It is only a couple miles away and would cost around $2.50 (plus the TAP card cost of $7).
I had business here in the area, so it was convenient. However, I probably wouldn't have stayed here for any other reason. Only because I had to.

Room Tip: There is no good view from this hotel due to the neighborhood it is in.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2017

This was my first stay at Holiday Inn Express LA Downtown. Great staff and clean rooms. I was most impressed when I got a voicemail message and a follow-up call from Aida that I left my IPad in my room. She is superb and immediately arranged for my IPad to be shipped back. Stellar service - thanks Aida!!!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 March 2017 via mobile

After spending all day walking around downtown Los Angeles this Holiday Inn Express was a welcome Oasis at the end of the day. Safe, friendly, convenient. We will definitely stay there again. Parking was convenient for our needs and the location is great. The staff is friendly and helpful.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2017

I'm from the Uk, so bear that in mind when reading this review! I was in LA on business and asked to get somewhere close to the office under $200. My travel company found me this place. It was 1.7 miles from my office, and I had planned to walk from hotel to office, however after spending 10 mins walking down the street, I quickly came to the conclusion that the immediate area around the hotel was not safe to walk around, even in daylight. So effectively I became a prisoner in the hotel, having to order deliveries for dinner and having to take a cab/hotel shuttle everywhere.

The view out of the back of the hotel is horrendous, looks like something out of a gangster movie, with a view of derelict buildings and homeless people sleeping out the back.

The hotel and room looked tired and dated. The breakfast was so, so and nothing special, and in my opinion, not as good or varied a breakfast as we get in HIE in the UK. My expectation and experience is that US hotels are usually of a much better standard than in the UK, but unfortunately not in this case. Also, the cost of the room was incredibly high for the quality. I've stayed in 4* hotels in central London for much cheaper than this. But to be fair I do appreciate hotel costs are always relative to the city you're in and I have no previous experience of LA.

The wifi in the hotel was poor. It regularly dropped and was consistently slow, which added to my feelings of frustration and imprisonment! I struggled to make an audio facetime call back home.

The only real positive from my stay was the staff. Without exception, they were helpful and friendly, so no complaints in that department. The free hotel shuttle was usually available and very useful given the hotel's location.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank M D
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2017

Hi M D,

Thank you for your stay and for leaving a review about our hotel on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is extremely important as this will help us to achieve our mission to provide the perfect guest experience. It is good to hear that you found our staff friendly. However, we are sorry to hear that some of our amenities and facilities did not live up to your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

While we understand you did not have an overall great stay, we sincerely hope to get another chance to give you a more pleasurable stay should you be in the area again.

Christian C.