“Friendly people; Location is a problem”

Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West
Ranked #144 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 29 September 2017

We stayed here for a couple of nights and the staff was warm and friendly. Did not like the location - though it is close to downtown, walked around a bit and did not feel comfortable in the locality - retail and food options around it was not appealing and we drove down to downtown next day for lunch... Tried the gym here and like most other Expresses, it was not good as well... only one treadmill, an exercise bike and no weights... will possibly not go back...

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Los Angeles Downtown West, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Hello Amit_Sengupta,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am thrilled to hear that our warm and friendly staff contributed in making your experience comfortable and memorable. On the other hand, I am sorry for your disappointment with our location and fitness center facility. I appreciate the feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 20 September 2017

Here are the four primary reasons my stay at this property was so awesome: 1) Aida 2) Rafael 3) Juan 4) Ivan. Wow! These four individual know customer service. Aida was the person who checked me in. She made me feel as though our meeting was a reunion of sorts. For me, the reception is almost everything, and her reception truly set the stage for the remainder of my stay. Aida's style of welcoming me was an 11, on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest. Rafael was the person who prepared the breakfast each morning. If I didn't know any better, I would think that he and I were best friends back in high school. He is one of the happiest and most pleasant persons you'll ever come across. Each day I needed a ride in the hotel van to the Staples Center area, and that's where Ivan and Juan took center stage. These gentlemen transported me with such pleasure, it's as if they were told that I was some sort of dignitary. Each morning there was a wonderful hot breakfast. The hotel was typical Holiday Inn quality. The hotel offers complimentary messages. There's free Wi-Fi. One evening there was a wine tasting. I don't recall if the lady hosting this event said that this was done Tue and Thur, or just Tue. One thing is for sure, it was each week. There were other snacks to go along with the wine offering. Oh, and then there was free ice cream available. For you old schoolers, you would appreciate having to dip it from this 5-gallon drum. I loved it. I have ice cream maybe 10 times a year. During my 4-day stay, I treated myself each night. It was just too tasty. There was a microwave in the breakfast area. There was a refrigerator in my room. The location of the hotel is very convenient to the Staples Center area, without the high price tag of hotels in the middle of the Staples Center area. I had a rental car for one day, and there's FREE parking. If I ever have a stay in the downtown/Staples Center area in the future, I know where I'll book my hotel stay. Aida, Rafael, Ivan, and Juan, thank you very, very, very much for a most pleasurable experience. The amenities were great, but you all, with your 5-star level of customer service made all the difference!

Room Tip: Any room is a good room.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Trevor C
Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

I stayed on points a second trip and this will probably be my last stay there. Location is sketchy though close to downtown. Homeless everywhere and grime and low end retail options. The halls were a sauna and so was the room - it was a heatwave apparently. Ac couldn't cope. Fridges in room didn't work. Parking isn't free either anymore. Boo.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 August 2017

The hotel is located about 12 minutes from the convention center in a rundown neighborhood with an abandoned building next door and homeless sleeping there.The staff was wonderful except the manager who managed to not be there every morning I tried to talk with her before going to my convention.Very little was done to attempt to repair the one elevator on the property so everyone had to lug their suitcases up the stairs. Upon departure I asked for help and no one came so did it myself. Not worth the money and Holiday Inn should try to compensate. Not what I expected. Parking is free. I did not walk outside the hotel. This hotel has free shuttle within 10 miles of hotel leaving on the hour and half hour. There is a pool the size of a hot tub. The hotel was clean and quiet inside, but noisy outside with sirens. The breakfast was fine.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 June 2017

This hotel should remove the Express from their title. We weren't looking for anything fancy/upscale, just a place to lay our head for few nights while in LA. A couple of things. It's advertised as downtown and it's not. It's in a neighborHOOD called Westlake, close to but not Downtown. It was expensive for what we got. The elevators didn't work. We opted to stay an extra night (a Sunday) for convenience and the price jumped by 25%.

The location although not in walking distance to anything you'd want to visit, is centrally located, so there's that. Staff were friendly also. Otherwise don't waste your money here. For 2 bills a night you can find much better options.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple