“Good (Not Great) French Food at Good Prices”

Le Petit Paris Los Angeles
Ranked #479 of 10,843 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 20 March 2018

Went here with my family for dinner and was pleasantly surprised by the meal. The restaurant has an enclosed outdoor seating area and a nice indoor area as well. The atmosphere is pleasant and welcoming and the dress is casual and laid back. The service was good, not spot on, but good enough to match the value of the meal. We were seated quickly and presented with menus. The waiter took a bit to join us and was a bit slow in getting drinks, our order and our bill, but not to the level of being annoying just a bit slower than I prefer.

The food was really quite good. I lived in Paris for a year and enjoyed the many many fine traditional French dishes I ate there. While this food in not on par with many of those meals, it is very good French Comfort Food. I ordered the seared foie gras and loved every bit. It was done very well. The lamb shank was great and I even sucked the marrow from the bone. Perfect.

Everyone enjoyed their meals and all of the food was done very nicely. I think my favorite thing about this place is that it is really good French food in a casual environment. So I can just show up without much planning and enjoy a very good French meal without dressing up or spending a lot of money.

This is now my new favorite and I will be back to try some of the other offerings on the menu. Good food, good prices and causal atmosphere - big win all around.

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

I’ve tolerated the quirky “habits” of the staff at Petite Paris for a couple of years now. Once I tried to order a simple salad and they didn’t have any lettuce, another time the host forgot to seat me, nothing horrible, just consistently quirky. I live next door and its convenient to drop by for a quick bite - last night’s meal was just bizarre and my last. After I was seated, but before I ordered the server asked me for my credit card. I asked the manager if I was somehow a “dine and dash” threat and he explained that the establishment has a long standing policy of asking customers to surrender their credit cards before meals. Good luck Petite Paris I‘ll eat French cuisine up the street at Spring.

1  Thank peterm312
Reviewed 30 January 2018

We stumbled upon this place one random night when I parked 4 blocks away from little damages.
Walking back to the car, melting ice cream in hand I did a double.
WOW what a magnificent building. I love old downtown building. This was amazing.
I looked at the display menu that was sitting outside and holly crap was it expensive lol.
Another day hahahaha

Anime expo, 4 happy hours down, I decided to finally come here.

Do not regret it at all. Before we were seated our server gladly gave us a quick tour of the building. The wine room is super cute, the grand staircase is amazing, the renovation was perfect. Upstairs is great, perfect for a large group.

Sat down next to the main bar, there was a bachelorette group there, um this isn't a club, I was like wtf go away weirdos.
I was thinking maybe they did dinner and knew someone there. Whatever I wasn't really hating or anything they just started to get super loud and sloppy.

The manager came over and apologized which I thought was extremely thoughtful, I told him it really wasn't his fault, people will be people.

Ordered a nice bottle of wine and of course I had to order something in the cheese wheel.
Wtf!!!!
The flambeed cognac pasta in a cheese wheel with black Italian truffle. Omg it was amazing, delicious!!! Yes it's $58 but worth every penny. I split it with my friend and it was just the perfect portion.

The service was amazing, our server was knowledge, attentive, nice, very charismatic. Made the experience more enjoyable.
The bus boy or should I say bus man lol added to the greatest, he was also super helpful and funny.
They have this gigantic black pepper thing. Lol it's like huge and they use it to put pepper on food hahahah.

My other friend finally made it and joined us, just in time for her birthday macaroons and candles!
The manager came back to our table and gave us a tiny gift, macaroons, to take home, to apologize and thank us for giving the restaurant a try.
Thank you so much for everything, I will defiantly recommend and come back here again and again.

It's a perfect spot for a date, maybe not a first because it's $$$$$

I had written down the names of the manager, bus boy and server but I can't find it anywhere!
I remember the manger was on the younger side, with and accent. Exceptional managerial service.

Reviewed 28 January 2018

We decided to go for LA Dine, generally a good value for more expensive restaurants.
We were disappointed that they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory and that the food quality varied from great to fair.
Arrived at 6.30pm, offered seating upstairs, nice ambience and setting.
Server Michelle is excellent, settles us with water and the menus.
Wine list is excellent and they have dropped prices on several wines since a poor visit.
Ordered from LA Dine menu...
8.15pm no food, server comes to table to ask how we enjoyed our first course ... we have not had first course. Busser has taken to wrong table. By this time one of our party is almost unconscious from hypoglycemia and wine is almost done. Our server walks to the kitchen and our first cause arrives around 8.30pm - Fois gras is very good, Mackerel dish also very good.

Main courses arrive - lamb shank nicely flavored, tender, excellent. Fish stew - very over salted, but clams under done (?)

Desert: Pear with chocolate pleasant not overpowering, creme brullee creation really too sweet and lacking balance.
Complimentary champagne provided with desert with apologies all round.

We have been here several times. It approaches the highest price point in the city and is generally good to excellent. One might dismiss poor coordination and variable food on one occasion and explain away differential performance through DineLA. Reviews in recent months suggest this is a recurrent pattern and that they are totally disorganized in terms of coordinating kitchen to table where they could use a trip to Redbird or Perch to see how its done.

AOOT

Reviewed 22 January 2018

Came during Dine LA week. The space is beautiful. If you seat on one of the regular tables it will be best. We were sited on a high chair table by the wall which I didn't find comfortable. The server was very nice and made a very good wine suggestion (after the wine we wanted was not available). The food was good, but I am not sure I will be coming back. Nothing stood out for the price paid.